Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Grit in cup
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Grit in cup  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jimboc

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: mypressi twist
Grinder: Baratza Precico
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 11:04pm
Subject: Grit in cup

New (well preloved) machine (Bezzera BZ99), loving the coffee but there's grit left in the cup like in the picture. Actually this cup wasn't bad, I can have up to twice/three times the amount.

The pour is on the quick side if anything and I can't dose any more in the double basket without striking the showerscreen. Tamping around 30 pounds so I haven't got much room to move there either if I was to coarsen up the grind.

I've tried two grinders, a Preciso and BB95 (50mm flat), the grit level is about the same.

I've never seen grit on the only other machine I've ever used (the mypressi) although its basket has finer holes (0.0125" vs 0.0170").

I tried catching the run off from the overpressure valve as documented here and only got 1.5 oz in 25 seconds, making my brew pressure look higher than 8.5-9.5 bar (I don't have a gauge). Would that seem excessive enough to demand my grind to be too fine leading to grit?

Or would you be checking other things first than playing around with the OPV? This world is all new to me.

Brew temp seems ok. I do a quick cooling flush (1-2 oz) until I notice the water isn't being flashed into steam. If anything I'd be brewing towards the upper end of the 195-205F temp range I've seen recommended a few times. If I dropped the temp down, the faster extraction would require me to grind even finer, right?, which wouldn't be leading away from grit.

jimboc: grit.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
AntWilliams90
AntWilliams90
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario Home
Roaster: Dieckmann Rostmeister
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 1:16am
Subject: Re: Grit in cup

Well, I've never questioned it before since I've had it happen on both very expensive commercial machines, and on my own Gaggia Classic - but I always have the amount of grit your picture shows...up to twice as much as your picture shows and I'm not too worried - more than that and I might start to question it...
Just my personal experience though!

As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
jimboc

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 2:41am

Interesting, I can't say I've ever seen it in coffees I've ordered before but maybe I just wasn't looking closely.

The Mypressi definitely didn't have grit (and I definitely looked closely with it), so I just assumed grit was an indicative of something being wrong.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 5:46am

I could be wrong but I always get this when brewing espresso.  Also with french press.  I think it's just coffee oil residue.  No paper filter to hold it back.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ddubick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 3:46pm

Could be the grinder (uneven grind) or a worn portafilter basket.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:39am

I was thinking worn or larger basket holes.  I would think pro shops replace their baskets more often then we at home do.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jimboc

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 7:45am

The typical hole in the basket is around 0.4 mm diameter, so pretty much in the same ball park as new baskets for a range of machines. I don't think the machine has had a lot of use actually either.

I discovered today that it is the unwet puck that is advised not to hit the showerhead--I've been making sure the wet and expanded puck shows no (or minimal) indentation. So I've got a bit more room now to updose and grind coarser.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
ddubick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 10:36am

You probably don't want to grind coarser if you're getting an otherwise good shot.  I was saying that perhaps your grinder was producing an uneven grind.  What kind of grinder do you have, how old is it and have you ever replaced the burrs?

And the basket, the holes enlarge over time, but if you say the machine hasn't been used much that's probably not it.  Of course baskets are cheap (except VST's... which in the grand scheme of espresso, are still pretty cheap) - it might be worth picking up a new one to eliminate one possibility.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Grit in cup  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.363065958023)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+