Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
For ESE pods, how much of a difference does the machine make?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > For ESE pods,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
RNAV

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 5:21am
Subject: For ESE pods, how much of a difference does the machine make?

Stemming from my search for a deployment espresso machine thread, I've ultimately decided to go with ESE pods (since iperespresso capsules are freaking expensive).  Here's where I need your help.

I purchased a 72-count ESE pod sampler to figure out what I like.  Currently I'm using my Breville Ikon BES400XL w/ ESE pod filter at work, and my Expobar Office Lever with a ESE pod filter at home.  Needless to say, the Expobar produces shots with noticeably more crema and flavor.  Taking the Expobar is not an option.  

Would it benefit me (i.e. would I get better quality in the cup than my Breville) if I bought an ESE-specific machine?  I'm thinking of something like the FrancisFrancis! X1, X5, or X6.  I'm just curious if I can improve on the Breville specifically talking about ESE pods.  Anyone have any experience in this regard?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 10:11am
Subject: Re: For ESE pods, how much of a difference does the machine make?

I have not tested it but you can often find pod Oscars used.  I would think they would be better than a smaller boiler machine.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 10:59am

Coffeenoobie Said:

I have not tested it but you can often find pod Oscars used.  I would think they would be better than a smaller boiler machine.

Posted April 2, 2013 link

This is a good idea!  

Seattle Coffee Gear did a taste test on machines using ESE pods.  You may want to check that out.  click here

I don't think you can improve the Breville's performance.  I've read that most Brevilles don't reach a high enough brewing temperature.
RNAV

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 2:00pm

Thank you both for the input.  I think I'll keep an eye out for a pod-specific machine.  Fingers crossed!
pizzaman383

Espresso: Vibiemme DDv2, KAProLinePID
Grinder: Fiorenzato Doge 83,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 4:54pm

RNAV Said:

Would it benefit me (i.e. would I get better quality in the cup than my Breville) if I bought an ESE-specific machine?  I'm thinking of something like the FrancisFrancis! X1, X5, or X6.  I'm just curious if I can improve on the Breville specifically talking about ESE pods.  Anyone have any experience in this regard?

Posted April 2, 2013 link

I used ESE pods for 7+ years.  I, too, got a pod sampler to try out the ones I liked.  I recommend that you get a machine that does NOT have preinfusion (or at least one that can turn off preinfusion).  I have tried using pods with my E61 machine and the preinfusion causes a 10-second pulse of water through the pod.  The taste is substantially worse than than my Gaggia or S$ Barista machines.

Another thing worth considering is that because the dose is set (7g per pod) and the grind and tamp are set by the manufacturer you won't be able to do much adjusting.  I haven't tried it but I think that you can vary the pressure to influence the flow rate.  I found that 2/3 of the pods I tried were not usable because I could not slow down the flow enough to get a 25-30 second shot.  If you get a machine with an easily adjustable OPV you can experiment with this.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 10:46am

http://www.espressoparts.com/S_377?&search_id=2045121
this will convert any used oscar you find into a pod one.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > For ESE pods,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.380028009415)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+