Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrade from Saceo Aroma
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
j_smith

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 8:49pm
Subject: Upgrade from Saceo Aroma

I have a Saceo Aroma and a Baratza Preciso. I make great shots with it and it works fine but am considering a Silvia or Gaggia. I know it is overrated here but would rather have something proven if I upgrade. Would it be worth it to go to a Silvia/Gaggia or should I stick with what I have for a few years and then get a double boiler?
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 10:17pm
Subject: Re: Upgrade from Saceo Aroma

Personally I'd go CC1 easily over the dated Silvia, full pid control, preinfusion, and seperate thermo for steaming. But if you really want to upgrade, you could look into getting a used h/x machine which would be a big jump from the Aroma. Or a new one as they start around a grand (depends on your budget). As the only affordable dual boiler in that range is the Breville as the others start around 2k and up.

Preciso is a good grinder so your set there.
j_smith

Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 10:25pm

CMIN Said:

Personally I'd go CC1 easily over the dated Silvia, full pid control, preinfusion, and seperate thermo for steaming. But if you really want to upgrade, you could look into getting a used h/x machine which would be a big jump from the Aroma. Or a new one as they start around a grand (depends on your budget). As the only affordable dual boiler in that range is the Breville as the others start around 2k and up.

Preciso is a good grinder so your set there.

Posted June 18, 2013 link

I would rather purchase new and would rather stay with something that has a lot of parts and is proven. So for now Silvia, Gaggia Classic, or stick with what I have.
west77
west77

Espresso: WEGA 2 group Airy, Rancilio...
Grinder: Carimali M1, Nuova Simonelli...
Vac Pot: Cory gasketless
Drip: What's drip?
Roaster: Fratello ;)
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 2:45am

I would have to say that the question is almost unable to be answered by anybody but yourself.  Are you happy with the shots you are achieving?  What do you see as the upside to a dual boiler over the Silvia or Gaggia and is it worth waiting for?  Are you willing to spend the time / effort to learn what could, potentially be a more difficult machine (as mentioned, without the pid etc it may take a little more skill and concentration.)

I would have to say that regardless of which direction you choose it will take awhile to learn (it is the pressurized PF on this machine, right?)  My first machine was a Saceo Via vineto and I was forced to upgrade when it blew up (literally.)  If you are using yours with any degree of regularity and it is not brand new I would say that you may need to plan on a replacement sooner rather than later- though that is just a personal opinion and semi-educated guess.

read the review section, figure out what you need out of a machine, figure out what your grinder is capable of supporting and look at the budget, your timeline and your goals for espresso (do you want to start the search for the best shot in the northern hemisphere or do you just want a quick shot in the morning on your way out the door?)

I know I may not be much help as it was not really a concrete answer.  If you want a concrete answer I am willing to say that you should either upgrade now or upgrade later...
CWirth

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:15am

I would consider upgrading if you want something that would last a while.
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:19am

I started with an Aroma and upgraded to a Silvia. I had the Silvia two weeks because it wasn't much of an upgrade. Yeah, it had commercial parts and felt much more "professional", but the result in the cup wasn't too different - if you use a non-pressurized PF. If you don't have a non-pressurized PF, I recommend starting with that. SCG sells them. Are you fine with a Single Boiler? I only had the Silvia for a couple of weeks because I didn't realize I needed at least a heat exchanger so I could brew and steam simultaneously. If you need more thana SBDU, then the Silvia is not worth the upgrade from the Aroma. If a SBDU is all you need, then it's a step up due to commercial parts and better steaming.
j_smith

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:22am

west77 Said:

I would have to say that the question is almost unable to be answered by anybody but yourself.  Are you happy with the shots you are achieving?  What do you see as the upside to a dual boiler over the Silvia or Gaggia and is it worth waiting for?  Are you willing to spend the time / effort to learn what could, potentially be a more difficult machine (as mentioned, without the pid etc it may take a little more skill and concentration.)

I would have to say that regardless of which direction you choose it will take awhile to learn (it is the pressurized PF on this machine, right?)  My first machine was a Saceo Via vineto and I was forced to upgrade when it blew up (literally.)  If you are using yours with any degree of regularity and it is not brand new I would say that you may need to plan on a replacement sooner rather than later- though that is just a personal opinion and semi-educated guess.

read the review section, figure out what you need out of a machine, figure out what your grinder is capable of supporting and look at the budget, your timeline and your goals for espresso (do you want to start the search for the best shot in the northern hemisphere or do you just want a quick shot in the morning on your way out the door?)

I know I may not be much help as it was not really a concrete answer.  If you want a concrete answer I am willing to say that you should either upgrade now or upgrade later...

Posted June 19, 2013 link

I am using a non pressurized pf and am comfortable with temperature surfing. I also have a Baratza Preciso. I don't make many milk drinks. Mostly shots. And mostly for myself. I won't be able to upgrade to a HX or Dual Boiler for a few years. The reason I would upgrade now is if the shot quality would be extremely better than my current setup. I am happy with my shots now however there is always room for improvement. I'm trying to find out if going to a Silvia or Gaggia would drastically improve my shots or just be a small upgrade.
j_smith

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:26am

tglodjo Said:

I started with an Aroma and upgraded to a Silvia. I had the Silvia two weeks because it wasn't much of an upgrade. Yeah, it had commercial parts and felt much more "professional", but the result in the cup wasn't too different - if you use a non-pressurized PF. If you don't have a non-pressurized PF, I recommend starting with that. SCG sells them. Are you fine with a Single Boiler? I only had the Silvia for a couple of weeks because I didn't realize I needed at least a heat exchanger so I could brew and steam simultaneously. If you need more thana SBDU, then the Silvia is not worth the upgrade from the Aroma. If a SBDU is all you need, then it's a step up due to commercial parts and better steaming.

For now I only drink straight shots so I don't need anything more than a single boiler. However that may change in the future and that is when I would want to upgrade. If you thought that the shot quality was not much different going from the aroma to the Silvia would you think it would be better to just wait until my machine dies or is there some shot difference that I would notice?
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:46am

j_smith Said:

For now I only drink straight shots so I don't need anything more than a single boiler. However that may change in the future and that is when I would want to upgrade. If you thought that the shot quality was not much different going from the aroma to the Silvia would you think it would be better to just wait until my machine dies or is there some shot difference that I would notice?

There are many fans of the Silvia, and it is certainly a good and capable machine. I can only speak from experience. Upgrading from Aroma to Silvia was minor when it comes to the shot in the cup. There will be an improvement due to the bigger boiler, better pressure, and commercial components, but it's a minor difference - especially if you're already using a non-pressurized PF and have good technique.

Also bear in mind that the Silvia is VERY picky about grind. I had the hardest time getting consistent results with a Vario. I'm not convinced the Preciso will cut it with her. May cause more frustration than you want.
j_smith

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:52am

tglodjo Said:

There are many fans of the Silvia, and it is certainly a good and capable machine. I can only speak from experience. Upgrading from Aroma to Silvia was minor when it comes to the shot in the cup. There will be an improvement due to the bigger boiler, better pressure, and commercial components, but it's a minor difference - especially if you're already using a non-pressurized PF and have good technique.

Also bear in mind that the Silvia is VERY picky about grind. I had the hardest time getting consistent results with a Vario. I'm not convinced the Preciso will cut it with her. May cause more frustration than you want.

Ok. This was a big concern with me. I guess that rules the Silvia out as I do not want something extremely finicky. I know you have only used the Silvia but I wonder if the same applies to the gaggia classic.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.567916870117)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+