Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
No Comment
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > No Comment  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bobpaule
bobpaule
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Venus, Enrico...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky...
Drip: I'd rather seize!
Roaster: Galloping G/Stir Crazy, FR8...
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 3:24pm
Subject: No Comment

See for yourselves:

Click Here (www.ebay.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 4:54pm
Subject: Re: No Comment

"1980's vintage"; makes me feel old.

And the machine, LOL.  The person has to be out of their mind listing it the way they did.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 5:32pm

Good luck to them, a sucker is born everyday. I would have said that to anyone that bought 60s muscle cars for big bucks 20 years ago until I kept seeing them make money doing it. My brother owned a few cars in the 70s if I had garaged for 40 years might have made a some decent profit, I probably would have starved to death in the early 90s paying for the garage but still. Then again back in the 90s I would have crapped my pants if a future self came back and said " you will spend $2600 on a home espresso machine in 20113".  My dream car is an AC Cobra, I will never spend the money needed to acquire this hand built machine and would rather build one to my specs instead, yet some would rather spend over a million for an original built one.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 8:08am

germantownrob Said:

Good luck to them, a sucker is born everyday. I would have said that to anyone that bought 60s muscle cars for big bucks 20 years ago until I kept seeing them make money doing it. My brother owned a few cars in the 70s if I had garaged for 40 years might have made a some decent profit, I probably would have starved to death in the early 90s paying for the garage but still. Then again back in the 90s I would have crapped my pants if a future self came back and said " you will spend $2600 on a home espresso machine in 20113".  My dream car is an AC Cobra, I will never spend the money needed to acquire this hand built machine and would rather build one to my specs instead, yet some would rather spend over a million for an original built one.

Posted March 30, 2013 link

To think that when I was a teen (over 30 yrs ago) I beat the sh*t out of my 1970 'cuda w/340 cu in short block & 4 speed pistol grip factory installed shifter.  2 weeks after I sold it the guy who bought it blew the engine.  

If I babied it and kept it the thing would be worth $$$ today.  Oh the indiscretions of youth.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:56pm

Continuing the off topic/on topic; I'm so ashamed I let go of my new bought 1978 Fiat x1/9 after owning it into the 90's. Such are the travails of youth and finances. Now that was a piece of Italian metal I could have been proud to show and share with the folk around here going on about histories of quality manufacturing from Italy.  Amazing too what you could get out of that 62.5 horses.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 4:00pm

I don't often run into a machine that's older than I. It's a nice piece of vintage gear, but you'd think if this person knew what it was worth, the word "espresso" might have been in the listing title! And that steam wand makes me a little ill to look at it. If it's certified refurbished, you'd at least think he could have used some Rinza on the wand and for five grand, maybe taken a better picture. I'll spend that money on a brand new Appia, thank you very much. Oh wait, I don't have that kind of money. Nevermind.

EDIT: I did some more looking and this auction is from Dominic Seminara, a weird old guy who posted a much-viewed YouTube video of a breathtakingly crappy shot, entitled "The Best Espresso In the World"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRmk7vh9NvI

I am NOT making this up.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 4:32pm

Markarian Said:

I don't often run into a machine that's older than I. It's a nice piece of vintage gear, but you'd think if this person knew what it was worth, the word "espresso" might have been in the listing title! And that steam wand makes me a little ill to look at it. If it's certified refurbished, you'd at least think he could have used some Rinza on the wand and for five grand, maybe taken a better picture. I'll spend that money on a brand new Appia, thank you very much. Oh wait, I don't have that kind of money. Nevermind.

EDIT: I did some more looking and this auction is from Dominic Seminara, a weird old guy who posted a much-viewed YouTube video of a breathtakingly crappy shot, entitled "The Best Espresso In the World"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRmk7vh9NvI

I am NOT making this up.

Posted March 31, 2013 link

I watched the video ... and the tamper was way too small for the portafilter.  

Len

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > No Comment  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.413815975189)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+