Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 249 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Jon12345

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 2:28pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

I am thinking of buying one of these, although it will be the Sage labelled one because I am from the UK. Apparently its an updated model.

Can you make a cappuccino with these as good as one you get from a very good Baristas?
 View Profile Link to this post
lowellw2

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 2:59pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

John12345 - IMHO, yes, you can make a very good cappuccino. I do not believe you will find the machine to be a weak link in the espresso chain.  I find myself to usually assume that position.
bkpr
bkpr

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 9:50pm
Subject: Re: Short shots all of a sudden

PrescottCR Said:

There have been issues with the programmed button times. I'm not sure if there is a real fix for you but hopefully someone will chime in.

While some use the programmed buttons I think you will find that most on this thread use the manual button.

Posted November 30, 2013 link

Thanks for the reply. I've just reset my timer to 32 secs for a double and all seems fine again (I think 32 seconds is actually a bit long). I generally don't use the manual button 'cos I like to steam my milk while the shot's pouring :)
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 8:43am
Subject: Re: Oracle

PrescottCR Said:

For anyone interested in the Oracle and in the US, it's listed on the Breville site for $2k. No 920 yet.

The Oracle page has a spot to sign up for notification when it's available.

http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-oracle.html

There's also a couple videos of it in action. Hard to beat for function/price ratio.

Posted November 27, 2013 link

Notice the "descale access" port on the lower right under the steam wand!
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 9:47am

Yes, descale ports just like the 920. They come with a test strip for water hardness and then you tell the machine the results. From that I guess it calculates when to give you a descale warning.

One other thing I noticed on the Oracle, a 2 year warranty!?! Hope that's not a typo. That would make adapting the latest from Breville an easier pill to swallow.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DarrenHeaphy

Espresso: Gaggia Baby Twin
Grinder: Krups GVX231
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 10:35am

I came here investigating whether I should get the bes870xl or upgrade to the 900. Then I see the Oracle! It looks amazing! Maybe this is scope creep though ... any suggestions or guesses on when this would come to Europe?
DarrenHeaphy

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 3:16pm

Breville's Aus site is now providing indicative pricing, gives one an idea of how much it will cost in US and EU
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 4:53pm

The Oracle is a pretty fancy machine that grinds, tamps, and textures milk for you. It seems that its primary purpose is to make fairly high quality cappuccino available to people in office and small bistro environments where users are less skilled than the typical espresso buff who haunts these forums. If you're already setup with a nice grinder and reasonably skilled in texturing milk, it probably has little appeal. I think it's a smarter approach than the super-autos that make pretty severe compromises with respect to grinding and pressure because they over-use plastic parts in the brew path, but it's probably not going to make a better cup than you can pull yourself for less money.

I'm not real thrilled by the idea of keeping beans too close to hot boilers, as it makes then go stale faster. Personally, I'd like to see more advanced electronics in these machines for pressure profiling and that sort of thing. Maybe a machine that matches flow rate to grind and/or allows for user programming of the pressure curve across all 30-35 seconds of the shot.

But Breville has surprised us in the past, so I'm going to be interested in the reviews as the Oracle reaches out to a real user base.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
DarrenHeaphy

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 2:26am

Good points re: the beans. I was thinking that, if I were to get the Breville Barista Express or jump up to the Oracle that the beans would be kept separate. How are you finding the BDB?

Here's the link to the Aus Oralce: http://www.breville.com.au/the-oracle.html
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 7:35am

in addition to bubbadude's post regarding the beans

notice why baratza uses creamic aside from it last longer than metal burrs? its because it that it keeps the grind cool. even at those low temp you are still very particular with the temp.

now if you mount the bean chamber near a boiler then think why you place the cups on top of the cup holder, it heats them using the boiler's heat so that heat also heats the beans inside the hopper

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
showing page 249 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.39910697937)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+