Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 123 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
sharky
sharky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 6:40am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Thanks CarloM!  I found the info for the screen.  So, I finally got the Vetrano out of the box after vacation.  Wow, what a beautiful looking machine!  After all the prep work, flushing & more flushing, I got down to actually pulling a cap!  Even with 3 week old beans (it's all I had) the shot was amazing!  I switched for the 4 hole tip and talk about amazing steam power!  Overall, the Vetrano is everything I was hoping for and more!  Thanks Chris for bringing this machine over from Italy . . . I smile everytime I turn it on . . . and I really dig the built in lights!  Way to go, Quickmill!
 View Profile Link to this post
pShoe

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 5:27pm

Mine should be coming Thursday. I'm pretty sure I got the last one from CCS. It was out of stock when I went to order. I called CCS to see when the next shipment was due it, which is November. I was kinda bummed, but Mary said 1 order did not go threw and I should try reloading the page. I reloaded and was able to complete the order. I was told that a couple will likely be added to refurbished at some point soon. Their legs bent during the shipping.

Anyway, I like the option of the two wands that comes with the UK version. Is their a standard burn-me wand that could be installed or can we buy the one that comes on the UK version somehow?
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 5:44pm

pShoe Said:

Mine should be coming Thursday. I'm pretty sure I got the last one from CCS...

Posted September 24, 2013 link

Congrats and welcome to CG.

Do you mind if I ask why you want a "burn-me" steam wand? I love the fact that I no longer have this type of steam wand.

Speaking of steam wands....whenever all of the V2B owners get settled in, I think I am going to need a steaming lesson. I am making good shots..... and I can make a lot of foam... but not micro foam... it has course bubbles... not what I want. I am using 4 hole tip if anyone wants to offer up some tips.

TIA
pShoe

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 5:53pm

DeanOK Said:

Congrats and welcome to CG.

Do you mind if I ask why you want a "burn-me" steam wand? I love the fact that I no longer have this type of steam wand.

Speaking of steam wands....whenever all of the V2B owners get settled in, I think I am going to need a steaming lesson. I am making good shots..... and I can make a lot of foam... but not micro foam... it has course bubbles... not what I want. I am using 4 hole tip if anyone wants to offer up some tips.

TIA

Thanks. I can't wait! I feel the same way coming from the Silvia, but DaveUK made a good case that the burn-me wand shows a 20% improvement. I'm sure I'll be floored with the steam power with the no burn wand, but I like the option to swap the burn-me one on and see how it is... down the road, that is.

I remember reading that someone here had to cut back some of the teflon on their steam wand and it improved the steaming greatly. It was apparently coming down a little too far and blocking the hole. Have to checked to see if steam is coming from all 4 holes equally?
Metatron

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: BDB900
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 8:22pm

DeanOK Said:

TIA

The general consensus is that a no burn steam wand is a much poorer performer than a burn me wand. It takes less time to learn how to steam with a burn me wand than it does to learn how not to get burned.
DavecUK

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 6:04am

Heres a few of the things they don't tell you about the no burn wands, and this is common to all machines, not just QM. In most/all of them there is a poorly fitting very small O ring top and bottom. Sometimes  these are fitted, sometimes they fell of and sit in the wand tip or tube of the wand, sometimes they are omitted. If you pull the tube out and refit, usually you split/lose the o rings, or were never even aware they were there. Refitting the no burn sleeve then results in the wand not being as "no burn" as it was before. The only way to ensure its relatively no burn is to use a small PTFE wrap around the tube top and bottom when refitting the inner Teflon sleeve..

1. So to summarise, no burn wands do get hot, some faster than others for the reasons above

2. They do restrict the flow of steam, in some cases with a large hole tip and weak steamer, this works, and steam pressure drops more when the insert is removed. Which is why the UK version has 2 tip types 4 and 2 hole, the 4 hole will drop the pressure more (no lower than a Duetto (perhaps a bit better to be honest), than the 2 hole. However, the pressure drop is over time, so that by the time steaming has finished, the pressure is still very good. With the 2 hole pressure doesn't drop, and it's easier for the Novice steamer. With the teflon tube in place, the 2 hole can be slightly slower than ideal.

3. Steam wand holes gradually clog, unless your cleaning them with a tepe interdental brush after each steaming...having no insert gives you a much longer window before deep cleaning the tip is required.

4. You can't "suck and blow" clean the steam wand tip when using the "no burn" teflon tube, this causes the wand to clog much faster. This technique blowing steam thru the wand, closing tap,  then plunging it into cold water, the vacuum created in the tube then draws water into the wand. Opening it again blows the water back out the tip...then repeat. Very useful for keeping the tip clean and unclogged.

5. Usually the first time you remove the tip (for cleaning) of a no burn wand that wasn't  getting hot very quickly, they often start getting hot much faster. This is because when refitting the tip, you loose the seal/oring etc.. as mentioned above.

6. If you do get some suck back in the no burn wand as in 4 above, this is going to be  due to a poor fitting internal seal and will occur between the teflon tube and the steel wall of the wand. This isn't easily expelled and has the potential to become "not nice".

These are the reasons I don't like them....they were marketed and designed to solve a problem that doesn't really exist in a very poor way. I really don't see why a properly designed grip piece on a wand isn't enough. If they have to do it, then perhaps do it right with a twin wall (vacuum sealed) metal tube.. BUT if you like them, use them.
Mort108
Mort108

Espresso: Vetrano 2B, ROK
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Roaster: Local
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 7:03am

pShoe...interesting, as I too picked one up yesterday from CCS.....from Mackenzie.
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 7:32am

So Dave, would you recommend "converting" our wand by using pliers to pull the teflon tubing out? Or would you recommend buying a whole new burn-me steam wand and refitting it? I don't know what kind of collateral damage simply pulling out the teflon tubing may do further up the wand where we can't see.

I'm looking at the Chris Coffee website and can't find a burn-me arm option for the Quick Mill. Do you know a US reseller or distributor who would sell a burn-me arm for the QM?

Thanks!
bmorton

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 7:49am

Well, there's this, if you're also interested in a joystick:  click here, although you would need to contact Chris's to make sure this fits the 2B.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 8:01am

I saw that and I am not a real big joystick fan, I kind of like the knob. Plus it's unclear whether the arm is a burn-me or burn-free arm. I'll wait and see what Dave's response is on whether it really is simple enough as pulling the tubing out without causing damage further up the arm. I'd read the pulling of the tube was reversible by someone here on CG (said they just pushed it back in) but I'm sure whatever seals were initially there were broken by the process of removal and refitting.
showing page 123 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.411945819855)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+