Espresso: Espresso Machines
McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 11 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 4:16pm
Subject: Re: McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do

If you go to McD's website and click on their nutritional value chart: click here

You see that if you choose a McCafe Latte with only espresso and no added sauces or syrups, there's already 15g of sugar in a medium latte with only milk and espresso checked off. Clicking on "add sugar packet" bumps it up to 19g.

So it looks like a very significant amount of sugar is already in their drink mix even if you asked for no sugar.

The favorable effects on the human palate of sugar is well known. It is no surprise that a lot of Americans (including my dad who loves all things sugar) prefer the McCafe drinks to anything I brew him at home unless I load it up with sugar.
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 4:18pm

CarloM Said:

If you go to McD's website and click on their nutritional value chart: click here

You see that if you choose a McCafe Latte with only espresso and no added sauces or syrups, there's already 15g of sugar in a medium latte with only milk and espresso checked off. Clicking on "add sugar packet" bumps it up to 19g.

So it looks like a very significant amount of sugar is already in their drink mix even if you asked for no sugar.

The favorable effects on the human palate of sugar is well known. It is no surprise that a lot of Americans (including my dad who loves all things sugar) prefer the McCafe drinks to anything I brew him at home unless I load it up with sugar.

Posted April 19, 2013 link

Look at a milk container... Milk has natural sugars in it.  If no sugar is added where would you think the sugar comes from?
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 6:02pm

This is a slow motion train wreck that just keeps on.  When your coffee making efforts are bested by McD's, just put a fork in it, your done. Go get your coffee fix at McD's.
cuznvin

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 6:12pm

Frost Said:

This is a slow motion train wreck that just keeps on.  When your coffee making efforts are bested by McD's, just put a fork in it, your done. Go get your coffee fix at McD's.

Two thumbs up!!
tinytot2

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 7:16pm

DeanOK Said:

The MD's has a much stronger coffee aroma when you hold the cup to your nose (nice).

I had one on the ride home from work today.  It really was sweet.   I'm thinking it is strong coffee (not espresso)  with warm (not frothed) milk.  Lots of sugar. I smelled bitter chocolate, not coffee. It was super smooth, though.

Maybe you are frothing the milk too much?  Have you tried brewing extra strong coffee in place of espresso?  Dare I say they use a bit of powdered hit chocolate mix in there?

How many shots of espresso have you been using in your drinks? What sized drink are you making?
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 7:47pm

tinytot2 Said:

How many shots of espresso have you been using in your drinks? What sized drink are you making?

I make a double shot from 19 grams of freshly ground coffee. I have been experimenting with yield. I have varied anywhere from 20 grams to 40 grams of espresso. I always try to keep total shot time between 23 and 30 seconds. I usually add about 5-6 oz of milk.

tinytot2 Said:

Maybe you are frothing the milk too much?  Have you tried brewing extra strong coffee in place of espresso?  Dare I say they use a bit of powdered hit chocolate mix in there?

I don't froth the milk much. I steam it and only introduce a small amount of air to make a very small foam.

I questioned them at MD's today. They assured me that their lattes and mochas were made with real espresso. When I questioned them about ratios and how much espresso they used to make the drink, they didn't know anything. The system is completely automated.

The aroma I was commenting on was from a plain latte with whole milk. No chocolate or flavors were added.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:15pm

It is a super auto and I bet very little if any crema.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cuznvin

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 4:01am

tinytot2 Said:

I had one on the ride home from work today.  It really was sweet.   I'm thinking it is strong coffee (not espresso)  with warm (not frothed) milk.  Lots of sugar. I smelled bitter chocolate, not coffee. It was super smooth, though.

I posted all the ingredients in that drink..
tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:50am

cuznvin Said:

I posted all the ingredients in that drink..

Posted April 20, 2013 link

Sorry, I missed that post.  My bad.

Doesn't mean he can't try any of the ideas I listed to replicate the flavor of the drink.
cuznvin

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:54am

tinytot2 Said:

Sorry, I missed that post.  My bad.

Doesn't mean he can't try any of the ideas I listed to replicate the flavor of the drink.

Posted April 20, 2013 link

I will put money on the fact that he will never replicate that drink.
showing page 11 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.506201982498)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+