Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 86 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 8:30pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra E61 HX - $995!

So mine is arriving this week. I tested 4 types of water and here are the results.Which is the best to use? Our tap water doesn't taste the best. G = General hardness which was calcium and magnesium. The TDS readings are from my TDS meter.
I ask this in light of the softener that comes with this unit from 1stLine.

Arrow
TDS 81
G 60ppm

Nestle Purified drinking water with minerals added
TDS 48
G 30ppm

Tap
TDS214
G 0 ( tested twice)

Crystal Geyser Natural Alpine
TDS 46
G 0

1stline Said:

Yes, it is a bit much. If you are religious about recharging the water softener, you can do a descaling every 3 months. However, if you forget to recharge, then descale every month. It also matters which water you are using. If you have 1-2 French degrees water hardness, your descaling regimen should be less often. If you are over 7 french degrees, descaling should be the more often.

Posted January 3, 2012 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
grant862

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Portola Coffee Lab (yum)
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 10:03pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

So I tested the hardness of my water from my brita jug, with this product and it was about 100-120 ppm. When I used that water in addition to the water softener in the reservoir, my shots/drinks/plain water out of the machine tasted really salty.

So I took out the water softener, which fixed the saltiness and am just using my brita filtered water now. I just descaled 4 months later (2 shots per day, 5-6 days a week) and my water was pretty clean, a few floaties and a slight green tint to the water while I was filling the boiler with dezcale. So I plan on descaling twice a year.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
888RP

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 8:35am

hey guys,

first and foremost i would like to thanks all of you - you made pulling the trigger on this machine really easy. My machine is arriving on Thursday and i do have 2 questions:

1. Water hardness - I live downtown Toronto, Canada. From this: http://www.toronto.ca/water/faq.htm where they state: "What is Toronto's 'water hardness' and how does it affect me?
    Toronto's water hardness is usually between 106 to 127 parts per million (the average for 2009 was 120 milligram/litre or 8.4 grains/imperial gallon). Lake Ontario water is considered 'moderate' terms of water hardness. There are no harmful health effects associated with these minerals (in fact, some believe they are beneficial), but measuring them does provide a guideline as to how water use may be affected. For example, hard water does result in more scale buildup and you need to use more soap and detergents. If you choose a water softener, it's recommended that a separate, unsoftened supply of water be kept for cooking and drinking.

is 106-127ppm acceptable or is there someway i should treat the water to make it sofer?

1. So I moved in to a condo building that was built in the last 4-5 years... it's quite modern. Would it be dangerous or not recommended to plug in a Vario and the Cuadra into the same eletrical outlet (ie. do you think i run the risk of blowing a fuse or damaging either machine if i'm operating both and they're plugged into the same wall outlet?)

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Deus

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 11:38am

At the end of my instake is the big yfilter with the yellow substance in it. Did you get rid of that?
kajitox

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodom French Press,...
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:15pm

888RP Said:

hey guys,

first and foremost i would like to thanks all of you - you made pulling the trigger on this machine really easy. My machine is arriving on Thursday and i do have 2 questions:

Water hardness - I live downtown Toronto, Canada. From this: http://www.toronto.ca/water/faq.htm where they state: "What is Toronto's 'water hardness' and how does it affect me?
Toronto's water hardness is usually between 106 to 127 parts per million (the average for 2009 was 120 milligram/litre or 8.4 grains/imperial gallon). Lake Ontario water is considered 'moderate' terms of water hardness. There are no harmful health effects associated with these minerals (in fact, some believe they are beneficial), but measuring them does provide a guideline as to how water use may be affected. For example, hard water does result in more scale buildup and you need to use more soap and detergents. If you choose a water softener, it's recommended that a separate, unsoftened supply of water be kept for cooking and drinking.

is 106-127ppm acceptable or is there someway i should treat the water to make it sofer?

Posted March 25, 2013 link

As quoted from section 3.1 of the Insanely Long Water FAQ:

"Fortunately, the effect of water on coffee is a different story. Taste testing by various authorities over the past twenty years has established a rough agreement that neutral pH water with 90 mg/l hardness is optimal for coffee taste."

That being said, the author does follow that quote up with saying that most non-commercial folks are best served by using the water that comes into their house normally, and descaling preventatively. All depends on what you want to do.
888RP

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:18pm

kajitox Said:

As quoted from section 3.1 of the Insanely Long Water FAQ:

"Fortunately, the effect of water on coffee is a different story. Taste testing by various authorities over the past twenty years has established a rough agreement that neutral pH water with 90 mg/l hardness is optimal for coffee taste."

That being said, the author does follow that quote up with saying that most non-commercial folks are best served by using the water that comes into their house normally, and descaling preventatively. All depends on what you want to do.

Posted March 25, 2013 link

ahh okay. Thanks for your reply. I assume the water softener in the cuadra should help bring it down a bit... but i have no idea by how much. I'll try tap water to start and maybe experiement after a while.

Thanks!
scanfield

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 7:21pm

grant862 Said:

So I took out the water softener, which fixed the saltiness

Posted March 24, 2013 link

Salty? There was something wrong with your softener if it was making the water salty or maybe you didn't rinse it enough after regeneration.
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 8:51am

Question gents.

Anyone know of a way to get the softener to not rattle around the water tank when the pump is on?  I've found lately, that I notice it rattling in there when the pump is engaged.  Nothing super loud, but you can hear it.
kajitox

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodom French Press,...
Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013, 10:27am

Got it yesterday and pulled my first shot (ever) last night. It was pure garbage, but it was awesome! Here's to learning!

PS: my 5th shot was much improved after adjusting my grind, warming the portafilter, adjusting my distribution technique, and tamping correctly.
Deus

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 7:51am

Does it matter which backflushing solution I use on this machine? Also descaling solution? Any suggestions?
showing page 86 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.432866811752)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+