Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
PID + Rancilio Silvia
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID + Rancilio...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
faster

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ISOMAC TEA II
Grinder: Rossi RR45
Roaster: PIDed, Modified "My...
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 5:07am
Subject: PID + Rancilio Silvia

I know it has been covered here, and if I google I get 3000+ posts but I still didn't find the answer to: where do you mount the sensor or probe of PID?

I want to install one on Silvia, the wiring seems simple enough etc, just that part is not clear to me...Is there a drawing or something somewhere?

Does anyone use one with 12V DC power supply? I see many with 110~240VAC...

TIA
 View Profile Link to this post
Depauperate

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 5:35am
Subject: Re: PID + Rancilio Silvia

It'll depend on the sensor/version of Silvia.  The older version I believe had a well, and you can get a screw type sensor.  The newer ones most people just put wherever they feel they get the most 'accurate' readings for their purposes -- I'd guess, most often its on the top near-ish the cold water inlet.  The Auber instructions suggest putting it where the old t-stat you're replacing was.  That's a 120V system.

Picture below, but it is tiny due to the file size constraints.

Depauperate: silvia_insulation.JPG
(Click for larger image)
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 5:58am

My PID came with an RTD with a screw hole lug. I plan to mount it to the boiler with one of the screws used to secure the present brew thermostat.  My PID also is low voltage. I can't remember if it is 12 volts or 24 volts. the rectifier is internal so it can be AC or DC. I still have not decided where I am going to mount my transformer.

Phil

faster Said:

I know it has been covered here, and if I google I get 3000+ posts but I still didn't find the answer to: where do you mount the sensor or probe of PID?

I want to install one on Silvia, the wiring seems simple enough etc, just that part is not clear to me...Is there a drawing or something somewhere?

Does anyone use one with 12V DC power supply? I see many with 110~240VAC...

TIA

Posted June 21, 2013 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
faster

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 6:48am

Thanks.
My machine is V3 built in 2011.
What is an "RTD" with a screw hole plug?

The Auber instructions suggest putting it where the old t-stat you're replacing was.  That's a 120V system.

OK, that sounds reasonable, what threads are the thermostats on Silvia?

I found this, 12VDC Click Here (www.ebay.co.uk)
It takes 2 watts only@12VDC.

I am planning to run wires into Silvia from my Power Supply that plugs into a wall outlet. Meaning I don't want to mount the transformer inside Silvia...
cheers
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 9:45am

RTD with screw is like this, M4x0.7

Click Here (www.auberins.com)

or non threaded

Click Here (www.auberins.com)

The 12 v PID will require a power supply and the 120-240v can tap inside the machine via the on-off mechanism.  No transformer or power supply for the 120 - 240v AC, and you are stepping down to 12 - 24v DC.  The are all very low watts.

Many of the ebay PIDs have less than clear instructions and some are difficult to understand which model you actually get.  Many of the ads are for several models.  Read on the auber site above and you can get an understanding of what you need.  For DIY the PID algorithm is for brew and the alarm can run steam.

The thread is below Gaggia, but similar concept and there is also some generic PID stuff.  Look up Tasseloff, we worked through Silvia install including supplies on the thread below and one of his threads.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

Tasseloff thread

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/591130

Similar thread, by  Burner0000

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/608243

Other authors referenced in those threads, Calblacksmith and Frcn

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
faster

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 1:00am

Thank you, that's what I needed to know.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID + Rancilio...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.365932226181)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+