Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 118 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 3:37am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

cuznvin Said:

that what makes having a choice so great!! to each his own!! so i guess you dont like stainless boilers either..

Posted September 6, 2013 link

No I don't, for a number of reasons I have covered many times before in this thread and others.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 5:36am

JaniceAnn Said:

I am enjoying my coffee and so is my husband but I need to mention that I drink coffee with milk and sugar and he drinks coffee with sugar.

The coffees are much better than our drip coffee maker and better than the super automatics too but the straight espresso is rather bitter.  

I am just a beginner so I don't know how to proceed or just not bother since the end product is wonderful.  It is apparent that it is better because I am actually finishing my coffee while it is still hot instead of having it be ice cold and still quite a bit left in the mug as with the coffee from the drip coffee maker.

I am using 16 grams of beans for my coffee and my husband is using 18 grams.  The grinder is a Nuova Simonelli set at 7.5 at the zero mark.  It is a nice used grinder and can be changed at extremely
tiny increments.  We are single dosing.

The temperature is 202 degrees as shown on the PID.  I do have a timer but am unsure when to start timing.  Do I start when the lever is part way up, all the way up or when I see coffee start to come out?  

If I start the timer when I lift the lever to the full on position and turn it off at 25 seconds, I am getting 2.5 ounces of coffee.  

I am not sure if I need to make my grind a little coarser, a little finer or lessen the amount of beans I am grinding.

I am using Lavazza Super Crema and I would like to get a proper shot with that even though I know I need to start looking into getting more freshly roasted coffee beans.

Please keep your instructions on the simple side due to my lack of experience.

One other question please.  Is anyone planning to get the portafilter that CCS carries that is the same one that Dave tested and that comes with the Verona?  CCS only offers it as a double but we are only using the double for brewing and I put the blind basket in the single portafilter and use that for backflushing.  If anyone gets the other double portafilter please post and let us know what you think.

Thanks for all your help!

Well one thing Italian roasters know how to do is take low grade beans and blend stale beans to give a somewhat decent taste. The cans of Italian roasts will be best the first day a can is opened then drop off very quick, like 24hrs.

Lower your brew temp to 198f-200f. Higher temps bring out the cocoa and cooler temps bring out the fruit but higher temps also bring out the bitter which stale roast have plenty of.

Grinding a 16g double should be finer then an 18g double to keep the times and flavors similar. Timing a shot is at lever up or first drip is personal thing but overall extraction time and amount delivered does change the flavor so experiment and be consistent, most go time when pump is engaged.  Since the espresso machine is just a hot water applicator most of the focus should be on grind adjustments and dose to dial in the best taste.

Might be time to start an owners thread for this QM instead of keeping this monster thread going.
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 5:54am

JaniceAnn Said:

If I start the timer when I lift the lever to the full on position and turn it off at 25 seconds, I am getting 2.5 ounces of coffee.  

I am not sure if I need to make my grind a little coarser, a little finer or lessen the amount of beans I am grinding.

I am using Lavazza Super Crema and I would like to get a proper shot with that even though I know I need to start looking into getting more freshly roasted coffee beans.

Ditch the Lavazza, it could have been roasted months ago and not fresh, buy fresh roasted beans within a few days from roasting from good roasters, it will make a huge difference.

Start timing when you lift the lever, 25 seconds for 2.5 ounces is to much liquid, tighten the grind and shoot for about 1.5 to 2 oz. You will see better results with fresh roasted beans.
Gkeb

Espresso: Ventrano 2b
Grinder: Mini mazzer
Vac Pot: Hario
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 7:29am

JaniceAnn Said:

I am enjoying my coffee and so is my husband but I need to mention that I drink coffee with milk and sugar and he drinks coffee with sugar.

The coffees are much better than our drip coffee maker and better than the super automatics too but the straight espresso is rather bitter.  

