Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 124 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
bmorton

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 9:34am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Carlo,
Yeah, from Dave's last post it does sound like pulling the tubing from the steam wand might not be reversible.  I like the no-burn, but I suppose I would give it up if the result was significantly faster steaming.  Right now I just have to work on quality of steam, which I don't think speed would improve.  I'm getting similar results to what I get with my Livia:  either too much foam to incorporate with the milk, or not enough.  Can't seem to find the sweet spot, or I can't get a good enough swirl to mix in the foam.  I think I need to take classes, which are offered by both intelligentsia and counter culture here in NYC, and by others as well I think.  Once my technique improves I'll start to think about the steam arm.  I'll be interested in what you decide to do.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 2:06pm

CarloM Said:

I'm looking at the Chris Coffee website and can't find a burn-me arm option for the Quick Mill. Do you know a US reseller or distributor who would sell a burn-me arm for the QM?

Thanks!

Posted September 25, 2013 link

I believe the burn me wand Chris Coffee offers on the Anita and come standard on the Vivaldi's may work, except you might have to use your original chrome nut vs the brass colored nut.
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 5:39pm

CarloM Said:

I saw that and I am not a real big joystick fan, I kind of like the knob. Plus it's unclear whether the arm is a burn-me or burn-free arm. I'll wait and see what Dave's response is on whether it really is simple enough as pulling the tubing out without causing damage further up the arm. I'd read the pulling of the tube was reversible by someone here on CG (said they just pushed it back in) but I'm sure whatever seals were initially there were broken by the process of removal and refitting.

Posted September 25, 2013 link

For removal, you don't have to remove the wand, you can simply remove the tip and pull the tubing out with pliers (careful not to damage it, use smooth faced pliers, or a bit of tape to cover the ribbed teeth on the pliers). The only thing it that the little red sealing ring at the top may lodge in the tube (broken or intact). The bottom o'ring may come out on the tube, or stay in the wand tip. What you don't want are these things lodging in the wand tip and blocking one of the holes (although it probably wont be a major problem). The red arrows show where you will find them, if they have been fitted (sometimes the manufacturers forget)! Personally I think removing the wand is the best way. You can then remove the top and bottom tip/ball and then get the tube out properly and perhaps salvage the O rings (although teflon tape seals better).

If you want to refit, you can't just push it up, as it won't be sealed. You have to remove the wand (see photo), then push it back up the tube and wrap a little teflon around the top/bottom of the tube area shown in green (not too much), the teflon will allow you to create a seal top and bottom. If it overlaps the inner tube, simply poke the hole open. Then fit the ball first, ensuring the tube fully seats (if it doesn't it will protrude too far into the tip....lastly fit the tip. When refitting the steam wand you will need down corning 111 on the little sprung brass cup that fits against the ball and ensure you don't damage the seal within the nut that secured the wand to the machine.

It's not hard, but you need to be careful.

DavecUK: noburn.JPG
(Click for larger image)
DavecUK

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 5:46pm

Here is the ball with the seal shown on the nut and the sprung cup which needs greasing. It is actually a maintenance item, to grease the ball and cup every so often (depending on use). If this drys out, id damages the seal inside the nut, then they get a bit leaky or drip.

Note: in the bottom of the nut (inside)is also a little washer as well (working from memory)...which is why you grease the entire ball.

DavecUK: wand.JPG
(Click for larger image)
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 9:06am

Dave thanks so much! I hope either this thread never dies or it's archived somehow, you are a treasure trove of information! Thanks so much for the pics. I may try this soon. I am also contemplating buying a four-hole tip from Seattle Coffee Gear which supposedly is officially a Quick Mill (for the Andreja Premium but it looks to be the same fit). According to their grainy picture is closer (or identical?) in overall size to the 2-hole tip that came with our V2B (just with 4 smaller 0.9mm holes).

Those of us who got the 2-hole tip, and then the 4-hole tip shipped separately by CCS, noticed the 4-hole tip was much smaller/shorter than the 2-hole tip. It's definitely a CCS design as opposed to the official QM. Not sure if the official 4-hole QM tip will make much of a difference but I thought I'd give it a try. I had to order some thing from SCG anyway that CCS doesn't carry so this was just a $15 add on. If it doesn't work or fit, I'll request a return authorization.

If that doesn't work, I'll pull out the teflon tubing carefully per your instructions, trying not to damage the or jam the seals in the tubing.
pShoe

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 3:38pm

My Vetrano came in! It is a very nice looking machine. I like the LED lights. Anyway, I think my brew pressure might be messed up. Would you guys mind viewing the below video and telling me what you think? Thanks.

It runs at 9 bars just running water threw, 10 bars when using a blank basket, but what I'm more concerned about is it will reach 12 bars just sitting still. It does not seem normal. The last stage of the video where it is just on and increasing in pressure is speed up 2x just to save time.

Here is the video(0:40).
DavecUK

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 5:43pm

pShoe Said:

My Vetrano came in! It is a very nice looking machine. I like the LED lights. Anyway, I think my brew pressure might be messed up. Would you guys mind viewing the below video and telling me what you think? Thanks.

It runs at 9 bars just running water threw, 10 bars when using a blank basket, but what I'm more concerned about is it will reach 12 bars just sitting still. It does not seem normal. The last stage of the video where it is just on and increasing in pressure is speed up 2x just to save time.

Here is the video(0:40).

Posted September 26, 2013 link

Yeah, it's perfect 9 bar on the nose...the rest your seeing is the effect of water expansion upon heating.
pShoe

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 6:02pm

DavecUK Said:

Yeah, it's perfect 9 bar on the nose...the rest your seeing is the effect of water expansion upon heating.

Posted September 26, 2013 link

Thanks. That puts my mind at ease. It's a really amazing machine.
pShoe

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 7:50pm

Here is a quick sound comparison between the 2B and a vibe pump.
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 9:24am

a follow up on pump pressure.... Mine does the following:

-Blind filter - 10psi
-Just water running through portafilter- 9.0psi
-Portafilter loaded with coffe - 9.5 and extracting, seems to be extracting properly

am i grinding too fine? or better yet, is there a way to check the pump pressure without expensive tools?

thanks
showing page 124 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.427495002747)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+