Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Commercial machine for a small coffee shop.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Commercial...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
guavis

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 9:26am
Subject: Commercial machine for a small coffee shop.

Hi everyone, i'm a newbie and i need some help. Im going to open a small coffee shop, i didn't have experience with espresso machines, grinders, etc., but i start reading a lot of books, watching videos, grinding and making espressos and now i can make a nice cup of cappuccino :)(latte art it's not for me right now haha), the people i hired got experience because they worked in another coffee shops. I got a delonghi ec702 but obviously i need something better for 150 cup per day... for now cause im starting. Which commercial machine should i buy?? With 1-2 groups? Thank you very much!
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 9:39am
Subject: Re: Commercial machine for a small coffee shop.

Get what you can get serviced in your area.  Some roasters will help you out with equipment if you get their beans.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gvegastiger

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 10:15am

Estimate how many drinks per day you will be selling.  Then determine how much your costs will be per drink.  Then add in overhead and figure out your profit per drink.  That will give your your payback on your investment for the machine.  Then you can make a judgement based on how long you want that payback to be in drinks.
guavis

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 10:19am

Thanks, i read that i can have the best machine but if the grinder doesn't work well i won't have a nice shot. Roasters near me... i guess i forgot to mention that im from Ensenada, Mexico so i can buy from some roasters in veracruz, chiapas, etc (here in mexico but too far) or go to san diego(more easy for me) like 2-3 hours away, but i don't know which one could be the best for my needs, i read about bird rock coffee but i don't know :(
bodkacoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: US Roaster 5k
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 10:22am

The closest coffee shop to me has a Faema Smart. I really can't give you any recommendations though.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 11:04am

While I appreciate your desire to open your own shop, with the very limited amount of experience you currently have, it's almost doomed to failure. My suggestion would be to go get a job working in somebody else's shop for a while, paying careful attention to how the business works while you're refining the art and craft of being a barista. Do that, and you'll know the answers to your questions and be much more ready to open and run a successful shop of your own.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 1:27pm

gvegastiger Said:

Estimate how many drinks per day you will be selling.  Then determine how much your costs will be per drink.  Then add in overhead and figure out your profit per drink.  That will give your your payback on your investment for the machine.  Then you can make a judgement based on how long you want that payback to be in drinks.

Posted May 1, 2013 link

+1  I have a 2 group with a 6L boiler.  Compared to other machines it will handle 200 espressos per hour.  My machine tho is a VFA machine which is out of date and is no longer made.

New I would go with a Rancilio Epoca S2 Group    According to the site it can handle 240 espressos per hour.  Rancilio is a good brand name and $5,000 for a 2 group commercial machine is a good price.

Sorry I didn't see that you were looking at only making 120 drinks a day.  A 1 group like this will do the trick. Click.

For some more info on how to run a small shop read this. It has all the info you will need.
Click
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
guavis

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 2:37pm

GVDub Said:

While I appreciate your desire to open your own shop, with the very limited amount of experience you currently have, it's almost doomed to failure. My suggestion would be to go get a job working in somebody else's shop for a while, paying careful attention to how the business works while you're refining the art and craft of being a barista. Do that, and you'll know the answers to your questions and be much more ready to open and run a successful shop of your own.

Posted May 1, 2013 link

Thank you, i appreciate your advice but i've the place (3 months so far), the bar, the staff (with 3-4 years of experience, coffee, tables, chairs, suppliers, equipment, etc.) I know i have no experience with coffee, but i learn fast, and my staff know about the business. Here, it's a little different, people go to a coffee shop because they like the place, not the coffee and that's sad, the regular coffee it's always burnt, or tastes weird, the same thing with cappuccinos, lattes, etc. There are other cafes owners who do not have much knowledge and yet people visit them because they're pretty and nice. You use pour drip, french press, siphon coffee, etc. we're not used to that (i'll have it at the coffee shop). I want to do things right: a fresh cup of joe anytime, a pretty place and delicious desserts. Maybe I expect too much, but it's a good project (at least here): freshly ground coffee with baklava, tiramisu, cheesecake, brownies, etc. That's why i asked for help :), maybe you can't understand me, but it's annoying not have a really good place for coffee in your town.
guavis

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 2:47pm

Burner0000 Said:

+1  I have a 2 group with a 6L boiler.  Compared to other machines it will handle 200 espressos per hour.  My machine tho is a VFA machine which is out of date and is no longer made.

New I would go with a Rancilio Epoca S2 Group    According to the site it can handle 240 espressos per hour.  Rancilio is a good brand name and $5,000 for a 2 group commercial machine is a good price.

Sorry I didn't see that you were looking at only making 120 drinks a day.  A 1 group like this will do the trick. Click.

For some more info on how to run a small shop read this. It has all the info you will need.
Click

Posted May 1, 2013 link

Thank you!, i'll check it!
biochemgawd

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 4:06pm

guavis Said:

Thanks, i read that i can have the best machine but if the grinder doesn't work well i won't have a nice shot. Roasters near me... i guess i forgot to mention that im from Ensenada, Mexico so i can buy from some roasters in veracruz, chiapas, etc (here in mexico but too far) or go to san diego(more easy for me) like 2-3 hours away, but i don't know which one could be the best for my needs, i read about bird rock coffee but i don't know :(

Posted May 1, 2013 link

Bird Rock in San Diego is pretty good, but that is a long way to travel to get beans. You really only want to have 1-2 weeks worth at a time. If shipping from the US is an option, then you have many potential choices.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Commercial...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.482246160507)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+