Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Nuova Simonelli Oscar no water indicator
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nuova Simonelli...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
udaman

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Nuova Oscar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 4:08pm
Subject: Re: Nuova Simonelli Oscar no water indicator

Is this the red wire at the boiler to disconnect?

udaman: ns oscar-30.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
udaman

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 4:09pm

Same wire from different view.

udaman: ns oscar-31.jpg
(Click for larger image)
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 4:33pm

That is the water level sensor connection. (Red wire in photos above.)
udaman

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 8:06pm

Disconnect the red wire from the BLP and turn on.  I can hear the pump on but can't hear or know if the pump is pushing water into the boiler.  After about a minute, the no water lights comes on.  Tried this a few times with brew button on and off position.  Still no go.
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 11:36pm

I didn't see the warning in the thread so...  Word of caution: DISCONNECT THE HEATING COILS NOW

My NS Oscar was picked up used.  I knew it had some problem, but the guy who sold it really didn't know much and I knew nothing.

So the symptom was the system would show low water reservoir light and not pump water when you turned it on.  Even after trying all the normal stuff including shorting the water sensor the indicator always showed.  But one thing it would do even with the light on was heat up.  After 15 minutes it was getting warmer and if you started the group flow, even with the low water reservoir light on, water would flow and the low water light would turn off.  It was strange and quirky, but I was learning and accepted it...  Stupid mistake.

Anyway, I was using the machine off and on for a week like this until one day it stopped heating up.  The boiler had run low, the system turned on even though the boiler low triggered, and the heating coil exploded in failure.  My guess is the heater relay was frozen on, so as long as the pstat said it was below pressure the heater would kick in.  Also the water sensor was obviously dead.  So what should have been a $150 repair ended up costing an additional $60 for coil and seal.

Until you know your machine is working right and the water sensors are correct I would disconnect the heating coil.  If you fix it and all seems well then great, but it sounds like you are getting the intermittent failure mine had just with a little twist in the way it presents.
Here is the controller I purchased and is working great.  (No endorsement of the seller, just they were the best price I could find.)
http://www.espressoparts.com/S_230

Again, JBoyt might be able to repair this for 1/2 the cost of a new one.  Hear good things about his service.
udaman

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 8:32am

I don't think the heating relay is stuck.  I left the Oscar on with the no water light for about 10 minutes at times and didn't feel any heat when disconnecting the water probe wires.  But good to know to watch out for.

Good price on the controller part replacement from Espresso Parts.  I was hoping there was a quick or cheap fix since I bought my Oscar used too.  I'll keep at it for while see if I'll get lucky.

Thanks for the link and suggestions.
udaman

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 10:14am

Update, not so good.  

Purchas a new controller and replace the 'bad' one.  Got it working again and able to pulled one shot.  Turn it off and next morning the problem 'no water' light is back.  Went through all the previous troubleshooting steps as before but still no resolution.  Call Nuova tech and he suspect there might be a 'ground' problem.  He wasn't able to clearly explain how/where to check or it's me unable to understand what he's explaining.  

Can someone post pics of what cable/where I can check for a 'ground' problem?

thx.
plindy
plindy

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: SJ Pharos Lido HG-One
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 3:05am

yellow/green wire on frame under the copper line to the steam valve and top bolt to the group head
unclear how the boiler is grounded

brain
                                   white
    gray                        red
    black                       yellow/green

red
     orange
     blue 2
     white
     brown 2 or red 2

2way

ensure 2way piston moves freely

clean blp
removing the red wire from the blp should have over filled the boiler and forced water out the steam valve I forgot to tell you to open
udaman

Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 2:26pm

Got the OS back from the repair shop.  Tech replaced the 3-way solenoid and OS is working.  Thanks for all the input/suggestions.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nuova Simonelli...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.321550130844)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+