Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Unusual Italian Art Deco espresso maker.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Unusual Italian...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kalo93406

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jul 1, 2008, 10:37pm
Subject: Unusual Italian Art Deco espresso maker.

Has any one ever seen this espresso maker?  Bottom is marked "6, MADE IN ITALY, v.110/120".  Any info anyone has would be appreciated.  Can anyone explain how this coffee maker works?  Maybe it isn't really considered an espresso maker...  Thank you..

Link to parts photos below.  The part with the long tube has four tiny holes around the very bottom of the tube at the bottom of the cup section.  It also has one tiny hole just under the cup in the tube that extends to near the bottom of the pot.. and that long tube is open to the bottom of the pot.

The one part that can be adjusted has a small part like a valve and a spring.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/kalo93406/espresso3.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/kalo93406/espresso2.jpg

kalo93406: espresso8.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Fri Jul 4, 2008, 12:44pm
Subject: Re: Unusual Italian Art Deco espresso maker.

Hi Roger,

It looks like a high-style version of the Bellman CXE I had as my very first espresso maker.  Here's a link to some info: Bellman CXE 25/27.  Technically speaking, you're right, it's more of an electric moka pot than what we'd currently consider as an espresso maker.

The coffee mine made was good, but it was a huge PITA to keep clean since grounds & coffee oils would always migrate into the brew water & contaminate the heating element (mmmm, burned coffee dregs with every cup!).  Unless it's bigger than it looks in the pics, yours doesn't look any easier to clean, unfortunately.

Have you used it yet?

Oh, & "welcome to Coffee Geek"!

-Greg

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
kalo93406

Posted Sat Jul 5, 2008, 1:09pm

Hi Greg.. thanks for your reply.  I'm not even sure this is a coffee maker at all...  Maybe it is just a milk frother?  Unfortunately I don't have a power cord for it so haven't even tested it. I'm just so confused even understanding how this thing "would" work.  To me, I don't understand where the coffee would come out of the machine.  If you look at the extra photos you can see there is just one small valve on the side of the machine and then just the one steam vent/nozzle on the very top.  The basket and the perforated basket cover are what make me think this could be used for coffee somehow.  If it did brew coffee.... where would the coffee come out?? would the coffee just stay in the pot?? (the machine doesn't look designed to pour brewed coffee out of the pot and there is no spout of any kind).  It's interesting the valve is on the side of the pot and there in no valve directly on the steam nozzle/vent. The heating element is not inside the main water pot, it is external.    Any further ideas you have or anyone else reading... please reply.. thanks!  Roger
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Sun Jul 6, 2008, 10:48am

Hey Roger, it's a little hard to tell from your pics, but it looks like the one "adjustable part" is probably a pressure relief valve.  From the way you've got it assembled in the pics, I'd say the boiling water would flow up the tube & exit at the bottom of the cup, saturating the grounds from the bottom up.  As the pressure forces the water up the center pipe, the brewed coffee would fill the cup & cap & be forced out of the spout.  The filter disk on top of the cup would keep the grounds from swirling into the cap section & clogging the spout.  The underside of the cap looks pretty dregs-coated.  There should be a rubber gasket inside of the cap to seal it off & create the pressure necessary to force the coffee out of the pot.  I'm not sure why there'd be a hole underneath the grounds cup.  Corrosion maybe?

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
kalo93406

Posted Sun Jul 6, 2008, 11:42am

Hi Greg.. I think you are exactly right.. I also was thinking that might be a possibility.  And there is a heavy rubber gasket to seal the cap. Yeah.. one small hole just under the cup holding the coffee grounds and four small holes just above the bottom of the cup. Not sure why the one is under, but since it is 4:1 the coffee would still make it's way up.  One thing i noticed was for the pressure relief part, the small valve stem was assembled so one would have to unscrew the venting port some to relieve pressure or vent it.  But if it is to function as a pressure relief valve then that valve stem/disk should be facing inward not out.  I think someone just assembled it wrong in the past.  If it wasn't meant to be a pressure relief valve we wouldn't have a need for a spring i guess.  The spring looks like it was replaced so it could be a problem, but in general since the vent is always open to atmosphere not much chance of blockage or over pressurization.   I should see if any of my older neighbors have a suitable cord for this and I could try it out.  I actually have this pot listed on Ebay.. but I don't care if it sells at all.  The design is so cool in my eyes.    Thanks for all your help.  Best to you... R:)
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 6:55am

It seems I've become a bit of a Necromancer... sorry for raising another thread, but this is a neat one!

Anyone have any more info on this thing?  I've been talking myself into a Bellman, but this has much more 'wife appeal' from a design standpoint.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Unusual Italian...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.485231876373)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+