Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Machine like super autos for a simple coffee drinker?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine like...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jmwillhite

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 12:38pm
Subject: Machine like super autos for a simple coffee drinker?

I want a machine for coffee like the espresso super autos.  I want to pour in beans, fill with water, and press a button every time I want a fresh cup of coffee.  I don't know the difference in a good cup of espresso but I do have an opinion on a good cup of coffee.  I like it fresh and strong.  If it has sat on the pot for more than about 15 minutes, forget it.  I don't want it.  Too much water, not worth drinking.  And I don't want the expense of pods.  

Is there such a beast?  Any suggestions?

To answer the questions:

1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  Just coffee

2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time? 4-5 a day, all at different times of the day, just a cup at a time

3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  No more than 40

4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pour over machine with its own reservoir?  Don't want to have to plumb.  Just a water reservoir would do.

5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?  Standard circuit.

6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?    $500 for a machine.  Don't want to mess with a grinder.

Thank you!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
kschendel

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 1:17pm
Subject: Re: Machine like super autos for a simple coffee drinker?

The Capresso grind-and-brew machines are OK for drip coffee.  I used to own an earlier version and while not spectacular, the grinder was OK and the brew temp not too much lower than it should have been.  (The main problem with that version was a too-long grind path which meant that the first pot of the morning was partly stale grounds;  I don't know if the recent versions fix that.)  There are other grind-and-brew machines of varying reputation but I have no experience with any of them.

If you aren't doing milk drinks and really want one cup at a time, I'd suggest looking for a low end super-auto.  As a very general rule of thumb, higher prices in the super-auto world seem to translate more to fancier milk features than better brew features.  Feed it good beans, not stale or over-roasted crap, and you should be able get acceptable coffee out of the cheaper machines.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 1:54pm

For drip machine with built in grinder, Breville Youbrew hands down. Neighbor has one.
jmwillhite

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 2:50pm

I don't really want a drip unless it only makes a cup at a time.  Seems like the big pots don't do one cup very well.
tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 3:16pm

CMIN Said:

For drip machine with built in grinder, Breville Youbrew hands down. Neighbor has one.

Posted May 7, 2013 link

Agreed. We have one. It can grind & brew one cup at a time.  It will steep the grinds for a bit to get a more full-bodied cup when brewing smaller amounts.
jmwillhite

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 3:41pm

Thanks a lot!  Will look into it.
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 3:42pm

The Breville Youbrew is what you want.  It is specifically designed to do one cup at a time or larger pots (if you have guests).
jmwillhite

Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 6:29am

Ok, I bought one, a Breville YouBrew.  Here's my question to anyone who has one.  I don't have beans at home this morning so I used the preground that I had.  I have been using a little Black & Decker Brew & Go, putting a paper filter in, 1.5 scoops of coffee and I get a great cup of strong coffee.  With the YouBrew I had to put 3 scoops of coffee in on the smallest cup setting to get good coffee.  2 scoops left me with watery tasting coffee.  What's up with that?  Is this machine going to be beat out by a 100 year old little Black & Decker one cup maker?!

The reviews are so mixed on this machine.  Please give me some advice and tell me why I should keep this machine.  I will mostly be brewing one cup, occasionally a pot.  But, of course, I don't want to have to double my coffee usage.  I want simplicity.  I'm still wondering if a super auto with coffee beans is a better route...

Would really love any thoughts and/or advice.  Thank you!
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 8:06am

jmwillhite Said:

Ok, I bought one, a Breville YouBrew.  Here's my question to anyone who has one.  I don't have beans at home this morning so I used the preground that I had.  I have been using a little Black & Decker Brew & Go, putting a paper filter in, 1.5 scoops of coffee and I get a great cup of strong coffee.  With the YouBrew I had to put 3 scoops of coffee in on the smallest cup setting to get good coffee.  2 scoops left me with watery tasting coffee.  What's up with that?  Is this machine going to be beat out by a 100 year old little Black & Decker one cup maker?!

The reviews are so mixed on this machine.  Please give me some advice and tell me why I should keep this machine.  I will mostly be brewing one cup, occasionally a pot.  But, of course, I don't want to have to double my coffee usage.  I want simplicity.  I'm still wondering if a super auto with coffee beans is a better route...

Would really love any thoughts and/or advice.  Thank you!

Posted May 9, 2013 link

Not sure as far as dosing/settings as it's my neighbors and their away right now, click darkows screen name above and msg/email them and ask maybe. I've only used it with fresh roasted beans as I got them into coffee and ordering haha. I can say it brews an awesome cup, waaaaaay better then a Black & Decker which I used to have lol.

I wouldn't put to much thought into reviews especially on Amazon and other places, most of the general population (not us on here lol) has no clue how to work or use any of these machines correctly. Heck someone gave my CC1 a scathing review b/c they couldn't get it to work right.... they were using a grinder barely acceptable for drip coffee, didn't know how to dose, or tamp, or steam milk, or anything basically.... and blamed the machine lol.
jmwillhite

Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 11:22am
Subject: Breville YouBrew simply not hot enough

The verdict is in.  The Breville YouBrew simply does not brew hot enough.  I cannot seem to get it to get coffee hotter than 160-170.  I have checked the temp in the filter basket, preheated the cup, and everything else under the sun.  I called Breville and they were very helpful, but still it does not brew hot enough.  One time I got hot coffee, and that was when I poured boiling water in the carafe and let it sit for awhile before brewing.  Then the coffee was 180.  Well, I'm not going to do that every morning.  This morning I preheated the carafe with hot tap water for a few minutes, then brewed a whole pot.  My husband's first comment after drinking some was "it's not very hot".  Whew!  This is exhausting.  I cannot understand why Breville would not make a coffee maker that does not put out water at 190.  What's so hard about that?  They actually advertise on the paperwork that it comes out at 190-203, but it doesn't.  I asked the Breville rep if my maker was defective and they said no.  

Well, back to my leaky Bunn, which puts out 190 water, or my little old B&D one cup, which puts out water at 185.

Breville, I'm sad, but I'm taking you back.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine like...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.43035697937)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+