Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Mypressi Valve needing replaced... For 2nd time.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Mypressi Valve...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3,...
Grinder: baratza vario, Hario...
Drip: chemex
Roaster: whirly pop
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 11:43am
Subject: Mypressi Valve needing replaced... For 2nd time.

Hello!

My Mypressi gets pretty heavy use... I noticed serious leakage before, and had to talk to Mypressi support. They ended up sending my a valve replacement and that did the trick, but its leaking again already and I'm sure it's the valve acting up again. Has anyone else dealt with this? I really don't want to constantly hound them for replacement parts, but I'm not not sure what the alternative is... Is there one?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:18pm
Subject: Re: Mypressi Valve needing replaced... For 2nd time.

I think there was a recent discussion on this topic a month or so ago.  Look for author "Buckley" and see his posts, as he was one of the responders with past experience.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:39pm

Wow, there are a TON of results.. I would have no idea where to start.

I do see however, him mentioning a cracked showerhead... It's nice to see they replaced it several times over for him, but I'm just wondering if a misshapen valve is a common issue, and if there's anyway to repair it or purchase it separately then constantly hounding the company to send me freebies...
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:47pm

this was the one I was referring to, but I guess it was a shower screen issue, not a valve - sorry.  As you can see, he has a bit of MyPressi experience, so maybe he's had the valve issue as well?

Buckley Said:

Dear BerkelyLatte,

I am a Mypressi user with the same experiences as you.  It is likely that you are continuing to use the Twist and I bet that the gas-out-the-handle issue has gone away, or at least only happens occasionally.

Steven at Mypressi has been good in replacing my cracked showerheads, too.  I have gone through four of them and have mostly bought them out of appreciation for the company, even though this appears to be a weakness in the fabrication.

There are several factors that may be contributing to the sudden appearance of the gas-through-the-handle thing.  Aging of the unit is one concern, but, more likely, this is occurring when the Twist 'chokes' on a dose that is ground too fine.  Is this your experience?  This happened to me for the first time when I changed gas cartridge styles, and so I am looking at that, too.  In 1-1/2 years of using Mypressi, it has happened about four times, mostly recently.

I agree that the Twist gets to be old in our search for the best espresso.  The water reservoir temperature is impossible to get above 190 degrees from a kettle and there are some espresso blends that are not going to infuse well at this temp.  I bought a Krups 'steam toy' for $5 at a garage sale to steam milk for my wife and inserting the steam wand into the Twist reservoir water with a digital thermometer can bring the temp up to any level desired, if you don't mind holding the Twist in one hand, the steam control in the other and the thermometer in the third.

Your search for a replacement machine will be watched by me with interest, since I am almost there myself.  Please keep in mind that any larger unit will have its own quirks and shortcomings - no machine is perfect - and the Mypressi will be nice to have around as a backup.

Thank for your post.

Buckley

Posted April 5, 2013 link

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 2:04am

strawberrykoi Said:

Wow, there are a TON of results.. I would have no idea where to start.

I do see however, him mentioning a cracked showerhead... It's nice to see they replaced it several times over for him, but I'm just wondering if a misshapen valve is a common issue, and if there's anyway to repair it or purchase it separately then constantly hounding the company to send me freebies...

Posted April 22, 2013 link

Dear strawberrykoi,

Sorry I'm late.  Having a life interferes sometime.

Do you have problems with the reservoir dripping into the basket, i.e. losing water level, while you are preheating or filling the reservoir?  Or do you have problems with brew water leaking out from around the basket top while you are infusing under pressure?  The first is the rubber flap valve issue and the second is the cracked rigid ring issue.

To cut down on the back-and-forth a little bit, here are some suggestions: if it is the first, this is most commonly caused by the grit of water scale keeping the flap valve from closing.  Pop the showerhead apart by pressing through one the black holes with the blunt end of a chopstick, or some such.  Do you have very hard water and scale in your kettle?  This might be the culprit.  If so, clean out the scale grit and reassemble.  If this does not fix this particular problem, email Mypressi (see below).  If your problem is the second, look very carefully at the rigid black outer ring.  If you see a very fine crack - sometimes across the ring near the junction of the small black 'handles', sometimes across the ring distant from the handles and sometimes running circumferentially in the cove, the recess, of the rigid plastic.  The quickest fix for this is to take the pod-unit showerhead from your supplies that came with the unit and use the blunt-pressure method to dissassemble it and use the rigid plastic ring with your standard basket shower screen component.  if this fixes the problem, then it was a cracked showerhead.  Do not hesitate to email Stephen, the owner, at Mypressi support about your problem.  He has been very responsive in the past.  I get the impression that they do not know the frequency with which their showerheads are failing.  They need to know this and I need you to tell them so that they continue to take my need for replacements seriously.

Emradguy - thank you for remembering my posts.

Good coffee to you both.

With Kindness,

Buckley
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 5:50pm

Hi Buckley!

I really appreciate your response and input! The leaking is definitely coming through the showerhead, while I am heating the resevoir.

Our water isn't wicked hard, but its not perfectly soft either... I do see some visual evidence of hard water residue on the valve (But none in the kettle, as its easier to clean). So, how do I properly, but thoroughly, clean it?

Thanks again!
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 6:54pm

Dear sk,

If you see the valve, I assume you have pushed the pierced metal head and o-ring off.  For others who may be reading this: there are four openings on the black plastic side of the showerhead.  Through these openings you can see the soft black rubber valve.  If you push on this valve gently through the opening with something thin but blunt (most people use the back end of a chopstick), taking care not to tear the rubber valve, you will be popping the metal and o-ring off of the other side.

So, sk.  Once you can examine the flap valve, just wipe any grit off of it with your fingers.  Examine it for cracks or tears.  I have never had any of these.  One person reported that the center 'button' securing the rubber flap to the rigid plastic was loose and not holding the flap against the rigid top of the valve.  I have not experienced this problem, either.  Once I have wiped the grit away, then nothing remains stuck to the rubber; my flap always seems to seat well against the black plastic.  Rinse any mineral grit off of the inside of the metal screen.  Then I just place the metal screen back on the bottom of the unit and tuck the o-ring back into place.  If you notice that you have any of the problems with the integrity of the rubber flap, I expect that Stephen will replace it even a second time without a second thought; please do not hesitate to contact info@mypressi.com.

If you have loose mineral scale swimming around the bottom of your kettle, that could be enough to get caught in the flap valve.  You can see my post 'How to soften hard water without a softener...' for a couple of steps to reduce the mineral content of your water.  If scale has build up in your kettle, boil a little citric acid powder from a good hardware store or a wine and beer brewing supply store to dissolve it away.

B
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Mypressi Valve...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.409181833267)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+