Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Please read before you post New Machine buying question.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please read...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
LauraH

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 10:27am
Subject: Re: Please read before you post New Machine buying question.

As a brandie newbie member I very much appreciate this post as it gives some great start up info on what to look for and where else you can seek out how much more information you desire.  This entire site is rich with information, links  and of course opinions.  It's all good.  This site has helped me hugely to decide on what I will end up purchasing and even where I will make my purchase.  Yes, grinder, grinder, grinder!  If there was one item that all seem to agree on, is the importance of the grinder for WHATEVER way you choose to enjoy your coffee.  Let the varied opinions help to educate us all.  Thank you Mark for a great site!  Thank you Helen for a great place to start.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 9:08am

You are most welcome.  I wanted this post to do what you described, be a conduit to a great beginning by boiling down the vast amount information to a short summary. Then you can make an informed decision on how far you wish to go.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EndTwo

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Wed Jun 5, 2013, 10:12am

I think it would be wise to add two points:
1) are you willing to buy used or do you need new equipment
2) Do you have the essential accesories (decent tamper, knockbox, the works), otherwise budget about $100 for these.

-Sune
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 8:29am

good idea. Thank you.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Torie

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 10:03am

I want to make lattes
2-3 drinks
15 drinks a week
need a reservoir
have 15 amp but could run wiring for 20
budget is 600-800 dollars including grinder, but if it is a matter of a couple hundred more to get something better is possible
need new

i want to know more about the other tools and what you would recommend for a new machine
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 4:32pm

Hi Torie,

It is best if you opened another thread and asked your question there because machine specific threads can go obsolete.

As well, it is ideal if you use the search function on the forum before posting. There have been many threads posted on here with similar questions such as yours.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CajunCoffeePress
CajunCoffeePress

Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013, 10:42am

This was a great condensed to the point forum post.  I really gets new people thinking about what truly fresh and properly ground coffee is and opens up that world.  It should come with a caution "Once you have amazing coffee, roasted, ground and extracted properly, you will never be able to drink lesser coffee! :D"
SearchingEurope

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 12:32am

Hello Coffeegeek experts,

I am seeking the best possible coffee that I can afford for health reasons. New research indicates that coffee is an incredible resource for health and my last three months of experience with coffee has gotten me out of bed and I am now able to walk and I am in general getting my strength back - the only change I have made in my healthcare regime is coffee, so I am back to the real world and hoping to stick there !

So now I am searching for  a good source of clean coffee in europe.  I am in France near the swiss, german and italian border.  I have health problems that complicate things, that make me an inspired purist, so I need to avoid all plastics, any leaching metal - I use only 18/10, or 302, 304 surgical grade stainless steel, I do not use aluminum at all nor brass or gold, nor porcelin- I also avoid chlorine so I don't use paper filters.  I also need to preserve the coffee oils so I am not interested in cloth or paper filters.  I use a 18/10 stainless steel fabric for a filter-one  that I bought from an exotic fish aquarium supply company in Germany.  I need advice.  I never drank coffee before, I know very little about it.  I ordered a Pharos grinder, but after receiving it, found that the inside funnel is in black plastic so I am hoping to replace it.  I ordered a Chemex, but I cannot use their filters.  I order coffee regularly from the US and pay shipping, taxes and douane fees so I prefer to locate a web or a local resource.   I gather from your site that I need to buy green coffee and a roaster to to roast it in order to get the cleanest coffee possible, is that correct ?  Also wet processed ?  

I have many health resources, but I dont know how to use them with coffee.  I have a freezer that I clean food with that can do -40C - normally used for 24 hours at a time to kill aflatoxins, I have electronic devices, magnetic pulsers, zappers that kill fungus and molds, I also have two ozonators , I have an ultrasound machine that I also use to clean food.  I also have hydrochloric acid, hydrogen peroxide, lugols solution, very clean vitamin C.  (Usually soaking in Vitamin C overnight kills many molds in foods.) I have a high end water distiller. But I am unsure in the coffee world and don't know how to use my resources with coffee - how to clean it -and still preserve its medicinal value such as the oils in the beans.  I need knowledgeable people that can help me preserve the integrity of the coffee when cleaning it.  I love the taste, but it is not primordial for me, it is part of my medicine that is making a tremendous difference in the quality of my life.  

Any assistance, references or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  (I think just browsing your website has already helped me some, so thank you for that !)

Thank you also for your time.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 10:05am

Hi Searching Europe.

Your post is completely inappropriate for this thread and to this forum. Please repost your question to the "Coffee: General Discussion" forum.
Click here to go to Coffee: General Discussion Forum

Please observe the basic rules of netiquette and post to the forum which is relevant to your question, not to a sticky regarding an unrelated topic.
You are more likely to get the answer you want there.

Thank you.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
timedk

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 3:50pm

Thank you very much for this sticky.  Glad to have found coffeegeek
showing page 9 of 13 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please read...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.348537921906)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+