Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Old NS Oscar descaling
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Old NS Oscar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, '84 La Pavoni Pro,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario, La Pavoni PGC
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 12:13am
Subject: Old NS Oscar descaling

I just purchased an old Oscar that seems functional.  "Looks" clean on the outside and inside, but obviously not cared for properly.  Not sure what year it's from, because as usual there is no date recorded on the serial number plate.  I can see that the date on the CEME pstat is 2003/05, so it's likely from after that.

Owner couldn't get it to put out espresso he liked.  It always has an alarm on the water level until it heats up.  He was just never happy with it after a year or messing around, so I got it + 6 Illy IPA cappuccino cups & saucer + 6 Illy IPA espresso cups & saucer for $265.

It was heated up when I purchased, showed good steam at the wand and hot water out the brewhead.  At that price I was happy.  Removing the top at home it looks pretty clean.  No signs of rust yet either, although I have seen some dripping under the machine.  The portafilter is well worn - so it's had some use I think.

I don't have a blind filter, so I corked up the portafilter and ran a few backflushes - nothing surged on the back flush for the first few cycles.  Eventually I'm getting some backflush through.  It was completely plugged I guess. So I'll have to clean, and possibly dismantle the entire group to see how bad that is.

Mixed up a little citric acid solution and put it into the reservoir to flush the HX brewhead.  That started coming out like a beautiful sapphire blue!  Not what I wanted to see, but it's inline with the rest of the neglect.  I've been descaling the HX side for a while, and blue is getting thinner.  So hopefully the end is near.

I'm hoping that the descale might also help the water reservoir sensor, but it sounds like there may be a deeper problem as the previous owner reported shorting the sensor wires didn't help either.

Lastly, I'm thinking about descaling the boiler.  I saw a youtube video where the boiler was filled, heated, and drained on it's side repeatedly until the water was clear.  Anybody else out there give this a try?  Looks like it would be easy enough.

Eventually this will get a full teardown, but not right now.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 2:16pm
Subject: Re: Old NS Oscar descaling

The water to the HX system comes from the same tank as the water to the boiler. If the water level sensor pumped water into the boiler to refill it while the soultion was in the supply tank, you have soultion in the boiler.

There is a drain plug on the left rear of the boiler when standing in the operator position. You can remove the plug but it is a little messy as the plug is inside the case.

You could also just flush water from the steam wand like you would do to get hot water from the machine. No it is not a "documented" method but I seem to remember doing it but then again, that was a long time ago.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, '84 La Pavoni Pro,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario, La Pavoni PGC
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 2:28pm
Subject: Re: Old NS Oscar descaling

Yeah, I started working with the HX side only with the solenoid for the boiler disconnected so no solution would enter there.

After seeing the "beautiful blue" rinse from the HX I decided that it was important that I tackle the steam boiler too.  Right now it's full of a mild citric acid wash, and on the 3rd round.  Still getting a little blue, so it will be a while before I get it all cleaned out.  I've been using the method where you heat it up with the descaler in the tank.  Disconnect all power, flip it onto it's steam wand side, and use the steam wand to drain the boiler.  Seems to be working quite well so far.

In the meantime I'm noticing my Gicar controller has some issues noticing the level in the reservoir.  Even jumpering the sensor connection on the controller doesn't work, so I'll have to send that out for service eventually if I can't trace the fault or don't want to mess with it.

Luckily there isn't a spot of rust at all on the frame.  I've had it apart enough to clean all the dirt and debris.  Also have some drain tubes that were misplaced put back in the proper spots.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Old NS Oscar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323999881744)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+