Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 7:29pm
Subject: Re: McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do

cuznvin Said:

Why would you use Nutella that is made from Hazelnuts?  The McD Mocha ingredients didnt seem to contain any nuts, did they?

Posted April 17, 2013 link

Cause I wanted to see what it would taste like... and it is chocolate too.....its pretty good.

Nutella Ingredients: sugar, palm oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, skim milk, reduced minerals whey (milk), lecithin as emulsifier (soy), vanillin: an artificial flavor.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 8:54pm

DeanOK Said:

Nutella Ingredients: sugar, palm oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, skim milk, reduced minerals whey (milk), lecithin as emulsifier (soy), vanillin: an artificial flavor.

It just seems that lists of ingredients like that seems counter-intuitive to being a "coffeegeek."
If you are going to take the time to make a beverage at home, with your own hands, why not try to make it the best you can? Something to be proud of?
- Fresh coffee beans used to make espresso.
- Real vanilla extract
- Make your own hazelnut extract (google it- it's not difficult)
- Quality dark chocolate
- Organic milk
- Cane sugar (if you feel the need) or even vanilla infused sugar

I despise Nutella- Their advertising "proudly" states:
  Over 50 Hazelnuts per 13 oz. Jar
  Contains No Artificial Colors
  Contains No Artificial Preservatives
It sounds good until you read on to find that they add artificial vanilla and numerous, highly-processed ingredients.

Here is a thought. Instead of trying to make something like MacDonalds, why not try to make something better?
And seriously, and I do mean, that my dogs as well as my cats eat better quality food than that.

Food comes from nature, not from factories. Chemicals come from laboratories. Be kind to your taste buds as well as your body.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 9:28pm

frcn Said:

It just seems that lists of ingredients like that seems counter-intuitive to being a "coffeegeek."
If you are going to take the time to make a beverage at home, with your own hands, why not try to make it the best you can? Something to be proud of?

Seems to me he is.  His palate is not yours.

Hmm... I have a dark roast that really is not particularly palatable (to me).  Think I'll buy some Nutella. Thanks for the idea Dean. :-)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 10:32pm

Sounds like DeanOk doesn't like the taste of coffee but does of everything else.  For a long time I wondered why I liked some margaritas and not others.  I went to mexico and had a shrimp dish with tequila sauce and I got my answer.  I could only eat the shrimp if I cleaned all the sauce off them.  If the margaritas were lime slushies, i.e.weak drinks and I could not taste the tequila I liked them.  When I could taste the tequila I could not finish them.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 4:10am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Sounds like DeanOk doesn't like the taste of coffee but does of everything else.

I would disagree. I don't like strong coffee. The problem is that I like everyone else's coffee except my own. You probably remember me telling the story of when I used to make espresso based drinks over 10 years ago with my cheapo Briel espresso maker....and loved them. I actually think they were better than anything I have made with the CC1 but is had been a long time ago and maybe my memory is not as accurate as I think it is... but they seemed great at the time. I like good brewed coffee and espresso but I always put a lot of milk/cream and sugar in them.... more than most people.... but when you weaken the coffee down enough that the coffee is an accent flavor instead of the overpowering flavor, I find the coffee flavor to add a lot.... but not when I make my own espresso. I don't always drink mocha type drinks, but they are a strong favorite. Another strong favorite is pumpkin spice. I love pumpkin and pumpkin ice cream is my favorite ice cream. Too bad it is seasonal.

BTW I think , Nutella and Caramel Sauce go together great. Reminds me of Pecan Pralines.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 4:40am

Theres just no way those old junk Briels (no offense) make better coffee then your setup, not possible, for one thing they were pressurized portafilters (aka doesn't make real espresso) and pretty sure you weren't using a grinder a fraction as capable as the Vario ;) . CC1 actually brews real coffee and actually steams milk correctly. That'd be like me saying my 1st machine a Delonghi Bar 32 makes better coffee then now, or that McDs makes a better burger then one made at home fresh ground and grilled perfect. Then again I'm sure there are some that would take a McD burger over an killer fresh gourmet burger lol. McD's is just a nice super auto, and even the high end super autos (just look at Starbucks $$$$ machines) don't make drinks as a good as a semi setup like yours.

