Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 113 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:51am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Hey all.  I know it's been a while since I've posted, apologies about that.  Got married last month and got tied up in wedding stuff.  :D

As for an update on the machine, the problem is resolved.

Looks like the cause of the issue was the thermosyphon restrictor in the loop.  Jim from 1st Line graciously worked on my machine, free of charge, after I dropped it off in his shop.  He even gave me his demo Cuadra as a loaner so I didn't go through withdrawal without a machine at home.  :)  While he had the machine, he said he was able to fix the issue by removing the restrictor and descaling it.  After he did this, the machine heated with no problem for two days.  However, when I picked it up and got the machine home, I was still having the issue.  Not sure why.

To remedy, I removed the restrictor and without it, the machine heated up to temp with no problem.  Actually a bit TOO high.  Went to about 215 at idle.  When I put it back in, the problem returned.  So, to fix it, I removed it once more and simply drilled it out a few MM and now the machine is heating with no problem and working fine.  It's running a bit warmer then it was previously, but not by a lot and working fine.  It now idles around 209-210 F and requires a slightly longer flush, but nothing I can't deal with.

Not sure what changed and why, after only removing the mushroom, the restrictor would cause this issue, but I can say with certainty, it was the cause.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.  It was much appreciated and I'm glad I was able to track down and fix the issue.
 View Profile Link to this post
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 12:02pm

Rob55 Said:

BUT ... I still have a leak I can't find. It's a small leak but who needs a constant wet counter, and this old relay isn't a good one since its case is smoked up too. So I need another relay, and I must still have a problem with the heat up on start up in the mornings. I won't be leaving it on all night.

SO... Jim any ideas on where to look for a leak? or anyone else? Tomorrow I will do a descale, but I am sure this won't take care of any of the current problems. I am glad I read this thread before i called and bothered Jim or Moses, but I would like to get any and all parts I need in one order... the original shipping costs from 1st-Line are HIGH as someone noted.. 10 bucks on a lb of coffee.... other items added on don't seem to raise the shipping much so I would like to do all at once.

Posted July 2, 2013 link

If it only leaks when powered on, you will need to have the covers off and look for the leak while overlooking the machine. Do not stick your fingers in there as you want to avoid personal injury. It is best to plug the machine in into a GFI outlet.

I am not sure why it is constantly repeated that our shipping costs are high. I checked two other competitive web sites, and we are in line for a low dollar amount 'one item' purchase.

Just so everyone has an understanding....

If you order one item, the shipping costs can seem high compared to the price of the item. However, do you know that UPS/FedEx have up to 20 different fees they can add on the backend for their shipping services. Fees included, but not limited to, are residential, outside normal area, extended areas, insurance, pick up fees, address correction, to name a few. And for those that believe USPS is the answer, then please understand prices can go up for those items to cover USPS losses (they take up to 6 months to pay loss claims and lots of followup) and to cover higher internal order processing costs (more work involved) to process an order via USPS.

Now, we could say everything gets free shipping and just tack on the cost of shipping to every item. However, for those customers who purchase more than one item, they would be penalized as the cost of shipping would be paid for each item or unit purchased versus the incremental cost for each item added. This is how some companies do it, especially many coffee roasters, as they blend the cost of shipping into the price of the coffee.  Then they say free shipping or have a ridiculous low shipping cost.

My example is when we sold a box of descaler for $6.95 plus shipping (about $8-12 depending upon delivery address) and my competition was selling it for $14.95 shipping included. If a customer purchased one box, we may be the same or slightly more. However, if a customer purchased 2 boxes, we were always considerably less as the extra box only cost $0.50 more to the shipping cost. Buy 3 and you really see that free shipping scenario was costing the customer way more!

On our site, we offer free shipping (at the time of this writing and subject to change) on purchases of $49 or more to match the competition. Do you really think it is free? Nothing is free. The prices of the products have a blended shipping rate built into the selling price. Thus, anyone who has an order on any web site (where the order minimum is $49, $59, $69, or $99 for free shipping is not met) is paying the blended rate built into the price as well as the actual cost of the shipping. From a company perspective, that actual extra $ covers the higher per order internal picking and packing cost as there are less items to spread this cost over on a per order basis.

At the end of the day, the customer is paying the shipping cost: in the price of the product when free (which looks the lowest), in the blended price of the product (which looks to be more reasonable but hidden in the prices of the item's sales price), or as a separate line item stated in the order (which looks to be the highest).

