Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 213 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
OttoMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 8:23am
Subject: Re: pressure readings

carz07 Said:

same for both, only different is that the other single and the other is dual

what do you mean by "lip"

Posted May 14, 2013 link

The top edge of the basket itself, the part that would make contact with the seal of the machine.  If these were different between baskets, I could see how one could leak, but not the other.  I'd expect you to see some dripping from the top of the PF in that case.

Does your dual wall basket have just a single hole in the bottom of it.  And, when I say "bottom" I mean the part where the coffee grounds actually sit and touch, not the part where the brewed espresso comes out.  The ones I've seen in the past had many holes where the coffee sits, but only one where the espresso comes out.  In that case, I wouldn't necessarily think that you'd get a better seal than with a single-wall basket.  However, if you did only have one hole in the bottom where the coffee grounds sit, I could see that it's possible to get a better seal with the dual wall basket.

So, if that hypothesis were correct, all it means is that you're not getting a good seal with the blank in the single wall basket.  In that case, I would expect that you would see water dripping out because of it (or, less likely, air).
 View Profile Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 8:25am

JMFishtown Said:

If the blank is getting a good seal then it would not matter; It's just easier to get a good seal with the blank using a dual wall basket since there is less surface area the blank needs to cover.

There really are only so many places it can go wrong; I'd run 5 back flushes with the blind in the dual wall single basket and hold them for 10ish seconds and watch the pressure. If it hits 9.5 Bar or 10 Bar and stays steady I don't think there's anything wrong with the pump or OPV

Also listen when pulling a shot do you hear water from the 3 way valve coming into the drip tray?

Posted May 14, 2013 link

for dual wall i dont have a problem letting the bar stay at 9.5 but with the single wall it drops to 8 and stays

after i turn off the shot i hear the water coming out

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
carz07
carz07

Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 9:01am

OttoMatic Said:

The top edge of the basket itself, the part that would make contact with the seal of the machine.  If these were different between baskets, I could see how one could leak, but not the other.  I'd expect you to see some dripping from the top of the PF in that case.

Does your dual wall basket have just a single hole in the bottom of it.  And, when I say "bottom" I mean the part where the coffee grounds actually sit and touch, not the part where the brewed espresso comes out.  The ones I've seen in the past had many holes where the coffee sits, but only one where the espresso comes out.  In that case, I wouldn't necessarily think that you'd get a better seal than with a single-wall basket.  However, if you did only have one hole in the bottom where the coffee grounds sit, I could see that it's possible to get a better seal with the dual wall basket.

So, if that hypothesis were correct, all it means is that you're not getting a good seal with the blank in the single wall basket.  In that case, I would expect that you would see water dripping out because of it (or, less likely, air).

Posted May 14, 2013 link

there are no dents on the lips and no water squirts or drips from the side of the pf;s top

the dual wall basket has this like little holes but if you raise it up over the light you can see that there is only 1 hole. I dont have a problem with dual wall hitting the 9.5, its the single wall that im concern 9.5 then drops and stays at 8

hmmm but i dont get water coming out from the pf og brew head, i cant tell if air is leaking out from the pf head, is there are way?

biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 11:08am

carz07 Said:

there are no dents on the lips and no water squirts or drips from the side of the pf;s top

the dual wall basket has this like little holes but if you raise it up over the light you can see that there is only 1 hole. I dont have a problem with dual wall hitting the 9.5, its the single wall that im concern 9.5 then drops and stays at 8

hmmm but i dont get water coming out from the pf og brew head, i cant tell if air is leaking out from the pf head, is there are way?

Posted May 14, 2013 link

Can you choke the machine by using finely ground espresso in the single wall double basket?
carz07
carz07

Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 11:26am

biochemgawd Said:

Can you choke the machine by using finely ground espresso in the single wall double basket?

Posted May 14, 2013 link

yup i can choke, tested with fine grinds and also overdose

biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 11:33am

carz07 Said:

yup i can choke, tested with fine grinds and also overdose

Posted May 14, 2013 link

What is the pressure reading during this time?
LatteDude
LatteDude

Espresso: BES900XL/B (BDB)
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 12:20pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

BubbaDude Said:

You've discovered the other reason for a heavier puck, they don't stick. At 18g you'll get a lot of stuck pucks. 19g pucks never stick.

Posted December 5, 2012 link

How are you fitting 19g in the double basket?  I feel like I'm mounded over when dosing 15g and then probably get down to 14g once I level off before tamp.  Of course my pucks are sticking, but the taste is good and a quick hit of the Manual button drops the dry puck right info the PF without much water, but I'm still interested in your procedure.  

Here is mine: I use a yogurt cup with the bottom removed which rests in the PF when I dose the grounds from the Vario-W basket into the PF.  I then break up any clumps and give the PF a few knocks to ensure even distribution.  I then carefully remove the yogurt cup and level off the mounded grounds into a container or knockbox.  I then tamp, clean off any grounds from the PF basket's lip and pull the shot.
epengr
epengr
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 12:53pm

BubbaDude Said:

Your questions have been asked and answered on this thread previously, do some reading.

Posted April 14, 2013 link

I too have this question, and I appreciate that answering it repeated is annoying, but the answer is last 212 pages of chat.  I have a job, and it's sadly not making coffee.

Is there, or has any thought been given, to a BDB FAQ / Newb guide?
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 1:40pm

There's not a section that I know of for FAQ, and trying a search here or at coffee snobs is not easy. Fortunately they're discussing the number where an OPV kicks in right now. It seems 9.5 is pretty popular. There's some wiggle room between 8 and 10 for extraction, but the espresso gods say 9bar is perfect, so it's up to you to pick a number. My machines are at 9.5-ish, if that helps.

I agree that a FAQ somewhere would be helpful, but that should be on Breville's site.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 1:53pm

epengr Said:

I have a job, and it's sadly not making coffee.

Posted May 14, 2013 link

Likewise.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
showing page 213 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.538994073868)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+