Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Is the Gaggia Classic still considered the best entry level espresso machine.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is the Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Jenn312

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 9:25am
Subject: Is the Gaggia Classic still considered the best entry level espresso machine.

Hi,

I was on a couple of months ago and went with everyone's suggestion of getting a moka pot and a hand grinder as my entry point into the world of espresso. At the time I could not afford a grinder and a good machine. I still can't afford both because I was unable to drink the coffee from the moka pot and believe me I tried. In the end I am back to my daily Starbucks habit that is burning a whole in my pocket. I need to get a machine and yes I know I should get a grinder first but honestly I don't want to. I really need to see if I can keep with a habit of making myself a daily cappuccino and  lattes first before investing in a grinder. If and when I do decide on a grinder I am leaning towards the Ranchilio Rocky Doserless. I can afford to go up to $600 but would prefer to stay at $350 and save the rest for the grinder. I would like a machine that I can keep for at least 5 years that also makes a good foam for cappuccinos, and latte's
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 9:58am
Subject: Is the Gaggia Classic still considered the best entry level espresso machine.

What grinder is your hand grinder?  If it is good enough then you can get by with it till you get better.  Have you tried french press?  Espresso is a lot of work.  Do you think you can get a lesson from a local barista to find out if you will do it before you spend your money?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jenn312

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 10:16am

Coffeenoobie Said:

What grinder is your hand grinder?  If it is good enough then you can get by with it till you get better.  Have you tried french press?  Espresso is a lot of work.  Do you think you can get a lesson from a local barista to find out if you will do it before you spend your money?

Posted April 20, 2013 link

I have a hand grinder. I doubt I can get a lesson from a barista but I will look out and see if I ever see anything for a home barista class. I know its a lot of money but I am spending more at Starbucks plus it takes extra time and money because once in Starbucks I usually get enticed by something from their display case.
Fred1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 10:20am
Subject: Re: Is the Gaggia Classic still considered the best entry level machine

If you have $600 you could spend the Gaggia Clasic/Baratza Preciso combination should be within your reach.  Check with Whole Latte Love to see what kind of deal they can give you.  Yes the Gaggia Classic is an excellent entry level espresso macnine.

Fred
Jenn312

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 11:13am
Subject: Re: Is the Gaggia Classic still considered the best entry level machine

The Gaggia classic does have a good steamer correct?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 11:27am

Good is relative... what is your need steam wise?  And I was suggesting an informal barista class for a tip...

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 11:33am
Subject: WLL go there now!!!

You can get the Gaggia Classic and Gaggia grinder at whole latte love for 524.00
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3,...
Grinder: baratza vario, Hario...
Drip: chemex
Roaster: whirly pop
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 3:06pm
Subject: Re: Is the Gaggia Classic still considered

Out of curiosity, are you experimenting with different roasts and brands of beans? I think the moka pot is a wonderful device, so I'm a little surprised that you dislike it so much... most people do move on to bigger and better things from there, but as long as you have good/fresh beans, consistent grind and perfect water-temp, it SHOULD make a very delicious brew.. hm.

...Have you considered the Aeropress or Mypressi? The Aeropress makes a brew a lot like the moka pot in the sense that it's a coffee-concentrate, and both are similar to espresso, but the Aeropress makes a much cleaner and consistent coffee... it satisfied my need for espresso and/or lattes while I saved for my espresso machine. For only $20-$30 I don't see a big risk in trying it out. Plus it's just fun to experiment!

The Mypressi is also nice, because it makes true espresso... but it's so much cheaper than any other espresso machine that's worth a dime (the downside is, it uses N2o cartridges and has no ability to froth milk... but still very much worth it, imho)

Going with a cheaper coffee maker will allow you to spend more on your grinder... which is the most important thing anyway. Seriously... don't skimp on that part. I tried to do that too in the beginning, but I quickly learned the dramatic difference it made with a better grinder :D Now I want an even better one than my Vario...

I'm not a big fan of the gaggia since it is a singer boiler and cannot froth milk the same time it brews (along with other things)... but I also know I'm an all-or-nothing kind-of-girl and that's why I skipped the whole entry-level thing.

Pretty much everything recommended here is better than Starbucks... everyone starts out preferring Starbucks, and once they do a fair share of experimenting and defining their pallets, they discover Starbucks really isn't all that good... haha
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 3:21pm
Subject: Re:Is the Gaggia Classic still considered the best entry level espresso machine

Gaggia Classic for $349, current sale.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/classic.cfm

Baratza Preciso refurbished when available from Baratza.com for $239, and about $10-$15 shipping. The refurbished grinders are usually available on Thursdays until sold. Look on Thursday mornings.

Helen's suggestion of an informal barista class is an excellent idea. Perhaps you can find a Coffee geek member with a Gaggia Classic or another similar machine near you. I did not see your location listed. You might do well to spend some time before you spend your money and actually see the machine in use making the drink that you like. It sounds like you need to see what is involved in making an espresso drink and cleanup. You would also get a realistic idea as to whether the steaming will meet your needs. That said, I don't believe you will have trouble making a single cappuccino or latte, I actually use that setup. I can't brew and steam at the same time but I may not be multitasking in the morning until I've had my coffee, so the machine is not holding me back. I think the bigger drawback is to try to make another espresso after you have steamed. You then have to wait for the machine to cool and stabilize. As long as you are making one steamed drink the Classic should be more than adequate for several years. You certainly can steam a second drink if you are willing to wait a few minutes for the temperature to stabilize.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Jenn312

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 4:03pm

Ok I am going to try and answer all the questions. I like in NYC unfortunately I don't see a lot of small coffee houses around me just a Starbucks and DD on every block.

I don't really want to buy an Aero press because I feel like I already wasted my money on a moka pot. The coffee it made was so bad my guests even said it was the worst coffee they ever had I tried Lavazza beans and some others I bought on line. I even went to both Starbucks and Fairway and had them grind the beans for me on their big fancy grinders.

I need to make at least 2 steam drinks in the morning and maybe around 4 when company comes over.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is the Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.387606859207)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+