I hope this gives everyone a better understanding on the shipping strategies used by all companies - not just those in the coffee industry.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Rob55
Rob55
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 12:06pm

I have been so busy that I have had no time to do anything yet. I will report back when I have had time to work further on this.

Jim

I think you might be misunderstanding what I was saying about the shipping. I understand the shipping.... all that you said above I already figured out on my own. BUT the fact does remain that if I want to try a pound of your coffee, the shipping makes it unlikely I ever will. This is why I said I want to get everything I need in ONE order. If you are buying several things the shipping is defrayed over more items without the cost going up that much. My last attempt to lower the cost of shipping per item... I bought 4lbs of coffee. My cousin wanted 1, my daughter in law wanted one and I got one. The cost was still a bit high, so I got a 4th hoping myself or one of the others would like the coffee and buy it. The other 2 both seemed to like the coffee but didn't want anymore. I didn't care for it and gave mine away...and I still have a lb in the freezer that no one wants.

Your shipping keeps prices overall down... this is a good thing and I applaud it. But it does make a small order or an order with a small monetary value almost prohibitive. I am not saying I think you should change the way you do it, only trying to explain why it's said that shipping is high.... even here if I buy a relay its 40....50 with shipping... so if I need to get something in addition to the relay then I need to buy it at the same time. I will for sure try the coffee mentioned by a poster a page back or so.

1st-Line had been very good to me. Service has been excellent and I would recommend you to others without hesitation.

Hope that clears it up Jim ...and thanks for the reply.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 12:26pm

Jim:

Many of the roasters I buy from ship 1 or 2 lbs of coffee in USPS flat rate envelopes or boxes. Shipping on those is around $5. As I commented initially, $10 shiping to try a pound of coffee is cost prohibitive. It only makes sense to order the coffee if combined with other items. I could try the coffee out of curiosity next time I order other items, but it would not make sense on an on-going basis because I order coffee much more frequently than other supplies.

I suppose it depends whether you really want to be in the [edit: mail order] roasting business or if it is only a side-line incidental to the rest of the business. If you want to be a roaster, then I would think the coffee has to be do-able a pound or two at a time.

Just my $.02.
Carlitovich

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra 006
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 7:00pm
Subject: Hot water valve squeaky...

After about 1 month did first descale and now the hot water knob/valve does not turn smoothly and is very squeaky.  

I recall reading back somewhere on this thread people experienced similar problem.  Is this common that you need to re-lube every time you descale? Where exactly do I deposit the lubricant?

Thanks!
1stline
1stline

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 2:43pm

Thanks for the feedback on the shipping. I will see what I can do in the future. The obstacle we run into for shipping USPS is that some parts at 1 pound can not go in an USPS envelope or box, and the online store can not differentiate to give USPS options for a pound of coffee and not the part. That would just be 'too smart' for an online shopping cart system.

Jim

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

1stline
1stline

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 2:46pm
Subject: Re: Hot water valve squeaky...

Carlitovich Said:

After about 1 month did first descale and now the hot water knob/valve does not turn smoothly and is very squeaky.  

I recall reading back somewhere on this thread people experienced similar problem.  Is this common that you need to re-lube every time you descale? Where exactly do I deposit the lubricant?

Thanks!

Posted July 7, 2013 link

If you used too strong of a solution or you had too much limescale, then yes. The same can happen if the orings on the wands start to squeak. With the machine cold and unplugged, the stems will need to be removed from the valve and re-greased with NSF approved food grade grease, such as Petrogel or another one by Dupont, I believe.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Carlitovich

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra 006
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 6:56pm

I am looking at this as lubricant:

Tri-Flow TF23004 Clear Synthetic Grease - 3 oz. Tube
Pure synthetic based formula, performs in temperatures of -10 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
Waterproof formula resists oxidation, rust and corrosion
Convenient squeeze bottle fits into most grease guns
Provides an excellent seal on bearings and has a high load carrying capacity

The 400 seems higher than other lubricants that top out round 180-200.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 8:11pm

Carlitovich Said:

Pure synthetic based formula, performs in temperatures of -10 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

Posted July 8, 2013 link

I would STRONGLY recommend a food safe lubricant. Most all coffee/espresso machine suppliers (1st line being one of many) carry them.
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 9:06pm

Carlitovich Said:

Posted July 8, 2013 link

I don't know if I would use that. I don't know if it's safe for food and I don't know if it's safe for the rubber seals in your machine.

Go to HomeDepot.com and search for "silicone faucet grease". For less than $4, you get a little container that will last forever. The lubricant is safe up to 400 degrees and is for use on faucets, so it should be safe.
showing page 113 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.455290079117)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+