It sounds like you just don't really like coffee, but coffee drinks where basically they don't even resemble coffee. I'll take McDs drink over Starbucks, but no comparison to a home made one. Two different drinks, one actually taste like a real coffe drink, the other an extremely sweet and covered up drink where you taste almost none of the coffee and it leaves this chemical aftertaste/film in your mouth (looking at the ingredients no wonder lol).

Taste McDs coffee straight, if you prefer that over Redbird etc, then you'll know your tastebuds are either gone or out of wack ;) . And if you don't like it, but love the "sweet" drinks, you'll know it's b/c the coffee is pretty much masked with all the junk they that's in the drink that you happen to like.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 5:10am

CMIN Said:

Theres just no way those old junk Briels (no offense) make better coffee then your setup....

Posted April 18, 2013 link

I tend to agree with you on principal. I think the problem is me, but I have worked and worked to improve the end product and can't get there. I don't remember every throwing my espresso drinks away when I used the Briel... over half of the coffee I have made with the CC1 has been poured down the drain.

I have tried every tamping technique, brewing method such as stopping when I see bonding, timing my shots, and everything else.  I cant say that I haven't had a few that were pretty decent. I have. The vast majority of my drinks were not that great. Right now, I am using Redline. I can create a shot exactly within their recommended  profiles.....19 grams of coffee to yield 19-20 grams of espresso in 23 seconds. The one variable I have is I am not 100% sure that I am right on with the portafilter water temperature, but I think I am within 2 degrees of knowing what temperature I am hitting the grounds with. I have made a lot of espresso that tastes like fireplace ashes.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 6:05am

DeanOK Said:

I tend to agree with you on principal. I think the problem is me, but I have worked and worked to improve the end product and can't get there. I don't remember every throwing my espresso drinks away when I used the Briel... over half of the coffee I have made with the CC1 has been poured down the drain.

I have tried every tamping technique, brewing method such as stopping when I see bonding, timing my shots, and everything else.  I cant say that I haven't had a few that were pretty decent. I have. The vast majority of my drinks were not that great. Right now, I am using Redline. I can create a shot exactly within their recommended  profiles.....19 grams of coffee to yield 19-20 grams of espresso in 23 seconds. The one variable I have is I am not 100% sure that I am right on with the portafilter water temperature, but I think I am within 2 degrees of knowing what temperature I am hitting the grounds with. I have made a lot of espresso that tastes like fireplace ashes.

Redline I don't actually care for, Redbird is what I thought you were using, Redbird you may really like since it's a very deep/chocolate like flavor. Have you played with times, and temp, preinfusion (I like mine now at 2 seconds pre/2 seconds wait) etc? It could be the beans, but with this machine and the Vario, if you not really liking the shots or coffee drinks you may just not like espresso in general (which happens). I actually don't really go by any roasters specs, I personally shoot for between 25-30 seconds times from first drip which is the range that Redbird states actually and also says to time from first drip.

Those old Briels and really any pressurized portafilter machines makes to me what's more like a shot of drip coffee lol (same with superautos even high end ones), if you enjoy drip type coffee that could be why you preferred the old machine? Even if you were to use the same beans and grinder on one of those machines, be a totally different mouth feel, taste  etc then on the CC1 or really any semi-automatic machine.

Are you sure your getting 19 grams into the PF and not hitting the screen, and possibly fracturing the puck before extraction? I know when I measured anything really above 18 grams was about the limit for the double basket, and even at 18 grams I had a clear and hard pressed indention of the screen into the puck, I normally dose around 16 so even with expansion I get no indention there.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 8:23am

Just go get them to give you the coffee before they add flavors. That will tell you what you need to know. If you don't compare apples to apples then you are just spinning your wheels.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 11:58am

CMIN Said:

Redline I don't actually care for, Redbird is what I thought you were using, Redbird you may really like since it's a very deep/chocolate like flavor.

I was using Rebird.... and someone in this thread, if I remember correctly, suggested I try Redline. They tout it as being a good coffee to use in milk based drinks. I agree that Redbird has a pretty chocolaty flavor.

CMIN Said:

Are you sure your getting 19 grams into the PF and not hitting the screen, and possibly fracturing the puck before extraction?

I have a vario W and I assume the digital scale is pretty accurate and repeatable. I have never checked it. I think I get a good tamp most of the time. I usually get the two streams that come together to form one stream and few if any squirters. I have only been using a naked PF.
showing page 9 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.529366016388)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+