Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 218 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JMFishtown
JMFishtown
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Aeropress, Espro Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 6:49pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

The SCG video is helpful in someways but also kind of useless because she's really not being very efficient with her time; just kind of chatting and not really focusing on getting the drinks made.

Just my 2 cents
 View Profile Link to this post
Zevi

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 8:03am

JMFishtown Said:

The SCG video is helpful in someways but also kind of useless because she's really not being very efficient with her time; just kind of chatting and not really focusing on getting the drinks made.

Just my 2 cents

Posted May 25, 2013 link

One may disagree or dislike their "chattiness", but with the question at hand being "How long it takes to make 4 lattes?", I think the video does help. If nothing else, it shows that you don't outrun the machine making these. They maybe not be up to the standards of top-notch baristas, but they are not really wasting time standing idle.
occoffeefan

Grinder: Baratza Vario W, Mazzer Mini...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 2:20pm
Subject: Re: Best Mug I have found (so far) for steaming milk or soy milk  for art

I usually make lattes only for myself.  The Breville 480 ml milk jug  is producing the most foam I have seen for single lattes.  Phil McKnight uses this pitcher in his video. It provides more than enough foam, even with soy milk! You just need to introduce a little air then swirl the vortex you create.  You can find it under espresso parts on the Breville site.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 8:53am
Subject: Water Filter Replacements

Quick question for everyone...

I've seen replacement water filters at Walmart - they're not Breville branded, (Keurig maybe???), but they look identical to the ones shipped with the BDB. Chances are these things are all the same, just boxed in various branded boxes. Has anyone tried using a non Breville branded water filter in their machine, or have you all played it safe by ordering the Breville ones?

Cheers,
Wayne
SupraTT

Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 8:53pm

Got my replacement today - serial now starts with 1228. Made some test shots and it seems the OPV is set to max out at 9bar; my old machine maxed out at 11bar.

Is a 9bar OPV okay? On my old machine I pulled at 9bar, but with this new one, I have to pull at 8 bar now.

Also, anyone know how to empty the water in the boilers before sending the old machine back to Breville? I can hear some water in the steam boiler it seems.

SupraTT Said:

So today my Breville Dual Boiler stopped working - no water is coming out of the group head. Hot water dispenser and steam wand still work fine. Called Breville USA and they told me to ship the unit back to them and they will send me a working one.

Anyone send back a machine to Breville USA? How long does it take to get a replacement? Also, I guess I need to buy a big box to fit the machine in for shipping....

I am actually located in Los Angeles, but know if I can just return it to the headquarters here?

Lasted about 1 year - did about 5 shots a week so about 250 operations before the machine stopped working. I kept the machine cleaned - cleaned it when it flashed "clean me", changed the water filter every 2 months and even did the cleaning procedure shown on Youtube by Phil.

The serial number started with 1149

Posted May 17, 2013 link

JMFishtown
JMFishtown

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 6:33am

SupraTT Said:

Got my replacement today - serial now starts with 1228. Made some test shots and it seems the OPV is set to max out at 9bar; my old machine maxed out at 11bar.

Is a 9bar OPV okay? On my old machine I pulled at 9bar, but with this new one, I have to pull at 8 bar now.

Also, anyone know how to empty the water in the boilers before sending the old machine back to Breville? I can hear some water in the steam boiler it seems.

Posted May 28, 2013 link

Supra,  

Have you pegged it with a blind at it was only hitting 9 bar?  I have a serial 12xx and it maxes out at 10 bar.  I would adjust the opv / get another replacement if your max pressure is 9 bar; the OPV will be interfering with the shot in that situation.  

As to the fully empty the boilers you can't do it; that's the whole reason it can't be user descaled.  Just send it back with a little bit of water in it.  IIRC I sent mine back with full boilers just an empty tank. No problems.
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 8:06am

We have two of these machines - one for the trailer and one for the home.  Both are A models, bought new within the past few months.  Both make good coffee.

One appears newer than the other - the one that I think is newer does not have the plastic insert in the portafilter and it came with a solid blind insert for cleaning.  The "older" one has the plastic insert in the portafilter and the blind insert for cleaning has a hole in it.  

