Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 111 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 3:31pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

DeanOK Said:

I am home from work now so I checked that plug. First, the plug was not in the hole when the machine arrived, it was just laying in the bag.  I put it in when I unboxed the machine, but it didn't seem to want to go in well. I now realize why because the black plastic plug was hitting the adjustment on the pump and that would not allow it to seat in the hole and snap it.

When I came home, I put the blind basket in and turned the machine on. I then pulled the black plastic plug out. I couldn't tell any difference in noise, but I put my finger on the pump and it does have a noticeable amount of vibration. However, pushing on the pump through the hold lightly didn't make much difference and if I pushed more firmly, it made the pump louder.

FWIW

Posted September 4, 2013 link

On some machines the pump adjuster just touches (mine), on some it doesn't, it's a matter of a millimetre or so and reflects the differences in hand made machines. I have suggested they might look at the acorn nut type of adjuster as it's about 5mm shallower and should simply be an alternative option within the same pump.

Other things that can affect noise are positioning of any internal components, side panels, water tank carrier, just shifting those fractionally can make all the difference. In addition sometimes a little piece of stick one side foam rubber in the lift of cup warmer tray area can help. To the person who said they could feel the pump vibrating, yes you will, it's on rubber mounts and you will feel it. I'm possibly lucky, mines very quiet..but the first machine I had was probably even quieter. I also took both mine apart and when I put them back together, I am a bit anal about getting it absolutely right.
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 3:58pm

DavecUK Said:

On some machines the pump adjuster just touches (mine), on some it doesn't, it's a matter of a millimetre or so and reflects the differences in hand made machines. I have suggested they might look at the acorn nut type of adjuster as it's about 5mm shallower and should simply be an alternative option within the same pump.

Other things that can affect noise are positioning of any internal components, side panels, water tank carrier, just shifting those fractionally can make all the difference. In addition sometimes a little piece of stick one side foam rubber in the lift of cup warmer tray area can help. To the person who said they could feel the pump vibrating, yes you will, it's on rubber mounts and you will feel it. I'm possibly lucky, mines very quiet..but the first machine I had was probably even quieter. I also took both mine apart and when I put them back together, I am a bit anal about getting it absolutely right.

I took that tray off of the top and pushed around on the cabinet and don't really find much of anything that makes a lot of difference. I really don't consider mine to be noisy enough to be an issue for me. I realize you can hear it in the video, but when I am standing right next to it I don't find the noise objectionable. My old machine was a vibe pump I could hear all over the house so maybe I am desensitized.
SylvainMtl

Espresso: Elektra Sixties A3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly with...
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 4:06pm

It's not objectionable.  It actually sounds like most other SS box type machines witt internal rotary pumps, this is to say, it doesn't sound especially quiet either.  The only thing that maybe abnormal (not sure) is the high pitch noise when you first engaged the pump in the video.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 4:12pm

SylvainMtl Said:

It's not objectionable.  It actually sounds like most other SS box type machines witt internal rotary pumps, this is to say, it doesn't sound especially quiet either.  The only thing that maybe abnormal (not sure) is the high pitch noise when you first engaged the pump in the video.

do you mean the scale beep?? Dean, do you normally pull to 1.5 ounces? how much are you dosing?
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 4:29pm

cuznvin Said:

do you mean the scale beep?? Dean, do you normally pull to 1.5 ounces? how much are you dosing?

I don't pay any attention to the ounces. I dose 18g and try to yield about 30-32g. Seems like that is always my sweet spot. I am looking for the correct time since I changed machines though. Its looking like 25-28 second from first drip on this machine.  I just now pulled a shot that went 34 grams in about 23 seconds and its not so great.

I notice that I don't get as much crema off of the shot when the beans have been frozen. If those had been fresh unfrozen beans I imagine the crema would have touched the 2oz mark.
SylvainMtl

Espresso: Elektra Sixties A3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly with...
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 4:43pm

cuznvin Said:

I hope you are kidding... I said when the pump is engaged, not 8 seconds after.  There is a screeching sound, don't know, might the be motor.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 4:45pm

SylvainMtl Said:

I hope you are kidding... I said when the pump is engaged.  There is a screeching sound, don't know, might the be motor.

hey.. ive seen a lot worse here!
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 4:57pm

SylvainMtl Said:

I hope you are kidding... I said when the pump is engaged, not 8 seconds after.  There is a screeching sound, don't know, might the be motor.

Dang, you have good hearing. I turned the audio all the way up and didn't hear it. I can tell you it sounds almost the same as the 3 group La Marzocco  that is in the coffee shop about 3 miles from my house. I am perfectly happy with the noise level and don't plan on worrying about it at this point.
ECM
ECM

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 4:59pm

Boy I guess I really opened a can of worms with the vibration loudness comments.  I do think it's probably just a case of the video camera favoring the frequencyf response from  the buzz of your pump.  

Concerning the higher pump readings then what CCS had originally set the machine for??

Thatís actually quite normal from what I understand.

When I took ownership of my GS3 CCS had naturally conducted the bench test and had it all set up for me.  However, when I got the machine set up in my home in Ontario I noticed that the pump pressure was hitting around 10.5 when pulling a shot.  I then lowered it back down manually and everything was fine again.  

I remember reading somewhere that your pump pressure can read differently based on altitude above sea level.  Iím not sure where the gentlemen who commented on his pump pressure being too high is from but Iím willing to bet itís not Albany New York.  In other wordsÖ. A correct pump pressure in New York is going to differ substantially if you take that same machine to Bolder Colorado.  Bolder is a lot higher in altitude and therefore, I thinkÖÖ it would require that the user reduce the pressure to accommodate the higher altitude?      

We should all probably double check our pump pressure upon first receiving an espresso machine to adjust it correctly for our own specific atmospheric conditions.  Just something to keep in mind.

Rob
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 5:24pm

ECM Said:

Boy I guess I really opened a can of worms with the vibration loudness comments.  I do think it's probably just a case of the video camera favoring the frequencyf response from  the buzz of your pump.  

Here is a little test with an Android sound level meter... have no idea how accurate this is... but maybe it will help you

I turned off everything I could find in my house that made noise except the blower on my air conditioner which runs at a very low speed when the ac I not on ((I cant hear it). It was quiet but I could hear kids playing outside in the cul-de-sac.

Background noise in the kitchen with nothing running was showing    38db.
12" in front of V2V with pump running and blind basket installed        69db
12" in front of vibe machine with blind basket and pump running        82db

I then fanned the door on the refrigerator so the refrigerator would kick on. Standing in front of the refrigerator (doors closed) I measured 52 db with it running. Nothing else in the kitchen was on.
showing page 111 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.503318786621)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+