Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 17 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 11:58am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Dave, Thanks for the pump photo, did you notice any front panel flex inserting the group handle ?

The Duetto 2 had visible flex and the D 3 was improved by adding a support behind the front panel.

WS
 View Profile Link to this post
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 12:11pm

Thanks for the picture Dave.

I am curious about the flex in the front panel too.

You have mentioned using an 8mm gasket to prevent flexing.

There is  one I have found that says it is softer than other gaskets.   It looks more flat than rounded and I wonder if it is what you mean?

Wouldn't changing to that type of gasket take care of any flexing?

Thanks again!
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 12:23pm

This is what Dave said.. i dont see any comment about flexing

"Another is around the group gasket which although a  nominal 8mm is actually 8.3 - 8.4 mm thick and has to be locked in quite hard to be secure. It's the same on most of  the machines from Italian manufacturers and the main reason why most of them have strengthened the front panels on their machines. I have specified a very specific brand of gasket from an Italian supplier that is exactly 8.0mm thick. It's also a little softer and the portafilter locks in at the correct position and can be locked in with the lightest press of your little finger (should you so desire) and still not leak, or untwist under pressure. The gasekt won't last quite as long, but that's a good thing, because in an ideal world people should be changing them every 6 - 9 months depending on "on time" as they all start to harden after that.."
JaniceAnn

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 1:01pm

Do you know the name of the brand of gasket Dave specifies?  The one I was mentioning in my previous post is made by Wega.

I was thinking, if I got the new Quick Mill 2B instead of the Mini Vivaldi, that I would go ahead and get one or two of the gaskets and change out the one that comes on the machine.  That would take care of the flexing, if any, and also make it easier for me to lock the portafilter into place without straining my wrists.  I have a bit of arthritis anyway and if I can make it easier, that would be great.
cuznvin

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 1:07pm

JaniceAnn Said:

Do you know the name of the brand of gasket Dave specifies?  The one I was mentioning in my previous post is made by Wega.

I was thinking, if I got the new Quick Mill 2B instead of the Mini Vivaldi, that I would go ahead and get one or two of the gaskets and change out the one that comes on the machine.  That would take care of the flexing, if any, and also make it easier for me to lock the portafilter into place without straining my wrists.  I have a bit of arthritis anyway and if I can make it easier, that would be great.

Posted June 15, 2013 link

I really dont.. He is in the UK. Maybe call CCS and ask. Or maybe Dave can tell you the name..
JaniceAnn

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 3:50pm

How difficult is it to change LED lights?  

I was looking at them on Amazon and they have bags of 50 white LEDs for $5.00.

I just don't understand how they are replaced.

I was thinking that the blue LEDs could be replaced with white ones which wouldn't look so bad.

The LEDs on Amazon have two rigid wires coming out of them and I don't know if these have to be soldered or just plug into something.

Anyone know?

Also, what material would the cover for the LED lights be made of?  Some type of plastic or would they be glass?  I can't make it out on the Chris' Coffee
Facebook page.  I would assume that replacement covers would be available if they should accidentally get broken?
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 4:28pm

I am sure the LED's will last quite a while, and CCS will probably carry replacements. Main concern for me will be that the machine performs well and has good fit and finish.
JaniceAnn

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 5:04pm

I really don't care about the LEDs.  I just meant that if they actually are blue, as it looks like in the pictures, I think white would look much better.

I wonder if the LEDs are really blue?  My husband said that it might be that the store lights give them a purple/blue cast in the pictures but that may just be an effect
in the picture and not be giving the color rendition correctly.  I know that florescent lights give weird color effects in photography.

I was wondering what the cover over the LEDs is made of mainly for how it would look with the machine. I would most likely not turn on the LEDs anyway.

I am sorry it sounded like I was concerned about the LEDs burning out and worrying about how to replace them.  I was thinking about the change of color.  I should have
been more clear in my meaning.

I wish we would be given the choice of lights or no lights.  I really don't want them at all, but they really aren't a big deal since they can be turned off.  The main thing is that
nifty motor/pump setup which finally gets it right with the pump below the motor so it won't leak into and ruin the motor.  That I like!
cuznvin

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 5:33pm

JaniceAnn Said:

I really don't care about the LEDs.  I just meant that if they actually are blue, as it looks like in the pictures, I think white would look much better.

I wonder if the LEDs are really blue?  My husband said that it might be that the store lights give them a purple/blue cast in the pictures but that may just be an effect
in the picture and not be giving the color rendition correctly.  I know that florescent lights give weird color effects in photography.

I was wondering what the cover over the LEDs is made of mainly for how it would look with the machine. I would most likely not turn on the LEDs anyway.

I am sorry it sounded like I was concerned about the LEDs burning out and worrying about how to replace them.  I was thinking about the change of color.  I should have
been more clear in my meaning.

I wish we would be given the choice of lights or no lights.  I really don't want them at all, but they really aren't a big deal since they can be turned off.  The main thing is that
nifty motor/pump setup which finally gets it right with the pump below the motor so it won't leak into and ruin the motor.  That I like!

Posted June 15, 2013 link

I think we should be happy that CCS is even bringing this machine in for us. There was no plan for this machine to be part of the CCS lineup! I wouldnt give up until someone brought this machine to the US!  Forget the LED lights. Its a non issue.
DavecUK

Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 6:01pm

Just for a bit of information about gaskets. I fit exact 8mm gaskets on all my machines and it means the portafilters lock in really nice. If it's all fitting right, you can lock a portafilter/blind filter in with the lightest press of a little finger, hardly exerting any pressure....and it won't leak. Of course i use a tiny tiny bit of pressure, but certainly no real force at all. If the gasket is just slightly too thick, your on the steep rising part of the lugs and the portafilter has to be locked in much harder to be secure from untwisting under pressure. The QM  front panel has been reinforced at the rear, similar to the Duetto III or the Rocket. Although QM don't just use an extra plate, they have turned up the edges for better rigidity (just a tiny engineering detail some other manufacturers have missed), I was so impressed I took a photo of it for my own personal records and wasn't going to mention it in the review. The photo is below, with the arrow pointing to the extra folding to make the plate more rigid.

The manufacturers genuinely believe we want portafilter gaskets that last years, which they gauge by how far the handle eventually moves round as the thing compresses/hardens...by then your having to tug  it really hard for it to seal! I sometimes leave mine in longer than I should 9 months or longer...but usually I change them every 4-6 months. This is because they become harder after that and the feeling of a nice new gasket is so much better. Also I drop the shower screen every 3 days to clean group and behind screen as well as screen itself...so this often makes the gasket looser over time and again 4-6 months (and my machine is on every day all day) is a good replacement period. They are very cheap when bought in bulk. I buy packs of 20 and that's probably 7 years supply. I think if people changed them more often, it would increase demand and encourage the retailers to sell packs of 10.

The gaskets I like and use, because they seem to fit really well in Duettos, and QM machines among others are:

http://www.nuovaricambi.it    Part number 516528/N

This are an exact 8.0 mm, while others seem to be nominal and slightly larger....they also seem slightly softer. Must be different grades of Viton? They don't last as long, but so much better in use. You might find the machines come with them as standard though, because I have specified they are used for the UK spec machines. Chris will probably have got a standard QM group gasket, because they won't have bought supplies of these gaskets yet.

P.S. If your machine is on a lot less than mine, then 6-9 months might be a good group gasket replacement period.

DavecUK: reinforcing plate.JPG
(Click for larger image)
showing page 17 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.519080162048)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+