Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Wire overheat?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Wire overheat?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
droletbe
droletbe
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar
Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 1:12pm
Subject: Wire overheat?

I have a Vibiemme Domobar, 15 years old (approximatively)

Maybe is it normal, maybe it was always like that, or maybe I do have a problem:

I recently noticed the main wire, connecting to the wall, is hot when the machine is working.
Not burning, but hot.
Around 45C (110F)

The wire information mentions it resists up to 105C (over 220F)

The machine pulls 17.5A (I measured it).
The wire, which is a big one, is gauged to 16 A
I found that 17.5A power a bit weird, as the element is 1600W (1600W/110V == 14.5A)

Any idea where to look at?

I have no documentation about the machine...

Thank you for your help
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 2:28pm
Subject: Re: Wire overheat?

My Isomac has a 1400w heating element and when heating the machine pulls about 13 amps (measured with Kill-A-Watt). The voltge here is 119v, so 1400/119 = 11.76 amps. Obviously there are other electrically active components dissipating power (Giemme box, SSR, etc) that drive the consumption up to 13 amps.

The stock cord was rated for about 10 amp, and would get very warm while the machine was warming up. I mean really warm to the point I thought the outer sheath was so pliable it was melting. I became concerned enough to buy a new power cord (for power tools) that is 14 gauge, rated for 15 amps (link to Home Depot). Since installing that cord, it stays cool to the touch and I feel a whole lot better about it.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
droletbe
droletbe

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar
Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 7:03pm

Thanks

I will go for that suggestion and replace the wire with a 20A gauge.

Any idea why the breaker does not trigger ?
17.5 A at the wall, and the breaker for that plug is supposed to tolerate 15A

I suppose it is due to its mechanical inaccuracy...
I hope the wires in a house are designed to support more than 20A (for the espresso machine, the grinder, and anything else that could be on the same wire)...

Your comment is very appreciated

Bernard
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 7:09am

Bernard,
If you want to correctly measure the power of the heating element you need to measure its resistance.   The heating elements are rated for a particular power at a particular voltage.  For example a 1200 watt at 120 volt AC rated element should draw about (1200/120 = 10 amps).  If you only have 110 volts then it would be a bit lower.  To calculate this you need to apply Ohms law.  In this case I will use the form (Resistance = voltage/current) and find that the resistance is 12 Ohms.  Then use it again in the form (power = voltage(squared) / resistance) 110V(squared) / 12 Ohms = 1008 watts.  

This also works the opposite also.  If your heating element is rated at 110V and you use it at 120V then the power you measure will be greater than the rated power of the element.

Your circuit breakers do not necessarily blow as soon as the current reaches the maximum.  Especially with a resistive load (heating element) the circuit breaker will allow currents greater than the rated current for quite a while before it blows.  

Normally wires are rated for less than their capacity as a safety precaution.  Additionally the cord ends are the limiting factor.

Can you tell us more about the size of the wire currently on the machine?

BillC
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 8:52am

To follow up to BillC's post - here's a sample calculation:

Machine is rated 1600W at 110V.   P = V*V/R, so R = V*V/P = 7.56 Ohms
Design current draw at 110V:  I = V/R = 110/7.56 = 14.55 A

The power cord is rated for this, and will run cool at this current.

Observed current is 17.5 A, so the implied household voltage is V = IR = 17.5* 7.56 = 132.3 V

This seems high, but your household voltage could just about be running this high.  But as heating elements age, they sometimes start to fail with low resistance, drawing more current (I've had this happen with an electric oven, constantly blowing the breaker) than designed.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 9:12pm

Your voltage should be exactly 120 volts, but typically can range between 115-125 volts under normal circumstances.

Typical Canadian circuits are 15 amps, thereby 120 volts * 15 amps = 1800 watts.

However, maximum safe wattage should never exceed more than 80 percent at 100 percent duty cycle, so 1440 watts.
(Notice how many 1500 watt hair dryers there are out there?)

As you exceed 80 percent current draw, the likelihood of the circuit breaker tripping increases, this all depends on the manufacturer
of your circuit breaker and its rating. (Some I've noticed are more sensitive than others.)

What is your measured voltage at the outlet? If your voltage is below 110 volts or above 130 volts, call your utility ASAP. If the voltage is between
115-125 volts, call an electrician to replace that circuit breaker, if only as a proactive measure. I've seen circuit breakers fail closed before.
New circuit breakers are worth considerably less than what a burned down house costs.

To determine if the cord is running too hot, put your hand around the cord and wait 30 seconds. If you can't hold the cord, then it is too hot.
A very hot cord could also be a sign that it is failing, replacing it with a heavier duty cord isn't a bad idea.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 9:29pm

Is it also possible that there might be some resistance at the terminal block where the power cord enters the machine? Maybe corrosion?

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Wire overheat?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.378011226654)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+