Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 100 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 6:29pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Okay...
Instead of using the brew lever to make it come back to life, tomorrow morning when it stops at too low a temp, just thump it a couple of times, doesn't have to be hard. If the vibration of your pump is enough to get the relay to make contact, a little thump should do the trick.

If this works, plan to be replacing the relay soon.
 View Profile Link to this post
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:48pm

SStones Said:

Okay...
Instead of using the brew lever to make it come back to life, tomorrow morning when it stops at too low a temp, just thump it a couple of times, doesn't have to be hard. If the vibration of your pump is enough to get the relay to make contact, a little thump should do the trick.

If this works, plan to be replacing the relay soon.

Posted April 30, 2013 link

I'll be dammed.   That did it.

Turned the machine on tonight,  stalled at 140 F,  gave it a couple thumps on the side,  and the temp started climbing again.   Stopped again around 180 F,  another few taps,  and up again it went.  

Looks like it is the relay.   Only thing is,  which part is it i need to replace?   Is it on the diagram Sly posted?

Thanks so much for the help!
SStones
SStones

Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 4:18am

Tiny green circuit board with 4 wires connected to it, a small resistor and a plastic box with electrical contacts inside.  It will either be riding on your Pressostat if your machine is many years old, or it will be inside the left wall of the machine, mounted to the frame.
Now that it is dying, consider replacing it with a much better, solid-state relay once, rather than having to replace it with its own kin every year.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 5:56am

That is one of the beautiful aspects of machines that are mainstream they can be diagnosed and repaired when needed.Excellent job SStone.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
888RP

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 5:59am

Mdiddy - if you decide to do this and have the time i'd really appreciate it if you took pics of the install... i'd like to replace the relay with a solid state on my machine but have no idea how to do it... to be honest i don't know what type of relay i'm even looking for. is this it: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10636

thanks!
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 6:23am

Photo of relay location. It is the entire unit the arrow points to. You disconnect the three connections, pull the board and reconnect the new one. You only need to remove the one machine side panel (the one with the on/off switch).

slybarman: relay.jpg
(Click for larger image)
pfn

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 6:27am

888RP Said:

Mdiddy - if you decide to do this and have the time i'd really appreciate it if you took pics of the install... i'd like to replace the relay with a solid state on my machine but have no idea how to do it... to be honest i don't know what type of relay i'm even looking for. is this it: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10636

thanks!

Posted May 1, 2013 link

Biggest problem with solid state relays is that they switch off of DC voltage, so you'd need a rectifier to convert AC in the machine into DC; my EE know-how isn't good enough to make a decent solution. That part in particular isn't rated high enough to run in an espresso machine, it should have a minimum current rating of 15A.
SStones
SStones

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 6:50pm

That:   https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10636
is not the right thing. Sorry.

You'd need to get a bigger relay to be sure it will be reliable. No sense in installing another that will need replacing every few years. You can get a decent Omron one that is designed to operate on the 120VAC that your machine is already providing through the pressostat...
If I can find pictures of an install and a  part number I will post further after the weekend.
888RP

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 7:18pm

thanks slybar/Stones.

pics/install would be super helpful!

thanks again for taking the time to help out -- much appreciated
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 7:40pm

SStones Said:

That:   https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10636
is not the right thing. Sorry.

You'd need to get a bigger relay to be sure it will be reliable. No sense in installing another that will need replacing every few years. You can get a decent Omron one that is designed to operate on the 120VAC that your machine is already providing through the pressostat...
If I can find pictures of an install and a  part number I will post further after the weekend.

Posted May 2, 2013 link

That'd be awesome.

Jim is sending our a replacement for my faulty one but I would love to replace it with something more reliable down the line if it's not too complicated.
showing page 100 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.413942813873)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+