So far neither machine has needed a full cleaning with the cleaning tablet.  But I like to run a water clean cycle about once a week.  The two machines behave quite differently on the clean cycle.

The newer machine, with the solid blind insert in place, goes through the clean cycle alternately building pressure and then releasing the water into the drip tray.  It releases the water pressure completely after each part of the clean cycle.

The older machine does not build pressure when the blind insert with the hole is in place.  So I use the solid blind insert from the newer machine.  Then it builds between 9 and 10 bar pressure during the clean cycle.  But it does not let all the pressure off during the clean cycle, except at the very end of the cycle.  Other than that, the pressure bleeds down just a little (to about 7 bar) each time after the pump stops.  Then the pressure builds again when the pump comes on again.

Are these two machines programmed differently and is everything fine with them?  Or should they be behaving the same way during the clean cycle.  Should both machines release all the pressure and water into the drip tray numerous times during the clean cycle?

How does yours work?  Thanks for any help.
JMFishtown
JMFishtown

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 8:25am

donner Said:

We have two of these machines - one for the trailer and one for the home.  Both are A models, bought new within the past few months.  Both make good coffee.

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Donner,

Mine is a newer model that came with the blind and without the plastic insert; it behaves exactly how you describe your newer model.  I would imagine the original models had a different clean cycle as they would be using the disk with a hole and a cleaning tablet; so it would not expect to build up pressure like it would with a blind.  I seriously doubt there is anything wrong; just a different firmware.
shotcaller
shotcaller

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:27pm
Subject: Water From Hot Water Dispenser Smells (and Tastes) Horrible

Headline says it all.

I've had my BDB for about a month- I'm just getting comfortable with the machine and have pulled some delicious shots. However- I've noticed that water from the hot water dispenser has a horrible plastic taste to it. It is very strong- rendering Americanos undrinkable. There have been two posts (from 2011 and 2012) with similar concerns, but no answers. I'm hoping to get fresh eyes on this issue!

I followed all instructions when setting up the machine. I've back flushed the machine several times- once with the supplied cleaning tablet, and three times with straight water. My water filter is up to date. I am using filtered San Francisco Tap water (never an issue with my Gaggia Classic).

I've compared water directly from the group head and water from the valve and there is a noticeable difference. This is a good sign, as the issue is not affecting my espresso. It is concerning however, as I would love to use the hot water feature for more drinks, teas, etc.

Is this a known issue? Does/has anyone else experienced something similar? I want to love this machine, but the water really tastes horrible.
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 6:54am
Subject: Re: Water From Hot Water Dispenser Smells (and Tastes) Horrible

shotcaller Said:

Headline says it all.

I've had my BDB for about a month- I'm just getting comfortable with the machine and have pulled some delicious shots. However- I've noticed that water from the hot water dispenser has a horrible plastic taste to it. It is very strong- rendering Americanos undrinkable. There have been two posts (from 2011 and 2012) with similar concerns, but no answers. I'm hoping to get fresh eyes on this issue!

I followed all instructions when setting up the machine. I've back flushed the machine several times- once with the supplied cleaning tablet, and three times with straight water. My water filter is up to date. I am using filtered San Francisco Tap water (never an issue with my Gaggia Classic).

I've compared water directly from the group head and water from the valve and there is a noticeable difference. This is a good sign, as the issue is not affecting my espresso. It is concerning however, as I would love to use the hot water feature for more drinks, teas, etc.

Is this a known issue? Does/has anyone else experienced something similar? I want to love this machine, but the water really tastes horrible.

Posted May 29, 2013 link

We have two of these machines and have never noticed a plastic taste to the water; we often make Americanos.  

After reading your post, I pulled off a cup of water from the BDB (without any coffee or other flavoring in it).  No taste detected.  I'm usually very sensitive to a plastic taste in water.  For example, I won't use those plastic electric kettles because they cause the water to smell terrible - bought one and returned it.

You might want to try bottled mineral water and see if that makes a difference.  Of course, you would have to flush some through the boiler to get rid of the old water before doing a fair test.
showing page 218 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.528219938278)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+