I am just a beginner so I don't know how to proceed or just not bother since the end product is wonderful.  It is apparent that it is better because I am actually finishing my coffee while it is still hot instead of having it be ice cold and still quite a bit left in the mug as with the coffee from the drip coffee maker.

Please keep your instructions on the simple side due to my lack of experience.

There is a very thorough guide to making and diagnosing espresso problems on Home Barista. click here hope that helps.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 1:15pm

ECM Said:

Yeah that is helpful to me.  I'm a bit of an audio nut (I have my own home studio) so sound is kind of a picky thing for me.  I can live woth 60-80db.

Thanks man,

Rob

Posted September 4, 2013 link

ECM... just so you know I opened the case today and re-aligned my pump with the adjustment access hole and checked for water seeps. While I was in there, I strategically placed some foam tape. I think it made a little difference:

Now from right in front of the machine I show 66 db (down from 69 db) and if I place my hand on the top of the V2B and press down a bit, it drops to 65 db, so I guess there is still a little vibration in there I can get rid of. This test is the same as before with blind basket installed and pump running.
ECM
ECM

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 8:12pm

way to go.  My guess is all the metal is just a conductor for vibrations.  I'm wondering if one went ahead and insulated thte side panels if that would make a difference.  Then again.... all the build upof heat wouldn't be goo for the components.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 8:22pm

ECM Said:

way to go.  My guess is all the metal is just a conductor for vibrations.  I'm wondering if one went ahead and insulated thte side panels if that would make a difference.  Then again.... all the build upof heat wouldn't be goo for the components.

Posted September 7, 2013 link

I really do not think it is that noisy... but maybe I am just not as picky as you. You have to understand that the mic on those videos is just a few inches from the cabinet and the audio controls on those phones can have a lot of gain. There is no way I could ever get it where you wouldn't hear it predominately in the videos. I have a TV under the cabinet 4 or 5 feet from the espresso machine and I can still hear the tv just fine standing in front of the espresso machine pulling a shot.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 11:29am

I forgot to mention that my machine did not have any screws in the bottom to secure the center of the side panels as indicated in the Verona disassembly video

Did anyone else have these screws missing?

Does anyone know what size they are? I see threaded holes under there... I assume I can put the screws in.
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 11:35am

Am an audio nut too. From my Radio Shack analog SPL meter, A-weighting, fast response, measured in a quiet room from a distance of six inches from the front of the machine: 62-64db.

SPL meter reading from the height of my ears to the machine (about 24", I'm 5'8"): 54-56db

It is not loud at all in my opinion.
Zevi

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 12:48pm

DeanOK Said:

I really do not think it is that noisy...

Posted September 7, 2013 link

Finally got home and had a chance to open and start setting up that beauty... And what a beautiful thing it is!

A couple of quick questions/observations:
  1. I really think that the sound level is very low, especially if you come from a vib pump; tweaking it to get any lower is mostly academic.
  2. Dean -- since we share the exact setup -- what is your Vario setting? How many grams do you dose (for double)? I've gone through about 1/2Lb of beans (freshly roasted - 1 day), and I still can't nail the shot; Under the same tamping force (as far as I can feel) and 18g, at 1K I get the first drip after about 20sec., and it takes almost a full minute to get 2 Oz (60ml) - obviously too long. At even one step less than 1K - the machine is simply choked. At 1L or 1M I get the 30 sec correctly, but the crema is less than expected (and more bitter than I get at the coffee shop where I buy the beans from). I lowered the brew temp to 202.
  3. How exactly do I switch between 15 to 20 Amp? I understand it's in the PID controller, but which parameter? The manual seems to have some errors/incomplete info regarding the PID settings.
  4. When I start the brew, the brew gauge goes to the green zone (8-9), but quickly gets to 10-10.5 and stays there. Is that normal?

PS: Like Carlo, I ran out of patience after 10 flushes...

Thanks!
Zevi.
showing page 118 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.584217071533)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+