Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvia - no water through group head
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia - no...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
gakku

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 11:09am
Subject: Silvia - no water through group head

Hello all - this is my first post here and unfortunately it is because of a problem. My Rancilio Silvia this weekend suddenly stopped brewing coffee in the middle of a brew. Since then no water is coming out of the group head, though I get steam and water from the side spout. I have looked up this problem on these forums and dismantled and cleaned the three way valve, but still nothing. When I remove the three way valve, water comes down to the drip tray when I press the brew switch. I have no idea what to do next, so would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Dayglow
Dayglow
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 1:56pm
Subject: Re: Silvia - no water through group head

When you hit the coffee brew switch does the pump activate and everything fires up just without water coming out of the group? If you hit the steam or hot water switches do they work fine dispensing as normal?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 3:08pm

Welcome to CG!

have you removed the shower screen and tried without it?  When did you clean it last?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
gakku

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 7:38pm

The pump does work and steam and water dispense as usual. I last cleaned it maybe a couple of weeks ago.
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 8:01am

If the pump fires up like usual, you may have a blockage from some scale buildup that possibly dislodged from the boiler and relocated somewhere else in the brew path. When you hit the brew switch, if the pump activates like normal does it begin to labor? After you switch it off does the solenoid drain the pressure? If so you can try doing a heavy mixed descale and leave it sitting for a day after getting the boiler volume swapped with solution and run into the piping to see if that helps, otherwise you might need to disassemble the boiler and adjacent tubes.
Take apart the shower screen and group to see if things are gummed up at all before going through more aggressive means.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 8:21am

Turn on the water switch while listening carefully. Turn off the water switch.  Next turn on the brew switch and compare the sound. There should be a click from the solenoid as you turn on the switch which you do not hear with the water switch.  Alternatively you can leave the water switch on and turn the brew switch on and off listening for the click of the solenoid.  If you hear the solenoid the problem is not electrical. You may have to rebuild the three way valve.  If the issue is electrical and you don't have a schemo I can scan mine and post it.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gakku

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 1:06am

Thanks for the tips. I tried listening hard but I couldn't hear any clicks. Also I don't hear pressure draining. One more thing - I had bought my silvia second hand and it had been modified with a temperature controller. Not sure if that makes a difference. Appreciate any electrical schemes to look at.
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 3:17am

Your temperature controler sounds like a PID. If your PID has controls for preinfusion, dwell time, and brew time it will over ride the brew switch function when you turn it on. What you may need to do is program those settings that way when you activate the sequence on the PID it will automatically run it for a specified time. There's a good video that the Seattle Coffee guys made about a Silvia with a preinfusion PID. Any photos of the setup might help with identification and instructions.
gakku

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 5:51am

Thanks. Yes, it has a PID, but I thought it just controlled the temperature more closely. I've uploaded a couple of pictures here
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 11:56am

You have one SSR and I do not see much extra wiring.  That suggests PID control of brew temperature only, though not proof positive.  When you steam is there a second controller temperature controlling the steam?  If not then very unlikely pre-infusion messing with the 3 way.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia - no...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.398950099945)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+