Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 192 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 8:06pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

pookguy88 Said:

just a quick question, I just got my machine, installing the water filter... is there supposed to be a click when I install it into the tank? It seems like I just place it there... and I push down with some force but doesn't seem to go much further but there's never a click or anything..... anyone??!?

Posted April 16, 2013 link

You're okay. It just kind of pushes on. I don't recall a click. Give it a twist or two if it makes you feel better :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 4:42am
Subject: Re: OPV setting..

PrescottCR Said:

One last point- When the OPV activates it does *not* waste water by dumping into your tray. Don't believe me? Pull out your tray while back flushing before you stop the pump. NOTHING is squirting down into your tray until you stop the pump and the three way valve kicks in. If you don't put your drip tray back in before shutting off the pump, you'll see the small amount of water released.

Posted April 15, 2013 link

You are 100% correct! The outlet from the OPV must be plumbed into the suction side of the pump. I lack a detailed Process and Instrumentaion Diagram for the machine so that statement about "plumbing" is just a "SWAG" (scientific wild a$$ guess) answer based on my "geeky" background as an engineer lol.

When I originally typed my response, I was "under buzzed". That's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL

Mea culpa, amigos.

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
 View Profile Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 9:43am
Subject: No worries!

I had seen this misunderstood at several times, I think the 3 way valve and OP valve get mixed up in people's minds. I hadn't had a specific example in mind when I finally remembered to mention this, but thanx for stepping up.

And I feel your under buzzed excuse, been there. Done that. Not today though :)

I'll say mea culpa now for whatever I'm getting wrong too.
MattOwn

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Looking
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 7:39am

Hi all,

I am just about ready to take the plunge on a BDB. Had been looking at slightly used, and ebay new sources until word of the /B came out. I am now thinking it would be best to get the improvements with the upgraded version. It doesn't look like anything is coming out of SCAA that would change my attraction to the BDB.

Has anyone come across a definitive (Breville source) summary of the changes in the /B model? I've gotten no response to that question from Breville Customer Service. Where are those of you with /Bs getting them? SCG and WLL don't have them yet.

This is my first real foray into home espresso (had a steam boiler some years ago). My job no longer takes me to Italy so I'm anxious to get my new machine.

Thanks...
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:55am

Ah... if You haven't seen the history, I would simply recommend to you here; buy it new and from a reputable dealer.
Sorry I don't have information on the /B.
(You can get the Cliff Notes brief from some of my back posts if you'll drill down my user name.)
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 2:43pm

You say this is to use your own words "Your first real espresso machine"! What made you choose a BDB? Have you looked at the other options available?

MattOwn Said:

Hi all,

I am just about ready to take the plunge on a BDB. Had been looking at slightly used, and ebay new sources until word of the /B came out. I am now thinking it would be best to get the improvements with the upgraded version. It doesn't look like anything is coming out of SCAA that would change my attraction to the BDB.

Has anyone come across a definitive (Breville source) summary of the changes in the /B model? I've gotten no response to that question from Breville Customer Service. Where are those of you with /Bs getting them? SCG and WLL don't have them yet.

This is my first real foray into home espresso (had a steam boiler some years ago). My job no longer takes me to Italy so I'm anxious to get my new machine.

Thanks...

Posted April 21, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 2:53pm

MattOwn Said:

Posted April 21, 2013 link

If you search the thread, there may be a list of /B features, but I can't point you at it. The ones I'm aware of would include improved seals, correction of some assembly line issues, a new OPV (I think) and updated firmware. I got a /B from Breville that had Err1 issues, but the replacement with updated firmware and a better thermistor is working fine.

I don't think any of the improvements are dramatic, but it's always nice to have the most recent model except when it isn't.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
occoffeefan

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario W, Mazzer Mini...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 10:13am

I had my first issue with the BDB, my portafilter spun out and popped off the machine. I called Breville and they said just keep the top of the filter basket dry when you screw in the portafilter and it will not pop off.  I just make sure that it is dry when I screw it in and it is fine.
I asked for a new silicone ring which they are sending to me. (it is only 4 dollars if you need to order it). It turns out it easily replaced, just remove one screw.  I will replace the old silicone ring when it arrives since I do notice that the silicone ring becomes more slippery over time where the portafilter comes in contact with it.  Other than that, the machine has been a great experience.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
gmanjc

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 10:31am

Hi,

I've had my Breville DB for about three months now.

I was intrigued by the new /B model since I have only recently purchased my machine, so I emailed customer service and got a response.

Basically, the improvements with this machine are extremely incremental and the /B doesn't represent a huge change from say the A21 model.

For instance, a computer program version # could progress as:  1.7, 1.8, 1.9 and then 2.0. Just because it has reached 2.0, doesn't mean it's completely different than version 1.9. The same is true with this machine. The /B model probably only has 1 or 2 extremely small changes from the last iteration of the A version.

If you want a Breville DB, I would just go ahead and buy one from a reputable source such as Amazon or one of the well known smaller vendors. Chances are, you will get one of the latest models in the A series and it'll be nearly identical to the /B model.

I'm repeating what I heard from the Breville customer service rep and coming up with my own conclusions so I don't mean to speak as an authority, but this is how I understand it.
B747VET

Espresso: BES900XL/B
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 1:08pm

Anyone tried the new Breville Naked Portafilter for the BDB yet?
showing page 192 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.490496873856)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+