Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler compared to CC1
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 7:37pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler vs CC1

Iluvdabean Said:

I agree with you on the title,its seems a bit leading and suggestive. I mean to me the BDB part could have been left out and
what might have been an alternative would be, Is the CC1 a good machine for 2 people in an office? Maybe before this
does go south the OP would let you change the title or start over. I dont see what it has to do with the BDB really. Its more about the office and
a unit that will meet certain requirements and expectations.

Posted March 23, 2013 link

It's a tricky title, but I was more interested in trying to find out how much of a "downgrade" it will be from a BDB to a CC1, since the BDB is what I have experience with.  The BDB part is relevant, because I am happy with that machine, and if there is something about the CC1 that will give me fundamentally poorer results than the CC1, I would like to know that before I bite the bullet.

The office part really isn't all that relevant since I am effectively using it in a 2 person office.  I just wanted to explain why I was having two machines.
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 7:57pm

Alex I wont adress that question in relation to BDB since I am biased. I will say this and leave it at that, if it were me and i was looking for a machine to meet that requirement
it would hands down be the Silvia V3. I would rather temp surf if I needed to and have a machine thats going to last a long long time and with the right person makes espresso
to die for. Im weird that way though,I like tried and true designs and  long track records.The Silvia is legendary it truly is.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 8:11pm

I have a BDB at home and at the office, but I have owned a Silvia and a PIDed Lelit. I'd prefer ANYTHING with a PID over a Silvia without.

I haven't used the CC1, but it sounds like a good machine for the price. If there are only 2 of you, you might want consider the Lelit PL4TEM (has PID) to save more money - this is a business, right? Once you get any of these machines dialed in, the results will be very similar if you have a good grinder.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 8:19pm

Alex, good job "moderating " your thread!
I wonder, as you really enjoy your BDB, maybe PM the powers that be at Breville, identify yourself as a VERY happy owner, explain your situation.
they might find you a like new refurb at a price too good to resist.
This way, your a happy camper at work, more productive, who knows?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 9:24pm

Alex, good job "moderating " your thread!
I wonder, as you really enjoy your BDB, maybe PM the powers that be at Breville, identify yourself as a VERY happy owner, explain your situation.
they might find you a like new refurb at a price too good to resist.
This way, your a happy camper at work, more productive, who knows?

I would buy a refurb BDB in a New York second, if I could buy it for the price of a CC1.  However, as much as I like the BDB, I am wondering whether I bought more than I needed.  I almost never steam and pour shots at the same time, because I want to observe the shot closely.  Given that, I am wondering whether the CC1 would have been good enough for me.  As I have learned more, the machines seem very similar.  The main functional difference that I can see is that the CC1 doesn't have a PID heated group head.  Everything else seems functionally identical.

It will be interesting to compare the machines side-by-side.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 9:29pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

I would buy a refurb BDB in a New York second, if I could buy it for the price of a CC1.  However, as much as I like the BDB, I am wondering whether I bought more than I needed.  I almost never steam and pour shots at the same time, because I want to observe the shot closely.  Given that, I am wondering whether the CC1 would have been good enough for me.  As I have learned more, the machines seem very similar.  The main functional difference that I can see is that the CC1 doesn't have a PID heated group head.  Everything else seems functionally identical.

It will be interesting to compare the machines side-by-side.

Well, there is the fact that the Breville has a traditional boiler for steaming, as opposed to the thermoblock, and is feature laden.
That said, for the office, you may be onto something, and the designer/namesake of the C1 machine has a well earned reputation.
Now that I've confused you further. :>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 9:47pm

IMAWriter Said:

Well, there is the fact that the Breville has a traditional boiler for steaming, as opposed to the thermoblock, and is feature laden.
That said, for the office, you may be onto something, and the designer/namesake of the C1 machine has a well earned reputation.
Now that I've confused you further. :>D

My hunch is that the type of steaming is not all that critical, as long as it works.  Steam is steam.

Right now the CC1 is on sale at Seattle Coffee Gear for $700.  The BDB is $500 more.  As much as I like the BDB, I am not sure the additional features it has are worth $500 more, especially if they make equivalent shots.   The dual boiler is not anywhere near as big of a deal as I thought it would be.  The one big feature I would miss, though, is the easy front/top area to refill the tank.  I wish every machine had that; it is really convenient.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 11:26pm

That will make work a whole lot more fun.

AlexKilpatrick Said:

My hunch is that the type of steaming is not all that critical, as long as it works.  Steam is steam.

Right now the CC1 is on sale at Seattle Coffee Gear for $700.  The BDB is $500 more.  As much as I like the BDB, I am not sure the additional features it has are worth $500 more, especially if they make equivalent shots.   The dual boiler is not anywhere near as big of a deal as I thought it would be.  The one big feature I would miss, though, is the easy front/top area to refill the tank.  I wish every machine had that; it is really convenient.

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 1:41am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler compared to CC1

Get your office mate to kick in half, you get what you want and he gets good coffee for less than the corner shop and without the trip

Problem solved
YMMV.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 9:36am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler compared to CC1

I think that is a great idea.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.528506994247)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+