Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 189 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 1:04pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

cuznvin Said:

I wouldnt like it to be anything. Just calling it as I see it.

Posted April 14, 2013 link

We rarely see things as they are.

cuznvin Said:

Its an honest concern. Question is.. Do I need the machine to tamp for me? Do I need a machine to steam for me? Maybe... Are the grinders burrs replaceable?

The canard is that the electronics are the first thing to go, when we all know that electronic failures are usually caused by water leaks and other mechanical failures. I'm not keen on super autos because I'd rather do my own grind, dose, tamp, and steam, but there is certainly a place for them in offices, sandwich shops, and that sort of place.

One interesting feature of the Oracle is the de-scaleability. I'd like to see that in the semi-auto line.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 1:07pm

bendavis78 Said:

Hi, I've had my BDB for about 6 months now and am getting a bit frustrated.  I can't seem to ever find the "sweet spot" (that is, a good-tasting shot).

All settings are factory. Most of my shots are pulling at around 11 bars. I've only had 1 or 2 shots that I'd call just about perfect. The rest of them are half drinkable and half terrible. The odd thing is, I pulled a double this morning that tasted sour -- it left a sort of metallic aftertaste in my mouth for quite some time (that's "sour", right?) -- the shot was pulled at 11 bars for 25 seconds. Doesn't sour indicate underextracted? If so, how could 11 bars of pressure at 25 seconds possibily be under-extracted? I'm doing my best to distribute and tamp correctly. I'm using the "chicago chop" method as well as an espro calibrated tamper for consistency. When I make my grind slightly coarser, the bars go down, but the shot time is under 20 seconds and it tastes really bad.  When I grind finer, it maxes out at around 11 bars, and lasts 35 seconds or more, and the shot tastes bitter.

I tested to see where the OPV was set by using the blind rubber disc in the single basket and pulling a single shot. It was at about 11.25 bars. Is that where it's supposed to be? Would I get better results if I adjusted the OPV down a bit?

*edit* I should also note that my grinder is the Breville Smart Grinder with the shim adjustment -- it grinds very fine. Also I'm using freshly roasted coffee beans (sweet maria's new classic espresso, home roasted in air popper to 2nd crack)

Your OPV is set too high, your dose is too low, and your grind is too fine. How long did the bean rest before pulling?

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 2:01pm

BubbaDude Said:

I'm guessing they wish they'd put in a USB connection so the user could update the code on his own, so maybe that's a feature the new models will have. It raises the unit price a little, but in the long run it has to save on service costs and that sort of thing.

Posted April 10, 2013 link

i bet they wish they did, too.  in fact, i'll take it a step further and surmise that the lack of a USB port for firmware updates was NOT an oversight though.  i bet they thought of it, but that the company lawyers said, "No way, no how!", because of the possibility of reverse engineering/decompiling the source code by talented hackers, which would then allow custom ROMs, which in turn would leave the company open to law suits in their largest market, the USA, where our civil liability laws not only tolerate, but encourage frivolous law suits.  Now, if we had a reasonable tort system like Australia/NZ and the rest of western Europe, a USB port might have been a reasonable possibility, because if you burned yourself or had an overpressure-related injury due to your custom ROM, you'd be laughed out of court and forced to pay the fees.  But here, you'd have a chance of winning big.  Too risky for a big company with an image to protect, in a huge, frivolous-law-suit tolerant market like the USA.

-Peter
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 2:12pm

What a lot of people would do I think, is get their money back and go elsewhere. If and its a big if, this next one goes south meaning number four, are you still invested ?

BubbaDude Said:

What is it that I'm supposed to need this patience for? I used a BDB for a whole year with no problems, and when it sprang a leak due to a manufacturing defect, Breville replaced it. The replacement had an unfortunate firmware problem, so they replaced it as well. The whole time I've not been without the ability to make espresso every day because they send me a new machine before I send them the old one, and they cover the shipping costs both ways. I'm a mile from a FedEx station, so the only inconvenience to me is taking a shiny new machine out of a box and putting a grungy old machine in the box and taking it to FedEx.

Should I demand they send a packer to my house to collect the old machine?

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 2:15pm

Iluvdabean Said:

What a lot of people would do I think, is get their money back and go elsewhere. If and its a big if, this next one goes south meaning number four, are you still invested ?

You don't get your money back 15 months after buying refurbed appliances, bean.

dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 2:19pm

Iluvdabean Said:

If i was on number three of anything Ide be done. Live and let live,
I like Bubbadudes patience.

Posted April 12, 2013 link

i don't think it would take much patience at all unless i had to go long periods without a working espresso machine.  but the way Breville is handling this, you don't have to go a single day without a working espresso machine.  when my VERY early model BDB got replaced for the set-too-high OPV issue, they sent me a new one BEFORE i had to return the old one, so i didn't miss a beat.  i put the old one back in the very easy to pack box and left it on my porch for the delivery man to pick up.  easy as pie. no patience required.

Iluvdabean Said:

The scace comment he has below is slightly humorous in light of the going on 3rd machine. He is a funny guy...

Posted April 12, 2013 link

i don't find the richard/Buubadude's scace comment the least bit humorous... because it is 100%, unequivocally, verifiably true.  no humor in that.  although i must admit that i do chuckle a little at the money some people spend to get inferior performance.

-Peter
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 2:26pm

Ah...I think you mentioned that once....yes youve done quite well then. I wish the best for all BDB users.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
bendavis78

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 2:31pm

BubbaDude Said:

Your OPV is set too high, your dose is too low, and your grind is too fine. How long did the bean rest before pulling?

What, ideally, should the OPV be set to with a blind filter?

I'm dosing right to the top of the basket (scraping level with a flat-edge). I'm also lightly tapping the PF to settle the grinds. Any suggestions on dosing more than that?  

The beans are 3-4 days old since roasted.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 2:49pm

bendavis78 Said:

What, ideally, should the OPV be set to with a blind filter?

I'm dosing right to the top of the basket (scraping level with a flat-edge). I'm also lightly tapping the PF to settle the grinds. Any suggestions on dosing more than that?  

The beans are 3-4 days old since roasted.

Your questions have been asked and answered on this thread previously, do some reading.

edmonton66

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 2:50pm

Hi.  I really am NOT trying to stir up an old debate but...I saw this yesterday.  It's about the whole 'bar pressure' thing.  The video is very interesting.  That said, I realize you guys here have the experience with the BDB.  I'm just wondering though, when this machine first came out and new owners were complaining about the opv being set too high, was it based on the generally accepted idea that 9bar was correct or was it based on what was happening in the cup?  For the record, I'm currently using a Breville Infuser.  Makes pretty good shots and I can actually make pretty acceptable microfoam (although I mainly just drink shots).  Oh, here's the link:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Gregory.
showing page 189 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.541517972946)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+