Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
OPV adjustment on KitchenAid ProLine
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > OPV adjustment...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
artnz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 8:05pm
Subject: OPV adjustment on KitchenAid ProLine

Just bought a secondhand kpes100, after reading the somewhat mixed reviews on this forum.
The machine seems to be in very good nick, but I'm not getting a decent shot. First 8 seconds is OK, then it starts splurting out, calming down at about 20 seconds, but leading to quick a bit of volume. Taste is OK, but certainly not great and no proper crema.
I ran the machine side-by-side with another one at a friend who has the same machine, to rule out coffee/tamping/handle variances etc and we've concluded that the problem is my machine.
The only thing I've noticed is that the temperature dial is quite a bit beyond it's maximum, but the temp of the water at the brewhead seems OK (96 celcius, 205 fahrenheit) so that could be misleading and just not calibrated properly.
I'm thinking that the pressure could be too high. Would that be a valid deduction?
I've opened up the machine in search for an Over Pressure Valve (OPV), but not quite sure where it is. In picture attached I've marked what I THINK might be it, but before twisting things I would appreciate a confirmation.
What do I look for? In order from top, I'm seeing a copper pipe, a brass bit, a 'shiny' bit and a
'speckled' bit. The 'shiny' bit seems to be quite tight onto the 'speckled' bit. Should I force and persist? Can I expect to find a hex adjustment screw inside? Appreciate any help.

artnz: kitchenaid_kpes100_internal.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
gjwell

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 11:56pm
Subject: Re: OPV adjustment on KitchenAid ProLine

Hi, That is indeed the overpressure valve. I found it after completely stripping my machine down. What is really annoying is you can access and adjust the pressure without opening the machine. if you take out the water tank and look up where the feed pipes come down there is a hole where the overpressure exits back into the water tank. You can insert an allen key and adjust the pressure there. I think they come factry set around 11-12 bar. I now have mine set to 9 and I'm getting much better shots. :) I hope this helps.
Diveval

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali D1, Cimbali S1,...
Grinder: cimbali Junior, gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Old German GMS
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 7:32pm

How do you adjust the opv from the hole where the water pipes exit? Which allen key did you use and in which direction did ou turned it?  I have tried but cannot figure it out.

gjwell Said:

Hi, That is indeed the overpressure valve. I found it after completely stripping my machine down. What is really annoying is you can access and adjust the pressure without opening the machine. if you take out the water tank and look up where the feed pipes come down there is a hole where the overpressure exits back into the water tank. You can insert an allen key and adjust the pressure there. I think they come factry set around 11-12 bar. I now have mine set to 9 and I'm getting much better shots. :) I hope this helps.

Posted May 14, 2013 link

D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 8:24pm

The KAPL is made by Gaggia as you probably know.  I would bet the OPV to be a lot like the Classic, not identical, but similar enough.  You might get help from this thread.

Click Here (coffeeforums.co.uk)(over-Pressure-Valve)-Gaggia-Classic

You might be able to adjust through the top opening, or you could take off the top as the thread.  IIRC, mine was difficult to move the at first, I assumed a bit of threadlock was used.  It has been awhile.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 10:17am

Fred, Valeria's primary concern is whether that OPV on the Proline can be adjusted from outside the machine.  I have never actually seen a KAProline myself, but from the parts diagram I can't understand how it could be adjusted without taking the top off it just like you do with a Classic.  I hope someone who actually has one can elaborate on whether or not this can be done.

Thanks
Susan
D4F

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 11:27am

Susan, and Diveval

Sorry that I was not clear.  I was stating how I could see to adjust it. I also have not seen a kpes100, but looked at the parts diagram last night. I took Diveval's statement to mean by going through 35.

http://www.partsguru.com/user/kitchenaid-espresso-artisan.pdf

Diveval Said:

How do you adjust the opv from the hole whrw the water pipes exit? Which allen key did you use and in whic direction did ou turned it?  I have tried but cannot figure it out.

Posted September 13, 2013 link

If the original idea is correct that it can be adjusted from below,

gjwell Said:

Posted May 14, 2013 link

then my guess from the parts diagram is that the valve, part 33 sits in 34 and I see what may be an opening in 34,  Perhaps there is an adjusting allen head fitting there.  That would make some sense based on what 34 looks like.  I cannot see another reason for what seems to be a hole in the bottom of 34.  35 seems to be the output of the valve. Gjwell mentioned a "hole where the pipes exit," and that fits, hole, not through a pipe.  I would get out my set of allen keys including metric and see if any fit. I cannot find a picture of that valve, but that seems to be the only other access.  I would still guess turn CCW.  

Fred

D4F also at
SJM

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 12:07pm

After a bit more reading around and also seeing the picture that Valeria upload at the Gaggia site, showing an allen wrench on that very part, it looks as if it IS do-able.  Very cool.

Which direction?  For my money, the only real way to know is to put a gauge on the machine, check the current pressure, give the wrench a 180 degree turn, check the pressure again.  After that you know which way to go to get the pressure to 9-10 bar.  

Susan
Diveval

Espresso: Cimbali D1, Cimbali S1,...
Grinder: cimbali Junior, gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Old German GMS
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 12:42pm

Hi, I was able to adjust the OPV from the back, inserted the allen hex key and turned 3/4 counter clock wise and now 9.5 bars!

Diveval: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SJM

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 1:19pm

Excellent !!!!
D4F

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 1:32pm

So is that adjusting 33 through part 34 as above, for the next person?

D4F also at
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > OPV adjustment...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.518894910812)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+