Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio Silvia vs. Baby Gaggia
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
arbous65

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 1:44pm
Subject: Rancilio Silvia vs. Baby Gaggia

Hi there,
I have a chance to buy either a Rancilio Sivia or baby Gaggia. I own a Gran Gaggia that has failed on me and I like to buy a machine as a step up from Gran Gaggia but in the lower price range. I have a chance to buy a used Baby Gaggia for $200 compared to a used Silvia for $350 or more. Which one would you pick and why?

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 7:01pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia vs. Baby Gaggia

I see that you are in Canada and that can make for differences in prices to begin with.  I do not think the Baby is a good buy used for $200.  The Silvia price at $350 could be ok, which Silvia and how used?

That said, don't get the Baby.  I say that having Gaggia and would recommend the Classic.  There are a couple of Baby dates and models and I am not exactly sure which you mean, but you can look here.

http://www.partsguru.com/GaggiaBabyClassandTwinBaby.html

See the "Review" note.  Also not an adjustable OPV on the Baby.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
AustinDave

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 7:14pm

I have both the Silvia and the Gaggic classic.  The Silvia wins hands down; bigger boiler, more steaming power.  The Silvia has been my main machine for over a decade.  The Gaggia classic is relegated to my office machine.
ntouch

Espresso: Rancilio Sylvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 8:18pm

I had the same decision when I was looking. I went with the Sylvia. I know one of the moderators on here and asked him before buying and his recommendation was the Sylvia has well.  I like it and would recommend it to anyone. Also do not be afraid to buy an older version. The are easy to open and work on, and their are lots videos on how to change parts or fix any of the little problems that you may run into.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 8:51pm

Recommendations often factor in US price and then the new Classic may be about $350 - $380 and Silvia >$600.  I often see Gaggia Classic recommended over Silvia then.  In fact as you approach the price point of a new Silvia other machines come into play.  I would/did spend the $375 for a Classic over a >$600 Silvia, but do not wish to turn the thread into a hijack.  The actual question was Silvia used vs Baby used and that is easy, don't get Baby :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
kafegeek

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: delonghi
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 10:56pm

I would recommend you Rancilio Silvia as well.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 5:39am

I own the Silvia with PID.  A great entry-level machine and it makes very good espresso!  I would get the Silvia!
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 1:15pm

arbous65 Said:

Which one would you pick and why?

Posted June 29, 2013 link

Neither but what I'd get is irrelevant given that I'm moving up to a DB.  Given your budget I'd recommend saving your money and putting that savings towards a better grinder.  You won't much from spending more on another SBDU.  As always, the grinder matters more and you'll get more improvment in the cup from a better grinder.  What grinder are you currently using?
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 1:37pm

takeshi Said:

Neither but what I'd get is irrelevant given that I'm moving up to a DB.  Given your budget I'd recommend saving your money and putting that savings towards a better grinder.  You won't much from spending more on another SBDU.  As always, the grinder matters more and you'll get more improvment in the cup from a better grinder.  What grinder are you currently using?

Posted July 1, 2013 link

He'd still need a machine as his current one doesn't work, can't have a grinder and no machine lol. But he'll pry need a better grinder even with the new machine as that Gaggia Gran is a pressurized portafilter.

out of those two choices, I'd say Silvia, Gaggia Baby is the blacksheep of the Gaggia family with design flaws. But also arbous65 there are different generations of the Silvia, know which one it is? And what grinder do you have? I looked up your machine and it's a pressurized portafilter unit, which is typical of low end/entry machines (no offense meant) for people who don't use fresh roasted coffee, or have espresso capable grinders etc, the pressure clip let's them pull shots although the shots are more like shots of drip coffee with fake crema (why their called crema enchancers).

The Silvia for example uses a normal basket (non-pressurized), if you don't have a good grinder, and your using some store bought under $100 junk, your gonna get awful awful shots and spritzes and channeling etc. I have a Baratza Preciso and that's the bare minimum for an espresso grinder imo, and it's right around $300.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 1:49pm

The Silvia is a better machine all around. Built better and tougher.  The steam power also beats the Gaggia hands down.  Also for things like being able to customize your drink or mess with it a bit to get what you want it's really nice.  For example the Silvia like other machines doesn't producse hot enough water for an Americano.. But you can say flip on the steam switch heater for hotter water. There are also a ton of mods like the PID that will help produce the same coffee taste you would get from a more expensive machine!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.381110906601)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+