Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrade from Mypressi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
BerkeleyLatte

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 2:20pm
Subject: Upgrade from Mypressi

Hi,

I'm a year long lurker who'd like to thank everyone here for being so helpful. This site is fantastic!

Here's my background. About a year ago after lots of googling and consequently reading plenty of coffeegeek, I decided not to buy a Breville BES860XL, and instead went with a Baratza Vario to go with a MyPressi Twist to make a one latte a day. My wife was at first very skeptical before being convinced that the coffee made at Starbucks and Peets wasn't nearly as good as what could be done at home. We were very happy with this setup until about a month ago when the plastic mount that held the showerhead cracked. So I emailed MyPressi and they sent me a replacement, even though it was just outside of warranty. I thought that was very cool of them. However, after another week of use, this morning when I squeezed the trigger, all the gas came out the handle.

Now I'm worried about the long term durability of the Twist and I'm considering upgrading to a full fledged machine. I really liked the Twist because of its small size and the ability to pull a shot without having to spend a long time warming up.  Is there a machine out there that will make good coffee, not take up too much space, and not take a long time to prepare an espresso? Or should I stick with the Twist and deal with the maintenance issues? We usually just share the one latte in the morninig. More rarely one or two in the evening if there are guests. I'm willing to spend up to $1000 for a machine if would represent a significant upgrade.  Currently the milk is just microwaved, but I'd look forward to having steam capability.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 2:35pm
Subject: Re: Upgrade from Mypressi

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

That is what I would do with my 1k.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 9:54pm

How about a Europiccola?  It's the logical next step from a Twist.  Small, fast, quiet, durable, and it makes fantastic espresso.

more info via google

There also a robust used market for these guys and their larger brothers the La Pavoni Professionals...and a lot of online community interested in their use.
Gig103

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 1:23pm

]

Coffeenoobie Said:

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

That is what I would do with my 1k.

Posted March 25, 2013 link

I'm not the OP, but how does that differ from an Expobar Office Lever for ~$1299 (and on sale sometimes for less)? I see the second gauge, but construction and parts quality wise?
BerkeleyLatte

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 8:49pm

Thanks for the responses. The Cuadra looks nice and seems safer since it'll be more similar to cafe espresso I think. I've never had espresso from a lever machine so I'm not sure about the Europiccola. Thing is though, not sure about such a large machine on the kitchen counter.

What do you think about this: http://zpmespresso.myshopify.com/

It's small and heats up quickly, fulfilling two of my criteria. It won't come out until September at the earliest and quality and reliability are completely up in the air.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 8:59pm

I would rather have the machine that is out today than wait for that machine to come out.  So far it is vaporware.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 3:18am

Dear BerkelyLatte,

I am a Mypressi user with the same experiences as you.  It is likely that you are continuing to use the Twist and I bet that the gas-out-the-handle issue has gone away, or at least only happens occasionally.

Steven at Mypressi has been good in replacing my cracked showerheads, too.  I have gone through four of them and have mostly bought them out of appreciation for the company, even though this appears to be a weakness in the fabrication.

There are several factors that may be contributing to the sudden appearance of the gas-through-the-handle thing.  Aging of the unit is one concern, but, more likely, this is occurring when the Twist 'chokes' on a dose that is ground too fine.  Is this your experience?  This happened to me for the first time when I changed gas cartridge styles, and so I am looking at that, too.  In 1-1/2 years of using Mypressi, it has happened about four times, mostly recently.

I agree that the Twist gets to be old in our search for the best espresso.  The water reservoir temperature is impossible to get above 190 degrees from a kettle and there are some espresso blends that are not going to infuse well at this temp.  I bought a Krups 'steam toy' for $5 at a garage sale to steam milk for my wife and inserting the steam wand into the Twist reservoir water with a digital thermometer can bring the temp up to any level desired, if you don't mind holding the Twist in one hand, the steam control in the other and the thermometer in the third.

Your search for a replacement machine will be watched by me with interest, since I am almost there myself.  Please keep in mind that any larger unit will have its own quirks and shortcomings - no machine is perfect - and the Mypressi will be nice to have around as a backup.

Thank for your post.

Buckley
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 2:36pm

BerkeleyLatte Said:

Thing is though, not sure about such a large machine on the kitchen counter.

Posted April 4, 2013 link

The smallest quality HX is probably the Bezzera BZ07 for $1,199.  At 9.5" wide, it's quite a bit slimmer than most others in the price range (NS Oscar, Breville DB). The next closest in size is the Expobar Office Lever at 1" wider and deeper, and $100 more.

Living the caffeinated life.
jimboc

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: mypressi twist
Grinder: Baratza Precico
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 5:02am

Buckley Said:

Dear BerkelyLatte,
The water reservoir temperature is impossible to get above 190 degrees from a kettle

Posted April 5, 2013 link

Do you live at altitude?  I'm at sea level and have zero problem starting the water at 205 degrees (from a kettle), where it would get down to about 195 after 45 seconds or so in an ambient temperature of 77 deg.
Buckley

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 6:59am

jimboc Said:

Do you live at altitude?  I'm at sea level and have zero problem starting the water at 205 degrees (from a kettle), where it would get down to about 195 after 45 seconds or so in an ambient temperature of 77 deg.

Posted April 7, 2013 link

Probably several factors.  One, the gooseneck of the Hario kettle may cool the water down.  I have not tried a short-spouted kettle.  Two, how do you preheat your reservoir?  I fill mine, inverted, with water from the same kettle, twice with the showerhead resting on top of the hot water.  Three, measuring the system likely perturbs it: the stem of the digital thermometer is small (2 mm) at the tip, but may cool the water.

How do you preheat and what do you preheat?  In all honesty, I have just gotten finished with a trial to maximize the water temperature in the reservoir without being distracted by making a shot and I can get the water in the reservoir as high as 202 degrees but it ramps down much more rapidly than in your experience.  In the 45 seconds you mentioned the water loses twenty degrees, to 182, about twice as fast as in your experience.  We both live in normal-temperature homes.

Buckley
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.431947946548)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+