Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Best Machine for semi-professional daily operation under $600?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best Machine for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
adamstivala
adamstivala
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 6:27pm
Subject: Best Machine for semi-professional daily operation under $600?

Hello,

I am looking to buy an espresso machine for daily use. Here are my specifications:

Capacity: 15-25 single shots per 30 min period
Functions: steamer wand, standard outlet, water resevoir, and would love an integrated bean grinder (but can live without it i suppose)
Price range: $400 to 600 (can be new or refurbished)
Uses: I will use it on a daily basis at my school to make espresso, lattes, and cuban coffee for up to 20/ppl in a 30 min period
Experience: I have over 15 years in the restaurant industry and am not a pro-barista but know my way around professional machines

Other than that, I value a quality brand without too many previous problems because I live outside the US, and to send for repair or return the machine would take months.

Thank you for your input!
 View Profile Link to this post
rotwang
rotwang

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Pharos, KyM,  Sözen, PeDe
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: No..Cezve
Roaster: nope
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 6:35pm
Subject: Re: Best Machine for semi-professional daily operation under $600?

Sorry, but I don't think there is one.  Unless you find some great deal on a used machine, anything in that budget is going to really struggle to put out drinks that quickly.
adamstivala
adamstivala

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 7:38pm

Thanks for the reply.
What would be good options in either direction, and the better brands?
Higher cost or lower capacity?

I was looking at the Breville BES860XL but read mixed reviews.
I have a $35 Imusa that can bang out 2-3 shots in about 3 min but it's single use and opening the reservoir valve when it's hot gets dicey!
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 8:37pm

Used HX machine, like an NS Oscar might be able to handle the volume, but you need to add several hundred onto your price for a grinder that can handle the load.

If you spent over a decade in the food service industry, you know that skimping on your equipment will only lead to headaches.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 8:51pm

Hi like the others said, you are limited to whatever you can find used, commercial preferred. To that you will need a grinder that is commercial also, unless you stumble into someone GIVING their gear away, I would expect a minimum of $2k on the used market.
A Breville anything will not do the job, you are solidly I'm n commercial grade equipment here.

Any specific brand is a moot point as you are limited to what is around you. To that you will need to repair whatever you find in this price range so add in money for that too,
Good luck!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
adamstivala
adamstivala

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 11:19pm

Great, thank you for the advice :)

Let me refine my original parameters then:

Screw the grinder and steamer (i have a separate one and can use the electric $35 Imusa steamer separately )

Is there a machine which can functionally make 10 single shots in 30 min in around that price range? I don't need fancy. Is the pull an option? Thanks!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 1:38am

You are now in the range of doo-able.
You are still looking at used but a machine such as the Oscar George mentioned, sells used in the $500 to $600 range and it can easily pull a double shot every couple of minutes they steam well, have an auto fill boiler and are a pour over (built in water tank)
And run on a standard home outlet. As a bonus, they are certified for light commercial service.

To get anything resembling good espresso from it though, you need a quality grinder, a used Super jolly sells for about $350and to that you will need to change the burrs at about $50.

With a setup like this, i have taken care of parties of up to 40 or so people. It is a lot of work though and you are moving all the time

What grinder do you have? You will not be able to use a $75 home grinder, they cant grind for espresso. New, a motor powered grinder for espresso starts at about $300 and those grinders won't last very long under that kind of use, you need a SJ class grinder at a minimum.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
adamstivala
adamstivala

Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 10:04am

hahaha i have the $75 home grinder :)

This operation doesn't need to be too high end, and I will probably use the pre-ground Bustelo or Llave for Cuban coffees, which are 90% sugar anyway.
The shots and lattes I will just put the grinder on the finest grind and use that.
Would it be appropriate to use that grind with the Oscar?  I'm sure quality would suffer a bit but we are talking super stressed out, caffeine addicted medical students with little knowledge of coffee besides something dumbed down with copious amounts of sugar and milk.

Thank you all for your feedback super helpful!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 10:37am

All the flavor is in the grinder.  You need a grinder or do pods.  Oscar makes a pod kit for the machine or sometimes you find them used already set up for pods.  I would not pay for a pod or capsule drink but other people do.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Sat Apr 6, 2013, 10:42am

adamstivala Said:

hahaha i have the $75 home grinder :)

This operation doesn't need to be too high end, and I will probably use the pre-ground Bustelo or Llave for Cuban coffees, which are 90% sugar anyway.
The shots and lattes I will just put the grinder on the finest grind and use that.
Would it be appropriate to use that grind with the Oscar?  I'm sure quality would suffer a bit but we are talking super stressed out, caffeine addicted medical students with little knowledge of coffee besides something dumbed down with copious amounts of sugar and milk.

Thank you all for your feedback super helpful!

Posted April 6, 2013 link

In that case, might a recommend a superauto? Definition=push 1 button to turn machine on, push 1 button to brew.  Everything else taken care of. Seems to fit your needs well.  I have some experience with Gaggia superautos and they're generally decent, all things considered. I hear some positive reviews of the Quick Mills but no direct experience with them.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best Machine for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.424706935883)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+