Espresso: Espresso Machines
MyPressi Twist, dose weight
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > MyPressi Twist,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
iHaveFeet

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Not yet
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Chemex/Coava...
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 3:46pm
Subject: MyPressi Twist, dose weight

Hi,

I use a MyPressi Twist V2  my espresso machine and I'm curious as to what experience other people have had in terms of how large a dose they need to get good shots? I typically find that I need a pretty high dose (aound 18 - 18.5g) to get good shots from the blend I use. This is with my Preciso set to the Macro #5 setting, which is pretty fine. Today I tried lowering my dose to 16.5g and I needed to dial down to #4A.

I'm wondering if others have also found that relatively high doses are needed to get good shots with their MyPressi? To be honest I'm a little nervous about having my Preciso set so fine, I'm worried it might damage it.

Thanks for any replies. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 4:12pm
Subject: Re: MyPressi Twist, dose weight

Dear iHaveFeet,

Your criteria for a good shot are flavor, strength, body, right?  Anything else? How long is your infusion lasting?  Do you time it?  Are you infusing with the bottom spout on or off?

I have been using a Twist for about two years, now.

Buckley
iHaveFeet

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 4:26pm

Yes, balanced flavour and body are ultimately what I'm judging a good shot on, with crema appearance and stability being a secondary characteristic. I am timing my shots and pulling them on a gram scale, just to give me an idea of how consistent I'm getting them from one shot to the next. The blend I'm using is roasted on the lighter side and I find that I like the shots best when I pull them a little long (35 - 40 seconds) and a little tight (20 - 25g shot weight, between 1 - 1.5oz by volume).

I'm pulling my shots "naked", as they say. Watching for flow is another indicator I use to tell if I'm dialed in.
Buckley

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 4:53pm

Everything you are doing sounds right to me in terms of technique and flavor.  I like my coffee strong (I am pulling shots for Americanos, black), but 14 oz per basket is strong enough for me.  I bought an extra basket and I make my As double shot.  I infuse each basket with water uo to the double shot line in the reservoir, I forget what that is in terms of volume.

We all need to dial tighter as the roast ages.  

At first I thought you might have a problem with channeling, but your infusion times sound like there is no channeling going on.  Your 'naked technique' tells me that you know what to look for.  In fact, your set-up sounds better than mine.  My shots were consistent for the first year and now they are channeling like crazy.  No change in technique.  Therefore, I moved from fresh premium roasts by mail (no chance of getting good local roasts here in Indianapolis) to roasting my own in small batches.  I only infuse 3 to 6 day old coffee.  I have gotten my technique as impeccable as possible but I still have a (recent) unacceptable rate of channeling.  I am about ready to move up to a big machine.

So, now we are discussing roasts.  Is this just with the one roast that you are presently using?  Do you have to use large amounts of coffee with other roasts?

OK, here is another criterion to look at:  what temperature does your roaster say to infuse at?

B
iHaveFeet

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 5:09pm

Thanks for the replies. :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear; I'm not having any problems getting good shots. I've had my MyPressi for a year and so I've got lots of practice with it and I get great shots out of it. ;) I've just always noticed that I need to use fairly high doses of around 18 - 18.5g in order to get the flow I want. Just wondering if other MyPressi users also find they need higher doses. But you say you dose at 14g? Are you grinding extremely fine with that dose?

Certainly it could be at least partly due to the roast. Both of my favourite local roasters do their espresso in the current style of lighter roast, bright fruity shots. They don't give temp recommendations on the bag but I can always ask next time I'm in the shop, and I can ask what dose they use in shop as well.

There is a roaster that isn't bad that does a bit of a darker espresso blend. I haven't used it in ages but maybe I'll pick up a bag and see what type of grind and dose their blend needs.
Buckley

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 5:21pm

Well, the flow that the manufacturer recommends, as I recall, centers around 25 seconds but I have had roasts that the roaster recommends go for 30-32 seconds.  If you are using 18+ grams, it makes sense that your infusions are lasting 35-40 seconds.  If you moved down to 14 grams, you would likely infuse for 25-30 seconds.  Everything you mention sounds normal.

I 'standardize' at 14 grams to start and grind to get a 25 second infusion.  Then I adjust the weight up or down for strength and adjust the grind coarser or finer to balance brightness, body, bitterness.

I have taken to adjust infusion temperature in the reservoir by using a steamtoy wand and a digital thermometer because I once had a good premium blend (Counter Culture Apollo) that tasted terrible until I brought the infusion up to the roasters recommended 205 degrees.

Good Luck.

B
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > MyPressi Twist,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.334081888199)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+