Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Steam tips for the ECM Technika?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Steam tips for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 8:47pm
Subject: Steam tips for the ECM Technika?

Does anyone know what tips are available for the ECM Technika IV Profi and what thread type they are?
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 2:18am
Subject: Re: Steam tips for the ECM Technika?

What exactly is it you would like to know? As far as steaming is concerned, there probably won't be many differences to other prosumer E61 HX machines.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 6:04am

congrats on your purchase!  I'm sure you're going to love your new machine.  I would imaging that your steam technique will be similar to the Oscar, though you'll probably have less time to interact with the milk. Now, if you were going from an entry level SBDU to the ECM, well...that's a different story. I didn't see anything about the wand being a no-burn, which in my opinion is a very good thing.

I'd be very curious to read a report from you in a couple of weeks comparing the two machines (Oscar and Technika IV).

And yeah, I see no reason why you couldn't leave your machine on 24/7 if you plumb it.  I personally would continue to use a timer to have it on during possible duty hours if it's not plumbed (maybe even it it is). I mean, what's the chance you're going to use it at 2am?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Fred1

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 8:38am

I replaced a steam tip on an HX machine some years back.  As I remember, most tips fit a number of different machines.  Before you do anything, try the tip from your Oscar.  A call to your vendor will give you the specs and options available.

Fred
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 8:39am

Thanks, guys. I've finally joined the Chrome Cube Club! What I was asking is what steam tips are compatible with the ECM Technika IV? Say, if I wanted to go to a single hole (what I've been using on the Oscar), or maybe a steam knife? Basically just trying to figure out what kind of steam tips can be fitted on the machine. I know the wand is NOT a no-burn, which I'm fine with, since the Oscar also just has a silicone sleeve. Does anyone know what kind of threading the steam tip is so I can peruse aftermarket tips or maybe use my single hole tip (meant for the Silvia V3)?

And I should write a report, definitely. It seems to be everything I've ever wanted out of a semi-auto. Honestly, I was happy with my modded Oscar, but I need something more durable and something that isn't nine years old where I'm the third owner and my other half loves tea, so the hot water dispenser is great.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 9:33am

Don't forget that you need to draw hot water slowly. First you will get a lot of steam as the boiler is above boiling telp, then a few oz will be about right then the autofill kicks in and cools the boiler and water flow nearly stops. If you "milk" the water out, you get more hot water sooner than you would just by opening the wand and letting he rip. Draw at about the speed you get water from the group head or a little slower. Guess where I get my water at a constant temp and volume from? LOL!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kwantfm

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 3:39pm

My Technika Profi IV came with a two hole tip.  The place I bought the machine from also offers an OEM 4 hole tip...
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 3:43pm

Sounds like a mystery to me! Even Jim from 1st Line sounded unsure of the compatibility between any aftermarket tips. I'd love to try a Steam Knife or something like it at some point.

Also, unrelated question, I notice these nicer E61 machines have a shower screen that has no center screw, like Saeco or Simonelli. How the hell does the shower screen stay on??
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 7:12pm

Screen has a lip that basically hangs it from the group gasket. You remove both together. I take them off every few days or so...inspect the gasket and give the screen a brief soak in Cafitza, then a scrub. Then rinse well and put them back on. Oh, and while they're off clean the group under where the screen sits. They come off easy using a little keychain bottle opener.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 10:47pm

By the way to you have the model with rocker switches for steam and hot water or the usual rotary valves?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Steam tips for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.459302902222)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+