Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 220 of 260 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 9:16pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

toiler Said:

I have a shot time issue. I pull double shots with both stock basket and 20G vst basket.

Using 18 grams of espresso I get 36 grams of coffee in  23 seconds including preinfusion.  I think I should be closer to 32 seconds using 8 seconds of preinfusion.

If I go a little finer I get OPV valve causing fluttering, but I then get a longer shot time.

How long do your double shots run for?

Posted May 30, 2013 link

I shoot for 36gm in 30 seconds. So grind finer, don't sweat the fluttering, that's the OPV doing it's job. As long as it's not kicking in until after 9.

You're doing fine!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jchung
jchung
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby Twin, Breville...
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Breville...
Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 5:12am

toiler Said:

I have a shot time issue. I pull double shots with both stock basket and 20G vst basket.

Using 18 grams of espresso I get 36 grams of coffee in  23 seconds including preinfusion.  I think I should be closer to 32 seconds using 8 seconds of preinfusion.

If I go a little finer I get OPV valve causing fluttering, but I then get a longer shot time.

How long do your double shots run for?

Posted May 30, 2013 link

I've had my BDB/B for about a month now. I use 18g in an 18g VST basket. I pull ~ 1.6 oz in about 35 seconds (including 7s preinfusion).  My pressure reads about 9.5 - 10 bar.

I use the Breville Smart Grinder and weight the PF + Basket + Grinds before pulling the shot to make sure I have ~ 18g. I use the OE funnel when grinding into the PF and WDT in the funnel before tamping.
 View Profile Link to this post
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 6:23am
Subject: Re: Water Filter Replacements

JMFishtown Said:

Sorry WJordan, when Breville swapped my machine they told me to keep the filters if I wanted to so I have something like 14 filters; haven't bought one yet and won't be buying one for a while.  How significant is the price difference?

Posted May 30, 2013 link

Here in Canada, about $5 cheaper ($24 for 6 filters), but no shipping cost as I can pick them up locally.
toiler

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville 990XL
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Jun 1, 2013, 9:29am

JMFishtown I have the Vario W, fresh beans. New addition is the cool 30lb calibrated Espro Tamper. (Which I won at @coffeegeek 15,000 followers on Twitter contest. Thanks Mark and Espro!)

I adjusted the OPV valve, and it kicks in close to 10 bars. If I pull shot at 9.5 bars, it is too fast. Grind finder, needle flutters like mad and I get a 30+ second shot.

The fluttering bothers me, perhaps it is normal? This is the second machine that has done this.
PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Sat Jun 1, 2013, 11:04am
Subject: Needle-ing you...

Does it fluctuate the same with the blank? If not, there's something going on in your puck. I have no idea what in a puck would do that. I've noticed that shots that start out just shy of the OPV kicking in will slowly build pressure and have it kick in, which I attribute to fines migration.

How does it taste? How much is it fluctuating, that is, 2 bar in each direction? 1 bar? I suppose that could be a sloppy OPV.

I can see where that might be unsettling, but how does it taste is the real answer.

Also, set your OPV so shots pull at 9 bar and you won't have to grind so fine. The espresso mafia says 9 bar is perfect all the time. FWIW.

Next time I pull a shot I'll pay more attention, but I think my gauge only moves around .5 bar in total.

OH, you might make sure you put everything back together nice and tight when you made the adjustment, I remember a caveat about that somewhere.
JMFishtown
JMFishtown

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Aeropress, Espro Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 2, 2013, 11:38am

toiler Said:

JMFishtown I have the Vario W, fresh beans. New addition is the cool 30lb calibrated Espro Tamper. (Which I won at @coffeegeek 15,000 followers on Twitter contest. Thanks Mark and Espro!)

I adjusted the OPV valve, and it kicks in close to 10 bars. If I pull shot at 9.5 bars, it is too fast. Grind finder, needle flutters like mad and I get a 30+ second shot.

The fluttering bothers me, perhaps it is normal? This is the second machine that has done this.

Posted June 1, 2013 link

What dose are you using? Since you have a Vario-W i'm assuming you're going by weight
occoffeefan

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario W, Mazzer Mini...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 9:08am
Subject: Re: Portafilter spinning out of the machine - Breville will replace

I just talked to Matt at Breville USA.  My portafilter is spinning out the the machine. He said it might be the 3 flanges in the machine getting looser. There is a shipment of new machines arriving this week and he will replace my machine free of change. My machine is just over a year old. I understand this will be the newer version of the machine and my problem should be fixed with the newer version. Breville customer service is AMAZING!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Mon Jun 3, 2013, 11:41am
Subject: Re: Portafilter spinning out of the machine - Breville will replace

occoffeefan Said:

I just talked to Matt at Breville USA.  My portafilter is spinning out the the machine. He said it might be the 3 flanges in the machine getting looser. There is a shipment of new machines arriving this week and he will replace my machine free of change. My machine is just over a year old. I understand this will be the newer version of the machine and my problem should be fixed with the newer version. Breville customer service is AMAZING!

Posted June 3, 2013 link

That's great service on a dysfunctional design, IMO. I've found that I can cure the spin out syndrome by using the blank with some cleaner (I use a powder as the pills rand out). Just do a manual backflush and let some of the foamy chemical spurt out by loosening the PF, then tightening it. Doing that a few times seems to get rid of the oils that make it slippery in the collar area. That's my theory anyway.

I do that for about 10 seconds, then let it sit for a bit. Then rinse well.

I don't mind doing this about once a week, but it shouldn't happen in the first place.

When you get your new machine can you take a peek at the group head and see if it's majorly different than the one you had? Ooo! Take a pict or two before you send it off :) That is, if it isn't on it's way already!

Thanx for the update.
toiler

Espresso: Breville 990XL
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 1:44pm
Subject: Re: Needle-ing you...

It flutters the same with blank. I prefer to have a 9 bar shot without fluttering which is why I adjusted the pressure. Best to move it back down and let the valve do its job.  It seems to make better shots with the fluttering and makes them in the proper time so I guess  its supposed to do that.

I am using 18 gram shots most times, but I move it up or down a few 10th's sometimes. Mostly I leave the dose the same and adjust the grind.

Overall the flutter is about 1 bar, half up and half down.
PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 6:56pm
Subject: One bar..

That seems a bit much. I think my machines vary more like 1/4 bar, at most. Still, if you're getting good tasting shots then you might simply put electrical tape on the gauge.

Enjoy your beans!
showing page 220 of 260 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.389372110367)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+