Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Any Duetto owners out there that can help me?....
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jjsaustin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 5:30pm
Subject: Any Duetto owners out there that can help me?....

My steam stopped working today on my Duetto 2. My unit is plumbed in and has the 15A mode.

Today's saga:
I let my machine heat up about 30 min and the GREEN light was on. I pulled a couple shots of espresso and then went to steam some milk. I noticed that the steam gauge was on the lower end of the green steam zone. As I tried to steam the milk, some steam came out, but  the pressure kept dropping all the way down. The RED light was on, but apparently not heating the boiler. I did notice that the pump came on twice, as if to fill the steam boiler. I turned it off as I had to leave the house.

When I came back a few hours later I turned the machine back on. This time I watched the heat up process. The brew boiler came up to temp as usual, then I could hear the creaking/popping of the steam boiler as it was heating up. After a several minutes, the steam gauge started to move and then it all stopped. No more creaking and no more gauge movement. The RED light was still on and the PID display had the blinking dot, but no steam.

I took the covers off and the steam boiler was definitely hot, but no more noise and it seemed that it was starting to cool off. So from what I can gather the steam heater started to heat up both times, but then decided to stop all of a sudden. The steam boiler appeared to get up to temp/pressure the first time, but not the second time. Also, the GREEN light never came on the second time.

So I think it could be one of the various problems listed below:
1) Perhaps it thinks that there is not water in the steam boiler and it is not turning on the heater. Maybe this is why the pump turned on twice? Is there a way I an check the water level sensor or temporarily bypass it?

2) Maybe there really is not water in the steam boiler -  Since my unit is plumbed in, should water come out the steam wand just due to the line pressure like when the lever is in the middle position?

3) Perhaps the PID is not really telling the steam boiler to turn on even though the RED light is on and the dot is blinking - What wires do I check the voltage at?

4) Perhaps the heater is broken - Can I measure the resistance of the heater coil? If so, what wires?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

-Jim
 View Profile Link to this post
jjsaustin

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 8:33pm
Subject: Re: Any Duetto owners out there that can help me?....

I tried to do some more debugging tonight. I unplugged one of the terminals on the steam boiler and it measured the resistance at the heater terminals of the steam boiler and it measured 0 ohms. So this leads me to believe the heater element is good.

I then hooked it back up and I turned it on. The pump turn on for 1-2 sec. The pressure gauge for the steam went from 0 to 0.5. If I recall correctly, this seemed typical. I then opened up the steam wand and water came out (albeit cold). After the water ran out, the pressure gauge went to 0.
                -> Can any Duetto owners confirm what happens on their units if they try the above sequence?

After a while, the brew temp rose to the set point 202. After a couple minutes at temp, the steam boiler should have turned on. There was no creaking or signs that the steam boiler was heating up, like in my previous post. I tried to read the voltage at the Steam boiler and it was 0v. So this leads me to believe that the steam heater is not getting the signal to turn on. It may not be turning on because there is no water in the boiler.

There must be a sensor somewhere that tells the pump to turn off when the boiler is full. I think that is the root cause of my problem. This would explain why initially this morning the steam pressure started in the green zone and just kept dropping as I open up the steam valve and eventually went to 0.

Kind of surprising, I got a lot of views on this thread, but no responses. I guess I will have to call Chris's Coffee in the morning.
sharky
sharky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 8:41pm

If it's still under warranty, I would call CCS and let the techs troubleshoot it for 'ya.  If anyone can solve your problem, it would be those guys!  Good luck & keep us posted . . .
jjsaustin

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 5:55am

sharky Said:

If it's still under warranty, I would call CCS and let the techs troubleshoot it for 'ya.  If anyone can solve your problem, it would be those guys!  Good luck & keep us posted . . .

Posted April 7, 2013 link

I called Chris's Coffee and we narrowed it down to the relay over the PID. Later, I then cleaned the contacts and viola! Everything is back to normal. I ordered a new relay and a big thanks to Chris' Coffee!
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 6:39am

jjsaustin Said:

I called Chris's Coffee and we narrowed it down to the relay over the PID. Later, I then cleaned the contacts and viola! Everything is back to normal. I ordered a new relay and a big thanks to Chris' Coffee!

Posted April 10, 2013 link

I will second that! Jason, a tech at Chris', has kept me up and running for years, from the dumbest of questions to major repairs he has been there for me. Sales is easy but follow up on a purchase is priceless.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.385896921158)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+