Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Commercial/Prosumer Machine Recommendations
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
SupaMonkey

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 5:58am
Subject: Commercial/Prosumer Machine Recommendations

Hi Guys,
From South Africa here and our trusty Saeco "Magic Cappuccino Combi" has finally seen its days after many years of use. Ive read the sticky because Im a noob when it comes to machines, but I'll try to cover the general questions:

Budget: Up to 2000$, though 1-1.5k would be better ;)
Do you own a grinder: No
What are your needs (choose all that apply):
- Espresso's
- Cappuccinos
- Daily use
What is your experience: Aspirng Barista
Where are you located: South Africa

We dont have the variety that you get in the US and so forth, so here are some brands available locally that I would like recommendations from:
- KitchenAid
- Breville
- Saeco
- DeLonghi
- Bosch
- Smeg
- Krups
- Severin
// edit: found a few more local suppliers of:
- Jura
- Rocket Espresso Milano
- Isomac
- Solis
- Grimac
- Espresso del Capitano
- Carimali

Having said that, even within the brands we dont get all the models - so here's to hoping they have what you recommend!
From my understanding of the different machine types and such, Im looking for a double boiler semi automatic machine to make my perfect cup of cappuccino :)
Struggled to make decent micro-foam with the now dead Saeco we had, and I think it was an issue with the machine and not my lack of skill :)

Looking forward to your experienced recommendations!
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 7:13am
Subject: Re: Commercial/Prosumer Machine Recommendations

SupaMonkey Said:

Hi Guys,
From South Africa here and our trusty Saeco "Magic Cappuccino Combi" has finally seen its days after many years of use. Ive read the sticky because Im a noob when it comes to machines, but I'll try to cover the general questions:

Budget: Up to 2000$, though 1-1.5k would be better ;)
Do you own a grinder: No
What are your needs (choose all that apply):
- Espresso's
- Cappuccinos
- Daily use
What is your experience: Aspirng Barista
Where are you located: South Africa

We dont have the variety that you get in the US and so forth, so here are some brands available locally that I would like recommendations from:
- KitchenAid
- Breville
- Saeco
- DeLonghi
- Bosch
- Smeg
- Krups
- Severin
- Jura

Having said that, even within the brands we dont get all the models - so here's to hoping they have what you recommend!
From my understanding of the different machine types and such, Im looking for a double boiler semi automatic machine to make my perfect cup of cappuccino :)
Struggled to make decent micro-foam with the now dead Saeco we had, and I think it was an issue with the machine and not my lack of skill :)

Looking forward to your experienced recommendations!

Posted July 14, 2013 link

Go with the Breville Dual Boiler!  $1,000 pricepoint it's the machine to get these days!  It's a tank and I have heard nothing but good things.  I would also recommend a Macap M2M grinder to match.  

Breville Dual Boiler
Macap M2M
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
SupaMonkey

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 7:23am

Thanks! That is one of my top options, but the local distributor for Breville doesnt seem to bring in that model - only the cheaper ones!
I have asked them directly just in case though, but in the meantime Im looking elsewhere.
I've edited the original post with a few more brands I've found locally - but in the meantime, the one at the top of my list is the Saeco Royal Professional:
Click Here (h2o.co.za)

Seems to have 2 boilers and a steam wand for manual frothing :) Still looking though...
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 9:28am

Well IMO Rocket nukes Breville equipment. Rocket is more commercial quality machines!

If you  decide on a Rocket machine and you still gotta work with a $2,000 budget a good stepless grinder like this would be nice too but I would still go with a Macap.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 10:20am

DO NOT buy the Breville unless they have a service center in ZA where you can get it descaled and maintained. Rocket makes excellent machines. You may want to consider a Nuova Simonelli Oscar, which is sold in your country. Before you consider buying a serious machine, you need a serious grinder. Combi, and super-automatic machines (like the Saeco you linked above) produce a wide spectrum of espresso quality within a certain range, but still cannot rival a true espresso, ground, tamped, and pulled on a semi-auto or manual machine. So I would suggest you first decide if you are willing to devote the time and energy to learning the skills needed to make coffee by hand (such as with the BDB). If you just want a machine that does it all at the touch of a button, go for the Saeco, but do not expect it to taste quite as exquisite as a coffee you may order in a cafe.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 10:55am

Burner0000 Said:

Well IMO Rocket nukes Breville equipment. Rocket is more commercial quality machines!

If you  decide on a Rocket machine and you still gotta work with a $2,000 budget a good stepless grinder like this would be nice too but I would still go with a Macap.

Posted July 14, 2013 link

I must second this post and totally disagree with the BDB, I'm not sure why it was recommended in light of this quote.

We have members that are on their third machine while under warranty, I had doubt about that machine when it first came out and the track record since then has not done much to change those questions about it.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bongani
bongani

Espresso: Grimac la Uno, Giotto...
Grinder: la Cimbali Junior, Mazzer...
Vac Pot: Silex, Yama
Drip: Presto Scan
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 11:34am

Regarding Double Boiler machines, la Spaziale has a distributor and service center in your neck of the woods. And looking at your budget, you stand a good chance of getting decent grinder to boot. Also, there is a Nuova Simonelli distributor if you wish to make comparisons before taking the plunge. With the Rand looking the way does, you can still get a Compak K3 Touch, Mazzer Mini and Mahlkonig Vario with some change.

Yes... I'm in South Africa as well.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
SupaMonkey

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 1:47am

Wow, thanks for all the info and suggestion guys!
Im really quite liking the Nuova Simonelli Oscar but will be looking at La Spaziale as well!
Its not a Double Boiler, but apparently a Heat Exchanger which is roughly just as good?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 3:43am

Both  a HX and a DB are high quality machines, they just get to the finish line in different ways.
One is not "better" than the other. You may hear about a flush on a HX machine bit in truth nearly all machines need a warming or cooling flush and ALL MACHINES need a cleaning flush so in truth, the big deal some people make about a HX cooling flush is a moot point in reality.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 10:37am

IMO, the average DB is, at least in theory, more stable and repeatable than the average HX.  I have the latter and I find that the duration of the flush and the temperature of the incoming water have too much effect on the brew temperature.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.398223876953)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+