Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Accessories for new E61
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Accessories for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 10:14am
Subject: Re: Accessories for new E61

The gauge is good for two things (IMO). The least of which is just occasionally verifying that the PID is showing the correct temp, or to view the variation of brew water to PID display. Admittedly more important in the first week or two and whenever changing PID parameters. The other function is to judge the cooling flush. You can guess at it, and watch the stream and that will get sort of close, but in my experience, the flush time varies widely depending on how long the machine has been idling. It eliminates one more possible variable so that if something seems not right in the cup there is one less tail to chase to discover the cause. The importance of the thermometer increases in direct proportion to your desire to save coffee, and in inverse proportion to the number of drinks you make per session. All just based on what works for me. Your mileage may vary, return all film parts to proper reel, ignore the man behind the curtain, and always wear an aluminum hat to quiet the voices and keep them from reading your thoughts..

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Zevi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 10:35am

frcn Said:

The gauge is good for two things (IMO). ... The other function is to judge the cooling flush.

Posted July 25, 2013 link

Even when we talk about a double-boiler machine?
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 2:38pm

Zevi Said:

Even when we talk about a double-boiler machine?

That's the machine I have - the Vibiemme Double, and been using it for two years now.

Another factor I forgot to mention is that ambient room temperature also has a pretty substantial effect on the group temperature and thus the amount of flush that is necessary. I had Eric's thermometer on my Domobar Super and transferred it to DD as soon as the machine arrived. Maybe I became dependent on it, but I do find it a useful tool. As with any add on, play with the machine for a while and decide for yourself.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SylvainMtl

Espresso: Elektra Sixties A3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly with...
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 3:39pm

frcn Said:

1 - No
2 - yes
3 - No
4 - No
5 - E-61 group thermometer YES!

Don't worry about special baskets nor shower screens. Use the machine for six months before making changes like that.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

If you need Eric's TC adapter for this machine (Vetrano 2B), then save yourself money and buy an HX...
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 7:22pm

DeanOK Said:

Well, my name is on the list to receive a new Vetrano 2B when they are in stock. I must be honest and say I don't know why I am spending so much money on an espresso machine when there is other things I would like to have.... like a new CookShack PG1000 pellet grill/smoker for my outdoor kitchen I am trying to build up. I guess the smoker will wait a while.

Anyway, here are some accessories I am considering. I am wondering how you guys that have a lot of experience would rate the need for these... useful or just another money wasting trinket? Interested to see your comments.... thanks!!

1) VST Basket (is there any real difference from a standard QM basket)

2) Bottomless portafilter ( I know I want this, but put it on the list anyway)

3) Precision Shower Screen (I have asked about this one already... seems there is not many that have tried it yet).

4) Steam cleaning brush that uses steam from the steam boiler

and don't forget to add you own recommendations.....  :)

I want a Pizza oven and am on the VetRano 2B list also!! LOL
cuznvin

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 7:25pm

CarloM Said:

I have 1 and 2. Can confirm VST is an improvement over stock basket that came with my Rancilio Silvia. Love my bottomless portafilter - watching it is like coffeep0rn. :D

Will be buying 3 along with my Vetrano 2B. I figure if the VST showed an improvement, and the precision screen is the same sort of theory/mentality behind it (more even dispersion and pressure of water into the puck) then it can't be a bad thing, especially for $30.

Not buying #4.

I have a scale but honestly once I calibrated my Mini E, I don't use it. Don't use a timer. Using a yogurt cup for a funnel but just ordered an IPANEMA from OrphanEspresso. I have cups and matching saucers (espresso, capp and latte sizes) and demitasse spoons: adds a touch of class and my guests love it when I serve them from it. Knockbox is a must but I just bought a cheap Grindenstein, didn't bother with the nice stainless steel ones. Tamp mat is helpful. Will be getting a water test strips with my Vetrano when it ships. Also bought water filter/softener for the tank. Oh, Cafelat cleaner powder and a descaling solution. Coffeetool brush. Grinder brush. And a nice quality tamper. Those are my tools of the trade. Good luck!

I was looking at the Full circle sustainable cleaners from SCG.. Anyone use them?    I think I am going for a tamping station as opposed to a mat.  Be aware.. you only get two strips with the machine.. Which tamper are you getting.. Im looking at the Espro Calibrated ones..
cuznvin

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 7:28pm

PeterWWbeagle Said:

really Sound advice.  I am not trying to be flippant, but if you actually had the machine in hand and were actually diligently trying to make good espresso with it, I doubt you would be asking those questions.  Only when you know your stock machine  inside and out will you know what changes are better to you.  

Your statement that you do not know why you are buying the machine gives me pause for concern.  There are thousands on this forum that save their dollars and scrimp to upgrade.  They know exactly why they are buying their machine: they love espresso and its art form.  

There are several people on this forum who make great coffee, know their machines, their grinders and beans.  their  skill came from working at the basics, not from buying every new gadget.    I aspire to be like them someday.  

I applaud you for being honest about your doubts.  Good espresso takes time, money and patience.  not sure about  what it takes to be a good pellet smoker.

'

If you look at the video on CCS regarding the shower screen, there is a big difference in water flow between the stock ones and the precision one. My thoughts are...why wait? Get the best shot from the start..

https://www.chriscoffee.com/E61_Precision_Group_Shower_Screen_p/1460201.htm
cuznvin

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 7:29pm

Zevi Said:

Have to second that. With my V2B I'll be getting at first only what I classify as "tools" (e.g., naked portafilter, knockbox, etc.), no "improvement items" yet.  

This brings me to my big dilemma with the E61 temp gauge: on one hand, it may be considered as an important information device needed for proper brewing; but on the other hand I hope that once the correct temp offset is programmed into the PID -- the gauge will not be as necessary. And even more than that: it seriously violates the beauty and aesthetics of the machine in my opinion. For now, until I get to a point in the future where I feel that "I must know what's the exact E61 temp" -- I'm not installing it.

I agree about the temp gauge..
cuznvin

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 7:30pm

frcn Said:

The gauge is good for two things (IMO). The least of which is just occasionally verifying that the PID is showing the correct temp, or to view the variation of brew water to PID display. Admittedly more important in the first week or two and whenever changing PID parameters. The other function is to judge the cooling flush. You can guess at it, and watch the stream and that will get sort of close, but in my experience, the flush time varies widely depending on how long the machine has been idling. It eliminates one more possible variable so that if something seems not right in the cup there is one less tail to chase to discover the cause. The importance of the thermometer increases in direct proportion to your desire to save coffee, and in inverse proportion to the number of drinks you make per session. All just based on what works for me. Your mileage may vary, return all film parts to proper reel, ignore the man behind the curtain, and always wear an aluminum hat to quiet the voices and keep them from reading your thoughts..

You would do a warming flush on a DB machine... not a cooling flush..
cuznvin

Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 7:31pm

SylvainMtl Said:

If you need Eric's TC adapter for this machine (Vetrano 2B), then save yourself money and buy an HX...

cuznvin: thumbsup_zps1405a3f5.jpg
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Accessories for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.488479137421)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+