Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic Pressure test issues?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
toyman

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever Plus,...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 6:38am
Subject: Gaggia Classic Pressure test issues?

I've been searching and haven't found any posts with my issue.  I connected a pressure guage to my portafilter last night.  Let the machine warm up and tried to take a reading.  It leaked thru the top of portafilter?  I had just cleaned the shower screen and thought that I may have disturbed the gasket, so I put my blind basket in and, everything was fine?  I put the double basket in and water was coming out of the top of the portafilter.  Grabbed some beans and ground and tamped and pulled a shot.  No leaks????  Put the gauge back on the PF and leaks?  Would not give a pressure reading.  The double basket was in place when I put the PF on.  Any thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 8:04am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic Pressure test issues?

With the pressure gauge in place, you need a seal between the basket and the PF as well as between the basket and the gasket - normally the pressure is contained by the coffee grounds and the basket, but with no grounds, the PF body is the part that has to be sealed to the group and that has to hold the pressure.  The PF may have cut outs in the edge under the basket lip, or there could just not be a good seal there.  If there's no cutout, try cleaning the inside of the basket lip and putting some teflon tape on the PF edge.  Otherwise, you'd be best to do the test without the basket in place if you can get a good seal that way.

Also, the blind pressure (i.e. when the PF is terminated by the gauge) will be higher by at least a bar (and possibly more) when brewing a shot.  This could be enough to cause the leak between the basket and the gasket that doesn't appear normally.
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 8:37am

Agreed with above poster. You should remove the basket and test just the portafilter. It should read 10 bars.

Don't know what youre talking about not finding any posts with the issue because it's a commonly documented process.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 9:32am

Agree, no basket.  The leak is between the basket and PF.  Of course the PF without the basket will rotate farther around to lock and may not seal as easily as the basket, different lip shape.  10 - 10.5 bar static and that will be about 9 bar in use.  You can add a valve to the PF gauge plumbing and set the leak to about simulate your brew rate and set to 9 bar.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
toyman

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 6:40pm

brianl Said:

Don't know what youre talking about not finding any posts with the issue because it's a commonly documented process.

Posted April 25, 2013 link

Let me explain, I searched specifically for a leaking portafilter while pressure testing and found no posts that specifically addressed my situation. I did however find info on the yahoo board that specified that the basket needed removed. I hope that is more understandable?

To everyone else thank you for the feedback.  I got the pressure gauge connected and reading appropriately. You definitely don't want the basket in place and you need to make sure the PF is tight. From many searches, I also found that a lot of posters recommend adjusting the OPV 270* CC will get you close. My unit was close to 16 bar before adjustment. I made the 270* adjustment and it was at a solid 10.5 bar. Not saying that it will work for all but it was pretty accurate for my unit.   Thanks again!
D4F

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 8:22pm

Good to hear that it all worked.  Have you done the Silvia V1 wand yet?  The OPV is a great mod for brew and makes the Classic much easier to use.  Silvia wand is similarly helpful for steam.  And then PID.....

D4F also at
toyman

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 3:53am

I have not done the wand upgrade yet.  I'm kicking around it and PID, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Getting ready to pull a few shots with the lower pressure and hoping for great results!  

Got the grind dialed in and a big step forward. No sourness at all. I have fresh roasted dark espresso and it is strong. Not bitter, strong. The difference in flavor is amazing.
D4F

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 8:49am

toyman Said:

I have fresh roasted dark espresso and it is strong. Not bitter, strong. The difference in flavor is amazing.

Posted April 26, 2013 link

Dark meaning roast, what beans are you using?

D4F also at
toyman

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 6:40pm

Yes, very dark roast. It's a local roast from the Strip District in Pittsburgh, if your familiar.
D4F

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 8:11pm

You have made your machine easier to use.  Not wanting to overstep the thread, but you may want to try something like Redbird Espresso or Redbird Blue Jaguar.  Easy to obtain by USPS and easy to brew.  Fairly known and consistent, and often recommended on CG.  I use both.

D4F also at
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.389488935471)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+