Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
I'm getting rid of my NS Oscar for the Breville Dual Boilers
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I'm getting rid...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Anunn

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 12:31am
Subject: I'm getting rid of my NS Oscar for the Breville Dual Boilers

Ever since I upgraded my reliable silvia to NS Oscar, I just could not make decent espresso anymore, the magic is gone, I just feel like the machine is getting in the way of me making coffee, not to mention there's so many issues with the oscar such as, constant wet steam, even when the steam is working properly it's so poweful there's no way I can make decent microfoam, and false steam pressure issue, there's even a 9 point power on procedure that I need to follow just to make 2 cups of latte every morning, I need to wake up 1 hour early just to prepare the machine. I felt that Breville Dual Boillers would require less processing and it can be turn on by a timer so when I wake up it's ready, before I pull the trigger I would like to know what are your thought?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 3:41am
Subject: Re: I'm getting rid of my NS Oscar for the Breville Dual Boilers

Your money and your machine. There are very easy mods to put Oscar on a timer but that choice is yours to make.

Someone is going to get a very nice machine in that used Oscar.

To power on, walk over to machine, push power button. Let machine warm up, bleed false pressure after about 10 minutes, let machine continue to warm up. I really don't know where you get 9 steps ???

More stream pressure in Oscar vs Sylvia is a given. A little work on your part will have you getting great shots with Oscar. You don't say what grinder you are using, I hope it is a good one as the grinder is more important than the machine and if you have a lower quality grinder, you won't be happy with the BDB either.

I have owned both the Oscar and Sylvia and the steps are the same with both machines in fact there are less steps on Oscar than on Sylvia as you do not need to switch to steam mode.

You need to wait at least half an hour for Sylvia to warm up just like every other machine so you will not be getting up any sooner for Oscar than Sylvia. As to the false pressure, just put Oscar on a timer anyway and let out the pressure when you wake up, most of the warming will be done and you will quickly be able to pull shots.

You will need to adjust to any machine when you get one, my machine makes Oscars steam look like a water kettle yet I can get great microfoam anyway.

I'm sorry if I am wrong but with you being so new to the board, I have to wonder if your motive wasn't just push a BDB as your points "against" Oscar really are pretty weak in the big picture and the difference in user interface between the three machines isn't that different in the brewing steps required to make espresso.

Regardless of the maker of the machine, you will need to weigh the dose, grind, dose, distribute, tamp, lock, pull, clean the PF and clean the machine.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 5:35am

Sounds like a big mistake to me.  Before you get rid of your Oscar, you should take a good hard look at the "Trick Out Oscar Party" (in mods and restorations) thread... Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

If you still don't want to keep it, well, then that's your choice.  Here's a question for you though...What are you going to do in a couple/few years when your BDB is "ready for maintenance" and won't work again until you send it in to the factory?  Are you going to ship it across seas or get a new one?  or maybe Breville is opening a repair facility in Thailand?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 7:52am

It is up to you, but I agree with the posters above and think you should rethink this decision.  With you being Thailand being able to repair the machine is a huge consideration.  Assuming your grinder is good I would work on my technique.  If you still want to change machines, consider a machine you can get serviced in Thailand or service yourself.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
greglepore

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 10:06am

Disclaimer-I have a BDB after my well used Oscar died. The issues you have with the Oscar are easily addressed, if they're your only issues. Check out the referenced thread. A pressure relief valve solves the false pressure issue. A different tip with three small holes will make microfoam a snap...
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 7:58pm

I can't address your issue about living in Thailand for maintenance down the road.
I'd have to think the NS product may be better attended outside of the target markets Breville is building today.
I can't address others points about the "Reach Fail: No Coffee" point on the BDB - While I'm on the journey with over 2500 >6 second cycles in the past 6 months; I do not have experience with RF:NC yet...
But, I make a very good cuppa joe any way I want it to come out with MY BDB - effortlessly; and that's the best I can offer you.
Sometimes what works for one isn't the best option for another.
Good luck, good journey.
-Chris
Anunn

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 7:12pm

I'm using the macap m5 grinder, after reading your comments I decided to give it another try, I just bought a timer which would solve the warmup time issue, the next issue would be the steam nozzle, I think a 2 hole tip would work, can you tell me where I can buy it online? As for the false pressure I can deal with that manually.
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 9:34pm

I don't know much about the Oscar, but I can tell you that making good coffee is quite simple and easily repeatable with the Breville double boiler.  No need for a timer, in my opinion.  It takes ten minutes or less to warm up after pushing the on button, and only about two minutes (including grinding and pulling a shot) before one can sit down and enjoy the coffee.  The steam function also works very well.
Anunn

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 9:36pm

Percisely the reason why I want to switch to the breville dual boilers.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 11:57pm

The BDB seems to be a disposable machine,many are on as many as three machines. The good thing is, yes they are fool proof, computerized,use some new
Australian engineering techniques,require sending in for cleaning and are made in China. I think you will be very very happy.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I'm getting rid...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359579801559)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+