Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Izzo Alex II HX on Sale or Mini Vivaldi II?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Izzo Alex II HX...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 8:11am
Subject: Re: Izzo Alex II HX on Sale or Mini Vivaldi II?

If i was buying a Vivaldi Mini i would add the preinfusion chamber. The mini uses a dedicated timer not your typical timer you can purchase at hardware stores.

Several vendors sell the Silvano and Vario, my experience is that some vendors more then others will discount the equipment if you call and ask. Others offer gift certificates but not discount the machines, some vendors will not discount but will offer you a startup gift of cups, tamper etc.

Also look at service after the sale, the vendors return policy in case your not happy with your purchase, some charge a restocking fee and reimbursement of the cost to ship you the equip and you have to pay shipping back, this can add up. Some do not charge a restocking fee but you still pay the shipping back and their cost to ship the items to you.

If i was buying i would consider: Chris Coffee service, Clives Coffee, Stefano espresso care.
 View Profile Link to this post
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 8:28am

I looked at Stefano's and the Vibiemme machines.  Those look nice!

Would I have to add the timer to the Mini Vivaldi if I prefer to turn the machine on and off by hand?  I realize that it is going to take some time to come up to temperature and would
need to be turned on a while before I expect to be able to brew.

I had been looking at Chris Coffee Service and Clives Coffee but hadn't known about Stefano's.

Thanks for mentioning that.
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 8:39am

Machines need 45min to an hour to become thermally stable. The boiler will com to temp in a few minutes but then that needs to warm the group and plumbing to stable temps. You can hands on while the machine warms up by flushing water through the group, I have had acceptable shots in 20 minutes of warm up by doing this.
JaniceAnn

Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 10:08am

You own my dream machine, the Duetto III.

So I can speed up the warm up of the whole works by flushing water through the group?  Do you do this more than once as the boiler is heating up?

Could you do the same thing on an HX machine?  

I hate to ask dumb questions, but I really know so little about the nuances of espresso machines.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 10:27am

JaniceAnn Said:

You own my dream machine, the Duetto III.

So I can speed up the warm up of the whole works by flushing water through the group?  Do you do this more than once as the boiler is heating up?

Could you do the same thing on an HX machine?  

I hate to ask dumb questions, but I really know so little about the nuances of espresso machines.

Posted May 20, 2013 link

The idea is to get the hot water to heat the group, plumbing, and PF up to a temp so it is not robbing heat from the brew water when making a shot.  This will work on any machine, how much flushing is more then once, maybe 10 times, in the end is it is no where near as good as just letting the machine warm up on its own.

The Duetto 3 is not far out of your price range, I like it very much, this is where a phone call to a vendor can answer what you will really pay for it. I still use it on the tank, not the easiest reservoir to fill when under cabs but a beer bong funnel makes it easier and the machine does not need to be moved using one.
JaniceAnn

Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 11:22am

I am going to be out in my garden for a while, but I did want to ask if it might be better, and if it is possible, to talk directly with Chris?  Might it be better to have my husband talk
with him as i think sometimes men are better at negotiating?

I don't know that Chris would be able to come down to $2000 as that seems quite a large discount, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 11:30am

Just found out a local roaster will be getting the Nuova Simonelli Machines in! First retailer on long island to sell espresso machines! I will be able to demo it in 2 weeks.

You can call CCS and ask to talk to chris....You can also email him...
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 11:45am

I've never spoken to Chris, but I have exchanged email with him.  Like you say...it doesn't hurt to ask.  I wouldn't ever imagine that it would upset him.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
cafeespresso

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: FR 8+, SC/Turbo CO
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 6:55pm

My vote is for the Vivaldi. I really like the Mini Vivaldi. I think they are built solid and get a great following with a lot of satisfied customers. I doubt coffee would be worse or better on any of the choices you are considering.

If you really like the Alex III, I would go for it. These machines can last 10-15 years easy, you want to make sure you get what you want. What is the difference in price split between say 6-7 years?

You can always upgrade the grinder next year or buy something used to hold you over for a few months. Also that would give you time to research. Picking a machine and a grinder at the same time are two big decisions (IMHO).

Those are my 2c
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 3:58am

hello again, do take some time out in your garden get away from the internet and get away from the discussion board. Do some soul searching think about what it is you really want and what features you really need. Until you have come to a comfortable place with what it is you desire , you're going to be overwhelmed with all of the choices.

The truth is any machine in this price range is going to be more then you would ever need to upgrade from for a very long time. They all will make quality espresso with a good Grinder.

Like I said before, take a deep breath wonder around your garden, look at the flowers, and think about where you want to go from here. You can confuse yourself to no end with all the options, vibrating pumps or rotary pump, single boiler mishine dual boiler machine heat exchanger machine, stainless steel, and on and on and on.

Like I said make a list of your most desired features, then shop to that list and your price point like I said again, any machine you're looking at is a quality machine and it's all about personal preference it this point. You're not going to be finding a perfect machine, they don't exist.

Good luck in your search and I do wish you well,.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 9 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Izzo Alex II HX...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.413875102997)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+