Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
A new problem with my CC1 (brew pressure again)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > A new problem...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 6:03am
Subject: A new problem with my CC1 (brew pressure again)

Have been using bottled water for a few weeks and my machine has been making pretty decent shots... and this morning the machine was choked at grinder settings that I have been using for the last few days.

I decided to test the pressure. When I turn the machine on, it goes up to the 14 bar range sets there for a second and then just starts dropping down to about 3 bars and then back up to 14 bars and then back down to 3 bars again. My water tank is full of water so there shouldn't be any possibility of air. Also, I am seeing a full flow of water back into the tank on the return line when the pressure is dropping, so it is obvious that the pressure valve is opening.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 8:15am
Subject: Re: A new problem with my CC1 (brew pressure again)

Can you get it serviced under warranty?  I would write Bill and get it fixed.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 8:46am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Can you get it serviced under warranty?  I would write Bill and get it fixed.

Posted June 18, 2013 link

Bill doesn't actually fix anything based on my conversations with him... it would go back to where ever you bought it.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 11:42am

Came by the house for lunch. With my reading glasses on, I now know that I reported pressures incorrectly this morning. It is going up to 8 bars and then back down to 3 bars back and forth. You can hear the valve open at 8 bars, but cant really hear anything at three bars when the pressure starts back up.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 3:29pm

Well this is getting old. I got home from work, I ran descaler through the pressure valve for no more than 45 seconds and then it started working .... at least it is not going up and down. I is around 8.5 bars or so. I am using bottled water in the machine since the last time I had pressure issues and the vendor for the water says that the hardness is less than 5 PPM. I don't think there is much more I can do.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 6:11am

Either still doing something wrong, as nobody else has posted all the weird things you've had with the CC1, or got a faulty machine. What did Bill/vendor say? Have you told the vendor your trouble and see if they can check it out and find anything wrong? I think Bill had said they were set to 9-9.5 bar.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 6:32am

CMIN Said:

Either still doing something wrong, as nobody else has posted all the weird things you've had with the CC1, or got a faulty machine. What did Bill/vendor say? Have you told the vendor your trouble and see if they can check it out and find anything wrong? I think Bill had said they were set to 9-9.5 bar.

Posted June 19, 2013 link

I don't think I am doing anything wrong... I had a run of several weeks where I got drinkable espresso out of it with few sink shots.  I am not hardly getting that much pressure, but if the pump doesn't run too long, I am getting in the 8.5 range. I have noticed that if the pump runs a long time, the pressure drops a bit after the shot starts. I think this must have something to do with the pressure valve because it is still bypassing at 8.5 bars.

This machine doesn't have a pressure gauge, so you don't know if you have pressure issues or not unless you put a PF gauge on it. I think the continuing pressure issues may explain the large number if sink shots I have made since I purchased it last year. I fought it for months before I bought a pressure gauge. Once I got the pressure up and stable, I had some decent shots for several weeks. Then all of a sudden, the machine started choking on a grind that I knew it should not choke on. Put the pressure gauge on, and it was doing the weird pressure up and down. It's hard to imagine the pressure valve failing in a manner that would allow the wide swing of pressure I was getting... but none the less, that is what it was doing. I also think it is weird that I only ran descaler through the valve for 45 seconds and it went back to working correctly. I have been using bottled water that is supposed to have a very low amount of minerals since I descaled it a few weeks ago. Its hard to imagine that my problem is minerals, but then I know it went back to regulating correctly soon after I ran the descaler through the pressure valve last night.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 6:41am

Have you tried contacting the vendor and see what they say?  Never know, very well could be a faulty valve or something else, its a machine so anything could happen. Just like plenty of people have nightmare/lemon cars with honda or yota lol.

Sucks as I know you've gone so long with fairly poor shots
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 6:55am

CMIN Said:

Have you tried contacting the vendor and see what they say?  

Posted June 19, 2013 link

I probably wont be contacting the vendor I bought it from any more. I found them to be rather dismissive even before I purchased and I should have used my insincts and moved on, but I didn't. After the purchase was even worse. Maybe I have the wrong type of personality to deal with them because there is others in this community that thinks they are great.

I probably will buy another machine as soon as I can feel good about spending that much money and just put my old machine (9 months old) out for parts.
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 6:51am

Dean,
Can you post a pic or video of the method you are using to measure pressure?  Measuring the pressure that is actually in the coffee is not super easy and I just want to be sure you are getting a good measurement.  With all pumps, pressure is directly dependent upon the flow rate.  With a vibe pump it is even more sensitive.  If you post your method I would be more able to determine if the pressure you are recording is correct or not.

Bill
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > A new problem...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.496826171875)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+