Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Tripping my breaker..
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tripping my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
dougz

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 6:42pm
Subject: Re: Tripping my breaker..

]Click Here (i285.photobucket.com)

The one that tripped was one of the 15A breakers with one big handle (sorry if I'm getting too technical LOL), the other ones below it are 15 as well.  I think the 30A is the stove..

if she used a toaster or other heavy draw appliances then it was too much load

Ok, was hoping there was a way to have a dedicated circuit for the BZ07, but there's no spots open on the breaker board..

I'll call an electrician to see if there's anything reasonably cheap I can do, otherwise I'll just have to live with it.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 8:18pm

The electrician can install half size breakers, you have two breakers in the space of one so you may be in luck, good luck :-)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dougz

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 8:32pm

you have two breakers in the space of one so you may be in luck

Yeah, what's up with that?

Thanks, I'll make the call..  :)
OttoMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 9:18pm

Hmmm.   I started to write out a rather long post, but it's difficult to explain how all this works, especially if I can't draw on a whiteboard!  Bottom line:  you can't fix your problem by inserting more half-size breakers in your panel.  Also, as mentioned, don't swap a 15A breaker for a 20A breaker -- that will be a rather short-term solution!  Basically, you need to balance your load, or install a dedicated circuit.  The 1200W load of your coffee machine isn't terribly aggressive, but running a similar load at the same time will cause problems (as you've seen).   If possible, move these "other loads" to a different circuit.  If that's impossible, install a dedicated circuit for your coffee machine (or for your other heavy load).  Typically, running new/dedicated circuits is a bit of a pain, and can be costly.  Also, I wouldn't recommend using extension cords to plug things in to a different circuit.  However, if you insist on that, make sure they are rated for the appropriate current draw (or greater).

Good luck!
dougz

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 10:09pm

If possible, move these "other loads" to a different circuit.  If that's impossible, install a dedicated circuit for your coffee machine (or for your other heavy load).  Typically, running new/dedicated circuits is a bit of a pain, and can be costly.

Ok, thanks, I'll see what the electrician recommends..

Totally unrelated, but anyone else not getting email notifications for subscribed threads?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 3:53am

When the op said they were calling in an electrician I knew he would be getting sound advice on His SPECIFIC situation. Switching to a duplex breaker to add a circuit, will split the load and provide a specific solution to this problem.

You do not ALWAYS need to upgrade the panel to gain circuit space, that was the point I was making. On the other hand, though a licensed electrician WILL balance the load on the panel, only a hands on inspection of the equipment installation can determine if a service upgrade is advisable.

We can pontificate all we like but a professional on site is the only one who is qualified to make the call.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 5:59am

I was a bit short on time with the above post.

Eric, it sounds like you know a little about electric. (little is not a put down, it is a way to say you know something about the subject) and I do as well. I have a lot of time doing electrical work and it sounds like you have also.

I would never tell anyone or imply that anyone should do anything that is unsafe and it sounds like that is your concern here too, thank you for caring to keep things safe.

I have found that sometimes too much information is, well too much. If someone is not "up to speed" on a subject, it is often better to talk in general terms rather than be specific. The poster indicated that they were going to call an electrician and that is the safest course of action.

The poster indicated that the panel was out of spaces, implying that there was no room to add another circuit dedicated to an espresso machine, my post was just to give a little info that there are other ways to get more circuits than adding another full size breaker, that you can replace single size breakers with duplex breakers and thus free up some space to add another circuit.

The subject of is there enough capacity in his service, likely a 100 amp service, is another thing entirely. If the service needs to be upgraded to a 200 amp service, only an on site electrician, familiar with local codes in addition to the NEC, can determine if more work needs to be done.

As everyone has said, you should NOT just put a bigger breaker on the branch circuit, the run of wires needs to match the amppacity of the protection device. Even a contractor may not "get it right" if they are not properly trained. We recently had water damage to our home and while the walls were open, I asked the contractor to run a 20 amp line to the entertainment area so that I could remove the load of electronics from the home wall outlet circuit which was not designed for the devices we were running. As I have a day job as well, I asked them to do the work rather than doing it myself. The main run was done properly by an electrician but he did not do all I asked the contractor to do, so he had "one of his guys" finish the job. The "guy" spliced in 14 g wire onto the 12 g that the run was made with, he did this because it was on his truck and he did not want to run to the shop to get more wire.  Even though this was only to two outlets and likely would not be ever run to the branch circuit limit, you can NOT run a smaller gauge wire in that circuit as the POSSIBILITY exists that you could over tax the 14 g wire and cause a fire. I found the error and had the contractor correct the issue before the county inspector was called to OK the work. The moral of the above is I do know a little about this subject and would NEVER direct anyone to do anything that was unsafe.

Thank you for your concern and true desire to only give safe information in your posts.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

OttoMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 10:30am

calblacksmith Said:

I have found that sometimes too much information is, well too much. If someone is not "up to speed" on a subject, it is often better to talk in general terms rather than be specific. The poster indicated that they were going to call an electrician and that is the safest course of action.

Posted April 10, 2013 link

This is the right answer!

Wayne, I agree with everything you posted, and hope I didn't cause any confusion previously.  I guess what I was trying to say was that only installing a half size breaker won't fix the issue (though it will provide another breaker in an already-full panel).  To really fix the problem, you have to run a new circuit from that new breaker, and that's the tricky part.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Tripping my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383455038071)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+