Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 116 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 10:24am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

cuznvin Said:

Guess they forgot to turn yours upside down when they packed it..

Posted September 6, 2013 link

Actually, one thing does occur to me regarding transit damage. In the US it's so much bigger and the package probably goes through lots of transit stations, including internal air freight. So I suppose there's a LOT more opportunity for rough handling than in the UK.
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 3:18pm

Hey!! Got my 4 hole tip.... maybe I can get my microfoam as good as my espresso... I will sure give it a try.
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 3:21pm

I am enjoying my coffee and so is my husband but I need to mention that I drink coffee with milk and sugar and he drinks coffee with sugar.

The coffees are much better than our drip coffee maker and better than the super automatics too but the straight espresso is rather bitter.  

I am just a beginner so I don't know how to proceed or just not bother since the end product is wonderful.  It is apparent that it is better because I am actually finishing my coffee while it is still hot instead of having it be ice cold and still quite a bit left in the mug as with the coffee from the drip coffee maker.

I am using 16 grams of beans for my coffee and my husband is using 18 grams.  The grinder is a Nuova Simonelli set at 7.5 at the zero mark.  It is a nice used grinder and can be changed at extremely
tiny increments.  We are single dosing.

The temperature is 202 degrees as shown on the PID.  I do have a timer but am unsure when to start timing.  Do I start when the lever is part way up, all the way up or when I see coffee start to come out?  

If I start the timer when I lift the lever to the full on position and turn it off at 25 seconds, I am getting 2.5 ounces of coffee.  

I am not sure if I need to make my grind a little coarser, a little finer or lessen the amount of beans I am grinding.

I am using Lavazza Super Crema and I would like to get a proper shot with that even though I know I need to start looking into getting more freshly roasted coffee beans.

Please keep your instructions on the simple side due to my lack of experience.

One other question please.  Is anyone planning to get the portafilter that CCS carries that is the same one that Dave tested and that comes with the Verona?  CCS only offers it as a double but we are only using the double for brewing and I put the blind basket in the single portafilter and use that for backflushing.  If anyone gets the other double portafilter please post and let us know what you think.

Thanks for all your help!
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 3:23pm

DeanOK Said:

Hey!! Got my 4 hole tip.... maybe I can get my microfoam as good as my espresso... I will sure give it a try.

I got an email from Mary today that mine is in the mail.  I can't help but do better with the four hole tip as I can't do anything with the two hole one.

Tell us how you like yours when you have a chance to try it out please, Dean.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 4:07pm

JaniceAnn Said:

I am enjoying my coffee and so is my husband but I need to mention that I drink coffee with milk and sugar and he drinks coffee with sugar.

The coffees are much better than our drip coffee maker and better than the super automatics too but the straight espresso is rather bitter.  

I am just a beginner so I don't know how to proceed or just not bother since the end product is wonderful.  It is apparent that it is better because I am actually finishing my coffee while it is still hot instead of having it be ice cold and still quite a bit left in the mug as with the coffee from the drip coffee maker.

I am using 16 grams of beans for my coffee and my husband is using 18 grams.  The grinder is a Nuova Simonelli set at 7.5 at the zero mark.  It is a nice used grinder and can be changed at extremely
tiny increments.  We are single dosing.

The temperature is 202 degrees as shown on the PID.  I do have a timer but am unsure when to start timing.  Do I start when the lever is part way up, all the way up or when I see coffee start to come out?  

If I start the timer when I lift the lever to the full on position and turn it off at 25 seconds, I am getting 2.5 ounces of coffee.  

I am not sure if I need to make my grind a little coarser, a little finer or lessen the amount of beans I am grinding.

I am using Lavazza Super Crema and I would like to get a proper shot with that even though I know I need to start looking into getting more freshly roasted coffee beans.

Please keep your instructions on the simple side due to my lack of experience.

One other question please.  Is anyone planning to get the portafilter that CCS carries that is the same one that Dave tested and that comes with the Verona?  CCS only offers it as a double but we are only using the double for brewing and I put the blind basket in the single portafilter and use that for backflushing.  If anyone gets the other double portafilter please post and let us know what you think.

Thanks for all your help!

My lack of experience is showing here.. How old is the Lavazza? Is there a date on the bag?

All I can tell you is that I am currently dosing 18 grams (I am currently in the process of checking the accuracy and repeatability of my Vario W) and I try to get 30-32 grams in 28 seconds from first drip. I am using Redline that was froze 5 or 6 days post roast and I have my frozen coffee in small enough batches that I use it within 3 days of thawing it out.  With this coffee, this seems to be close to the best profile for me, but I always use milk... usually about 4 to 1.  I am currently at 200F on brew temp... but with a different coffee you may well be different on all of these numbers. I was thinking Lavazza was a darker roast than what I am using... not sure.

Your new . Experiment, ask a lot of questions and don't be too hard on yourself. You will get there.
ECM
ECM

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 5:47pm

In terms of PF's I like the one that Cafelat has out.  It's a regular PF and a botomless PF all in one.  The PF handle is angled at 15* like the LM ones.  The PF's come in backlet or rubber handled.  Oh did I mention... they are completely 100% stainless steel inside and out.  This also includes the inner bowl which is usualy brass covered by metal which over time becomes stained with coffee oil.  Not these... they are totally stainless.  I would provide the link but I'm not sure if the Mods would approve.  

I am in no way associated with Cafelat.... I just want to be helpful to our members here on the form.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 6:10pm

ECM Said:

In terms of PF's I like the one that Cafelat has out.  It's a regular PF and a botomless PF all in one.  The PF handle is angled at 15* like the LM ones.  The PF's come in backlet or rubber handled.  Oh did I mention... they are completely 100% stainless steel inside and out.  This also includes the inner bowl which is usualy brass covered by metal which over time becomes stained with coffee oil.  Not these... they are totally stainless.  I would provide the link but I'm not sure if the Mods would approve.  

I am in no way associated with Cafelat.... I just want to be helpful to our members here on the form.

I do not know why you couldn't, everyone else does (including me).
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 6:10pm

ECM Said:

easy to find with google!!  $110... too bad they dont have one for the mini...
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 6:15pm

DeanOK Said:

I do not know why you couldn't, everyone else does (including me).

'

just go to cafelat..
ECM
ECM

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 6:33pm

Yes but if you jsut want a bottomless is $85.00.  I like the 15* angle of the PF.  It helps to prevent dinging up the group head as a traditional PF puts your hand into an un-natural position.  My old group had several little dings from striking it with the PF when trying to insert the PF half asleap.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 116 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.445538043976)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+