Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrading from Francis X5
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rytrom

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 8:57am
Subject: Upgrading from Francis X5

Have been using X5 for about 6 years but finally it died. Went first to Illy checking the options to upgrade and their deal of subscribing for 48 cans of coffee and getting Pasquini Livietta for about $600 was tempting.

Then started educating myself and seeing at this site shouting at every page "grinder is more important than anything!" made me thinking to reconsider the whole approach.

I'm looking for a semi-automatic machine for moderate usage (5 shots/day on average). If I go the grinder route then the ground coffee is not part of the shopping list anymore? With a budget of $1000 all together it sounds like I still can go with the Pasquini and a solid grinder. Are the better options/combinations? Does it make sense to get tempted by the Illy deal at all?

thank you for your input.
-Roman
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 1:31pm
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Francis X5

With apologies to the Godfather of espresso, don't do canned coffee for the sake of getting a machine that is long in the tooth.
Spend $300-400 on the grinder, and maybe look for a pre-owned HX (heat exchanger) machine, so you can steam and pull shots simultaneously.
You may go $100-200 over your budget.
You can get a refurb Baratza preciso grinder in the $259-$269 area I believe, so $700 for the machine.
You could score an NS Oscar for that. It isn't the most beautiful, but the internals are first rate.

I'm guessing a lever machine is not your want.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Fred1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 2:47pm

Check with Seattle Coffee
Gear.  You should be able to get a CC1 and a good grinder for about $1k.

Fred
rytrom

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 10:36pm

Seattle Coffee Gear is amazing! Thanks for the advice.

Checked CC1; good price/quality but don't like the look.

Silvia is probably at a disadvantage at every category to CC1 (smaller boiler, no PID) except for the price but CC1 now is under a 10% discount.

Oscar is great but way too much for my budget. Will look for a refurb...

Except for waiting extra time with a single boiler consistency is the only potential disadvantage?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.34058713913)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+