Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Mypressi Depressurization?
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Mypressi...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
lilprof87

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 4:28am
Subject: Mypressi Depressurization?

Hey all!

I've been looking around a little bit on the internet and can't find an answer to my question. Please help!

If I don't need to use all 4 shots, for whatever reason, and need to manually depressurize the Mypressi what would be the best way to go about doing this? I feel like I will break the Mypressi or freeze o-rings if I just open the back end of the mypressi and let the remaining N2O gush out.  Is there a safe way to shoot water through the system to use up the remaining N2O, a pressure release valve, or do you simply just unscrew the back end and let it all rush out?

Also, I noticed Mypressi is sold out of the machines on their site. Any speculation on what that means? Shipping issues, product issues, new version, etc? I wanted to get one for my dad as a gift. Looks like I will have to wait!

On a side note, I love the mypressi and I will add my recommendation to the very long list of satisfied customers.  I am an experienced barista and the shots that the Mypressi makes are unbelievable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Olympia Maxima,...
Grinder: Compak K-10 WBC, Gaggia MDF
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Nondescript popper
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 8:29am
Subject: Re: Mypressi Depressurization?

Dear Lilpro,

Why can't you just leave the gas cartridge alone in the handle?  Mine have never lost gas during the occasional weeks of disuse (lately I have used it daily for the last year).

If there is a lot of gas remaining in the cartridge, unscrewing the back of the handle is not a good idea.  The full discharge of gas from an unregulated cartridge can produce a temperature drop of the cartridge metal, enough to cause mild frostbite.  There is also a risk that the cartridge will take off like a jet and fly through your kitchen.  We used to do this on purpose as kids until one flew into my parents' living room picture window.  Just pull the trigger and let it evacuate through the supply hole and remove the cartridge with a towel.  The silicone o-ring won't care.  If you are worried about losing the o-ring, just evacuate through the empty water reservoir in place.  No need to fill it.  If the cartridge is half-used, the handle back can be taken off rather safely.

To asses the level of gas in the cartridge, just weight the unassembled handle with the cartridge in it (and end screwed on).  Just make sure the handle is dry.  A handle with full cartridge should weight about 513 grams while one that is empty should weigh about 506.5 grams.  Weigh your handle both full and with empty cartridge in place to determine your own data.  This should come in handy if you forget how many times you have used the cartridge.

By the way, I find that cartridges vary in quality.  The best seem to be Ultra-Purewhip.  The best deal seems to be to buy cheaper ones (not U-P) at auction in lots of 200-300 and accept the occasional 'one-dose dud'.  Don't blame Mypressi for that.

If you want to know about the availability of MYpressi, just write to them!  They are good about answering their e-mail, especially now that all of the coffee conventions are over.

Buckley
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Mypressi...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316940069199)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+