Espresso: Espresso Machines
Please don't laugh!
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please don't...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
pmaru77

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: KRUPS 4 cup (Melitta #2)
Roaster: Behmor Roaster
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 3:29pm
Subject: Please don't laugh!

My wife wanted me to get a new drip machine because my Krups (4 cupper) was gettin' ugly.  I picked up a Mr Coffee cheap and used it today, and it's in the garage for good, until next garage sale.  What a crappy cup it made.

So I'm fixing to get me a machine to at least make a good cup of java and once in awhile espresso.  My usage is 3 cups a day and I need to make single cups, not pots.  

My first and last glance brings me to looking at the Gaggia Baby or the Classic.  I've researched before and these seem ok for my needs. But what is the major difference between the two?  All I need to do is make a good cup of coffee 3 or 4 times a day.

I do have a halfway decent grinder, Maestro Plus, and a Boehmer Roaster and a good supply of greenies.  I know the Plus is not the best for espresso, but espresso is not my objective, but a once in a while shot..here and there.  I can experiment with the grinder and espresso making in my spare time.

Looking for a good latte and a reasonable shot.    Gagga Baby or Classic?   I know there are other things out there, but trying to not make too much of a analysis study here.

Anyone want to give it a shot!?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 3:48pm
Subject: Re: Please don't laugh!

Classic is the better machine.  The Baby does not have adjustable OPV, at not easily adjustable if at all, and has more plastic. Both have 3 Way, but you probably knew that from search/research.  The note on this page also got my attention about leaks and repair on Baby.

http://www.partsguru.com/GaggiaBabyClassandTwinBaby.html

You will have trouble with espresso without a better grinder, the least expensive I believe is Baratza Preciso refurb for $239 and about $10 - $15 shipping.  See Baratza.com, refurb, with starting availability Thursday am's until sold out.

The grinder is an issue even with

pmaru77 Said:

I know the Plus is not the best for espresso, but espresso is not my objective, but a once in a while shot..here and there.  I can experiment with the grinder and espresso making in my spare time.

Looking for a good latte and a reasonable shot.    Gagga Baby or Classic?   I know there are other things out there, but trying to not make too much of a analysis study here.

Posted May 22, 2013 link

You are willing to buy an espresso machine and not a grinder....  You may not get your good shot, and there, I gave it a shot  :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 4:21pm

I'm trying to understand exactly what you want.  Do you want regular coffee and espresso occasionally?  Or do you want espresso drinks (latte, americano) and straight espresso shots occasionally?  Neither of the two Gaggia machines make brewed coffee (as in drip style coffee), they only make espresso.  If you only want espresso and espresso drinks the Classic will be much better but as a previous post said you really won't get an ok shot with your grinder.  Technically Baratza replaced that grinder with the Encore so you could grind fine enough for espresso.  Really the Preciso is the bottom I would recommend for espresso.  If you want regular coffee then you will need either a drip machine (I recommend the Behmor Brazen) or better yet brew via a manual brew method.  Your grinder should be great for most manual brew methods or a drip machine.
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3,...
Grinder: baratza vario, Hario...
Drip: chemex
Roaster: whirly pop
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 6:13pm

Aeropress.

I'm not a fan of the baby or the classic, but I'm an all or nothing kind of gal. Almost any machine under $1000 takes a lot of skillz to pull a "good" shot.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 6:18pm

Agree, theres no point in getting an espresso machine w/o a better grinder, the Maestro is no where near capable for espresso except for maybe a pressurized portafilter except thats not real espresso, just fake crema and taste like an underextracted shot of drip lol.

Preciso is the bare minimum for grinders capable of  grinding correctly and consistently for espresso, along with acting basically stepless so almost infinite adjustment ( hugely important for espresso).

If you want to keep that grinder you could get an Aeropress or even Moka pot for something different yet still great.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 6:05am

Grinder, Grinder, Grinder.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 9:49am

I don't want to discourage you from getting into espresso but if you love your old drip-per start watching eBay and the thrifts for a Melitta  BCM-4.  They are little cheapies but mine faired well against a mighty TV in a brew-off.  You do have to remember to turn it off after brewing or it will burn the coffee. Also the shower is a bit of a pain to clean.  It is no TV but it is cheap and will rival the TV if you learn to deal with its little irritants. Hopefully your wife won't brand it as ugly.  Ugly is in the eye of the beholder and I like mine.

Phil

pmaru77 Said:

My wife wanted me to get a new drip machine because my Krups (4 cupper) was gettin' ugly.  I picked up a Mr Coffee cheap and used it today, and it's in the garage for good, until next garage sale.  What a crappy cup it made.

So I'm fixing to get me a machine to at least make a good cup of java and once in awhile espresso.  My usage is 3 cups a day and I need to make single cups, not pots.  

My first and last glance brings me to looking at the Gaggia Baby or the Classic.  I've researched before and these seem ok for my needs. But what is the major difference between the two?  All I need to do is make a good cup of coffee 3 or 4 times a day.

I do have a halfway decent grinder, Maestro Plus, and a Boehmer Roaster and a good supply of greenies.  I know the Plus is not the best for espresso, but espresso is not my objective, but a once in a while shot..here and there.  I can experiment with the grinder and espresso making in my spare time.

Posted May 22, 2013 link

Philip J. Keleshian
pmaru77

Grinder: Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: KRUPS 4 cup (Melitta #2)
Roaster: Behmor Roaster
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 11:17am

Uhhhh!  I'm getting De ja vu all over again.  I think I beat this to death 3 years ago before I bought my roaster.  I agree the Maestro Plus adjustment sucks as far as fine tuning.  I just canot get over how complicated it si to make espresso.  I'm not an experieced espresso person, in fact, the only e cup I remember being any good was when I was in Brazil.  The e from a local coffee shop is pretty bad usually. I've yet had a good cup of espresso in town.  I guess I'm not ready to commit yet until I know what it takes to satisfy.  I have to find someone/somewhere localvthat can do it right.

Can someone do a list of the most important steps in making the perfect espresso?   And what makes a perfect espresso?  My tastebuds are delicate, as I cannot stand Starbucks americana, and the espresso is not the greatest.

Bean quality, grind, water, temp, pressure, etc.
Intrepid510

Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 11:30am

San Diego is big, but if you can try to make to Bird Rock Coffee. That should give you an idea of what most people here consider good coffee/espresso.

The Maestro, even with it's adjustment steps might not ever get fine enough to make espresso regardless. So you might as well put that one on the back burner.

Get yourself a 2 cup Melitta plastic cone or a Clever Dripper and start from there.

Less water, more grounds.
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 11:35am

I agree that your best bet is an aeropress. Can do single 'cups' and is easy to clean to do back to back 'cups'. You wouldn't even need another grinder.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please don't...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414146900177)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+